Linksys BEFSX41 Softremote VPN to Watchguard Firebox X

jhelfer

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
My boss is using the Softremote VPN client (10.3.5 build 6) sitting behind a Linksys BEFSX41 over Comast cable internet to establish a Mobile User VPN tunnel to a Watchguard Firebox X700 running Fireware 8.2.1.

This has been running without worries for years. Recently he's started experiencing some problems.

'Something' happens and he is unable to establish a VPN connection (the connection logs pretty much say "No Answer") until I reboot the Firebox, then everthing starts to work immediately.

Other ISPs - no problem. Other users - no problem. Outside the router - no problem. It's just in that particular situation.

I'm having trouble even forming logical theories. Any ideas?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
How about remaking his account on the firebox? If he is the only one having problems that would be a decent place to start.

Were any updates added or changes made to the firebox recently?

Does the firebox have any sort of IP filtering option on it that blocks spamming IP addresses? I've had to help a bunch of my friends with their firewalls filtering eachothers IP addresses during games and file transfers. All that traffic would trip the firewall and filter the addresses. That was with other firewalls though, I havent used a firebox yet so I'm not sure what its capabilities are. It may act differently for a vpn anyway, ya never know :)