Windows 2000 ICS Issue

David

Good Afternoon,
Please, I need some suggestions. I am having a problem with ICS on a
small Windows 2000 network. I have three workstations, one host and two
clients, that have been working just fine with ICS for several months. These
systems are stable, Virus/Malware free and are current with the appropriate
OS Updates. Recently, during a file download from MS to one of the Clients,
the download stopped mid file. The Host continues to be able to see the
Internet, just not the Clients. I did not/do not see anything amiss in the
Event Viewer logs. After rebooting all the systems I noticed that the
clients no longer pickup their IP addresses from the DHCP component, of ICS,
on the Host. ( 192.168.0.x ) Instead the clients now "autoconfigure" with
APIPA ( 169.254.x.x ) which shouldn't happen if they can "see" the Host. It
looks like the "special" NAT and DHCP components "associated" the ICS
Service on the Host are not functioning? Reconfiguring the Clients for
static IPs ( 192.168.0.x ) doesn't fix the problem either. The list of
running services appears to be correct.
From an internal network standpoint, I can reconfigure the Host to use
APIPA by turning of the ICS Sharing. This action puts all the workstations
on the same subnet and the systems can see each other with the appropriate
system shares and other network functionality working fine. Obviously,
without Internet connectivity beyond the Host at this point.
I haven't been able to find a MS Article regarding this issue. It looks
like I may need to restore the TCP/IP Stack, replace the ICS components or
maybe something simpler I am overlooking?

Any ideas ??

Thanks
David Swift

jud

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

"David" <swiftd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Good Afternoon,
> Please, I need some suggestions. I am having a problem with ICS on a
> small Windows 2000 network. I have three workstations, one host and two
> clients, that have been working just fine with ICS for several months.
These
> systems are stable, Virus/Malware free and are current with the
appropriate
> OS Updates. Recently, during a file download from MS to one of the
Clients,
> the download stopped mid file. The Host continues to be able to see the
> Internet, just not the Clients. I did not/do not see anything amiss in the
> Event Viewer logs. After rebooting all the systems I noticed that the
> clients no longer pickup their IP addresses from the DHCP component, of
ICS,
> on the Host. ( 192.168.0.x ) Instead the clients now "autoconfigure" with
> APIPA ( 169.254.x.x ) which shouldn't happen if they can "see" the Host.
It
> looks like the "special" NAT and DHCP components "associated" the ICS
> Service on the Host are not functioning? Reconfiguring the Clients for
> static IPs ( 192.168.0.x ) doesn't fix the problem either. The list of
> running services appears to be correct.
> From an internal network standpoint, I can reconfigure the Host to use
> APIPA by turning of the ICS Sharing. This action puts all the workstations
> on the same subnet and the systems can see each other with the appropriate
> system shares and other network functionality working fine. Obviously,
> without Internet connectivity beyond the Host at this point.
> I haven't been able to find a MS Article regarding this issue. It
looks
> like I may need to restore the TCP/IP Stack, replace the ICS components or
> maybe something simpler I am overlooking?
>
> Any ideas ??
>
> Thanks
> David Swift

Whenever a network problem pops up the easiest thing to do is to remove ICS,
remove all the items related
to networking (Client for MS ,TCP-IP etc ) for both adaptors.

Power down the machine and remove the NIC's
Power the machine on and let Windows start up and settle to desktop.
Power down and reinsert 1 NIC , power up and let Windows settle
Power down and then do the above again.

Once all the cards and all the Network Properties are in then go through the
process of enabling ICS.

Let us know (most don't)

Jud

Jud wrote:

> "David" <swiftd@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Good Afternoon,
>> Please, I need some suggestions. I am having a problem with ICS on a
>> small Windows 2000 network. I have three workstations, one host and two
>> clients, that have been working just fine with ICS for several months.
> These
>> systems are stable, Virus/Malware free and are current with the
> appropriate
>> OS Updates. Recently, during a file download from MS to one of the
> Clients,
>> the download stopped mid file. The Host continues to be able to see the
>> Internet, just not the Clients. I did not/do not see anything amiss in the
>> Event Viewer logs. After rebooting all the systems I noticed that the
>> clients no longer pickup their IP addresses from the DHCP component, of
> ICS,
>> on the Host. ( 192.168.0.x ) Instead the clients now "autoconfigure" with
>> APIPA ( 169.254.x.x ) which shouldn't happen if they can "see" the Host.
> It
>> looks like the "special" NAT and DHCP components "associated" the ICS
>> Service on the Host are not functioning? Reconfiguring the Clients for
>> static IPs ( 192.168.0.x ) doesn't fix the problem either. The list of
>> running services appears to be correct.
>> From an internal network standpoint, I can reconfigure the Host to use
>> APIPA by turning of the ICS Sharing. This action puts all the workstations
>> on the same subnet and the systems can see each other with the appropriate
>> system shares and other network functionality working fine. Obviously,
>> without Internet connectivity beyond the Host at this point.
>> I haven't been able to find a MS Article regarding this issue. It
> looks
>> like I may need to restore the TCP/IP Stack, replace the ICS components or
>> maybe something simpler I am overlooking?
>>
>> Any ideas ??
>>
>> Thanks
>> David Swift
>>

> Whenever a network problem pops up the easiest thing to do is to remove ICS,
> remove all the items related
> to networking (Client for MS ,TCP-IP etc ) for both adaptors.
>
> Power down the machine and remove the NIC's
> Power the machine on and let Windows start up and settle to desktop.
> Power down and reinsert 1 NIC , power up and let Windows settle
> Power down and then do the above again.
>
> Once all the cards and all the Network Properties are in then go through the
> process of enabling ICS.
>
> Let us know (most don't)
>
> Jud

As bizarre as that advise sounds (and is if one thinks about it), it
worked for me today.

Scenario: A new client wants to do some office to office connections via
the internet (DSL) & wants to install Win2kP on one of the PC's. Having
run Win98 for many years (and continue to do so with little or no
problems), I agreed to install Win2kP on my laptop for testing & so that
I can become familiar with the OS. After having multiple problems (too
lengthy to explain here) with dual boot Win98 & Win2kP on the laptop, I
deinstall Win98, reformat the drive, and do a clean install of Win2kP.
That was at 7:30 this morning.

After the clean Win2Kp install I check the ethernet settings, load up
a firewall, browser (Netscape 7.2) & AV software... all still good. I
then connect the ethernet nic to the DSL router, load up NS7.2, log into
the DSL router, check the stats, all good. Next I do some browsing
tests, download a few 11mb files to test, all good.

Then... I figure that it's time to do the MS updates (SP4 etc) so I
click Start, Windows Update & IE 5.x (the one that came with the Win2kP
disk) starts up. IE then asks me how I want to connect & thinking
logically I click on LAN vs Dialup. Bam! I lose all connections to the
internet & the DSL modem. Ipconfig shows the same as the OP
(169.254.x.x) and no matter what I did afterwards fixed the problem.
Attempted fixes included registry modifications/restore etc.

About 4:30 I ran across your post & thought... that has to be the
stupidest suggestion I've ever heard. Why on earth would _any_ OS
require that you remove the nic, power off, etc., etc? At wits end I
gave it a try... and it worked! Don't know how or why, but it worked &
thanks very much for the suggestion.

Now I guess that I have to ask the question posed above; Why on earth
would _any_ OS require that you remove the nic, power off, etc., etc?
For me it was a simple laptop nic, but what if it had been a desktop or
rack mounted system?

Everywhere I look concerning problems for this OS are suggestions to
hack the registry, reinstall, restore, etc.; and now your fix to
actually remove hardware, reboot etc. (I don't even want to get started
on Logitech mouse un-support w/keyboard & mouse lockups during the
intial phase of installing Win2kP).

jud

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

"glgxg" <glgxg@mfire.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Jud wrote:
>

> Now I guess that I have to ask the question posed above; Why on earth
> would _any_ OS require that you remove the nic, power off, etc., etc?
> For me it was a simple laptop nic, but what if it had been a desktop or
> rack mounted system?

I work for a large company supporting EPOS units across the
UK, the fix came to me one day whilst on the helpdesk trying to configure
some test equipment that was
running our software on top of NT, the machine wouldnt show an IP address on
doing an IPCONFIG, so
I decided to try the above fix, and as you can guess it worked.

All our units run NT and most of our engineers out in the field come across
this problem almost daily and all now follow the same procedure of removing
the NIC.

I did once find out that if you remove the TCP\IP setting under NT then a
major headache occurs that requires
the registry to be edited but thats another story,

As for why, I dont know maybe its because you clear the network settings
once you remove the NIC and then when you reinsert it a new set of settings
are written, who knows. As for your question of "what if its a desktop" well
I answered that in
the first paragraph, as for a rack mounted system, I'll let you know if I
ever get the chance to wreck one.

Glad to be of service

Jud

TRENDING THREADS