Is it possible to defrag just one particular file

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

and consolidate it instead of doing the whole drive, my outlok pst is in
36000 pieces and I was wondering if it is posssibel to just redo that one
instead of taking days and days

Sure. Make a new partion that has nothing on it. Put that file in there and defrag it. Now it's defragged. If you want to put it back where it was, defrag where it was so that you have ample Free space for the file and copy it back.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:27:54 -0800, "bob" <bob@donotspam> wrote:

> and consolidate it instead of doing the whole drive, my outlok pst is in
> 36000 pieces and I was wondering if it is posssibel to just redo that one
> instead of taking days and days

The problem is that you need a large enough contiguous free area to contain
the file. If you have that, try copying it, and then deleting the original.
You should at least greatly reduce the fragmentation.

--
Jay.
(remove dashes for legal email address)

Any file copied to an empty partition will be contiguous, you don't need
to "defrag" it.

bob wrote:
> and consolidate it instead of doing the whole drive, my outlok pst
> is in 36000 pieces and I was wondering if it is posssibel to just
> redo that one instead of taking days and days

you could try contig.exe from www.sysinternals.com
which defrags single files

True. This was actually the way pagefile.sys can be defragged. But in that case you don't do anything other than move the pagefile.sys to a different partion; then defrag the C drive; then move it back.

--
George Hester