Lost all hardware profiles on my laptop

I have a Dell Latitude C600 laptop running W2K. A year ago, I had installed a
Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse and it worked fine. That is, I could
eaither use the wireless setup and/or the laptop keyboard and touchpad either
spearately or together alternating back and forth if need be. Then I received
a docking station at work where I plugged in the laptop and I used the
attached keyboard & mouse & monitor with no problem. Then I unplugged the
laptop, took it home, and used it as described above with no problem. I
received a Compaq wireless keyboard & mouse and installed it without issue
being able to use it both independently and in the docking station as
described above.

Bear with me, we're getting there, but I need to switch here for a moment. I
had an age old problem with IE in that windows would not automatically open
up in maximized position. Hence, I put a question on this discussion forum
regarding this and was told to drag the corners of the respective screen to
whatever size I wish to resize and click on CLOSE in IE. That this
methodology will retain the size for future openings. I did this and the
Compaq wireless mouse stopped working (not the keyboard). Also, this action
did not resolve the issue. Then another responder told me of a website where
I could simply download a free maximizer and the opening window issue was
resolved. I reinstalled the Compaq drivers to reactivate the mouse and it
still didn't work. Then I replaced its batteries and got it to work.

After all this, I took the laptop to work, plugged it into the docking
station and neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked - neither on the laptop
nor with the connected ones. I returned home, plugged in the wireless (via
the USB as always) and the wireless keyboard & mouse worked - but not the
laptop keyboard nor mouse. This is still true now. I took the wireless
keyboard & mouse with me to work and used the USB port on the docking station
and the wireless setup worked fine BUT not the laptop keyboard & mouse.

I called Dell support and we investigated the hardware profile setup. There
was a default setup at the time and they told me that if I took the wireless
to work and went through the docking station (as described above) it should
automatically build a new profile and everything would be fine.
Unfortunately, this was not the case. In fact, unexplicably, there is NO
hardware profile currently being displayed.

Hopefully, you're not toally confused at this point. It's difficult to
describe this situation without providing an adequate backgound. The BOTTOM
LINE is that [1] the Compaq wireless setup is currently working forcing me to
carry the keyboard & mouse back and forth to work versus being able to simply
plug the laptop into the docking station; [2] the laptop keyboard & mouse are
non-operable, and [3] there are no hardware profiles.

One other note is that I did uninstall the Logitech setup and drivers during
this process.

Thanks in advance for your review. Once again, I apologize for this long
recitation as typically I keep things short and to the point.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:05:06 -0800, William Peck <WilliamPeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
>automatically build a new profile and everything would be fine.
>Unfortunately, this was not the case. In fact, unexplicably, there is NO
>hardware profile currently being displayed.
>
>Hopefully, you're not toally confused at this point. It's difficult to
>describe this situation without providing an adequate backgound. The BOTTOM
>LINE is that [1] the Compaq wireless setup is currently working forcing me to
>carry the keyboard & mouse back and forth to work versus being able to simply
>plug the laptop into the docking station; [2] the laptop keyboard & mouse are
>non-operable, and [3] there are no hardware profiles.
>
>One other note is that I did uninstall the Logitech setup and drivers during
>this process.
>
>Thanks in advance for your review. Once again, I apologize for this long
>recitation as typically I keep things short and to the point.

Try using tip 2399 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com.
You may have to enable show hidden devices in Device Manager to get the non-working devices to show up.

You should use Device Manager to troubleshoot this problem anyway.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com