ntbackup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hi there

I normally used Backup Exec for the backup purposes.

But for one of our customers, we will have to youse NTbackup.

I have used NTbackup, but never from command line.

My aim is following.

1. Schedule only one bactch file.
2. This batch file should do the backup of all the data specified in a
backup selection file.
3. I do not want to care about what tape is in the drive at the time of
running backup.
4. I just want completely unattanded backup where the backup software
(ntbackup) will perform backup on whichever tape is in the drive, without
checking the media name, tape name etc. The backup should just run and
overwrite whatever is on the tape. So this way it is up to the customer to
put in the correct tape.
5. For example, if the customer puts in Thursday's tape on Monday, it will
overwrite the tape on Monday since it doesn't care what tape is it.

I am getting confused about the command line parameters of the ntbackup
utility.

I already have 7 tapes in use and they are in one of the sub media pools
under removable storage.

Please help me write the command line parameters.

I am confused between the /t /n and /g options.

Please help.

Dhaval Brahmbhatt

Dhaval Brahmbhatt wrote:

> 1. Schedule only one bactch file.
>
> 2. This batch file should do the backup of all the data specified in
> a backup selection file.
>
> 3. I do not want to care about what tape is in the drive at the time
> of running backup.
>
> 4. I just want completely unattanded backup where the backup software
> (ntbackup) will perform backup on whichever tape is in the drive,
> without checking the media name, tape name etc. The backup should
> just run and overwrite whatever is on the tape. So this way it is up
> to the customer to put in the correct tape.
>
> 5. For example, if the customer puts in Thursday's tape on Monday, it
> will overwrite the tape on Monday since it doesn't care what tape is
> it.

I wrote two articles in Windows IT Pro magazine (www.windowsitpro.com)
that address your questions. They are "NTBackup Won't Work?" (November
2004, InstantDoc #44114) and "Want a Flexible Automated Backup
Solution?" (February 2005, InstantDoc #44990). The February 2005 article
contains a set of scripts that do everything you mention above (and more).

> I am confused between the /t /n and /g options.

/t tells NTBackup the tape you want to use. /g tells NTBackup the GUID
of the tape. They are mutually exclusive. On the other hand, /n gives
the tape you are overwriting the specified name. See my November 2004
article for details.

--
Bill Stewart

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

See tip 2265 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:54:24 -0000, "Dhaval Brahmbhatt" <dhaval001@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I normally used Backup Exec for the backup purposes.
>
>But for one of our customers, we will have to youse NTbackup.
>
>I have used NTbackup, but never from command line.
>
>My aim is following.
>
>1. Schedule only one bactch file.
>2. This batch file should do the backup of all the data specified in a
>backup selection file.
>3. I do not want to care about what tape is in the drive at the time of
>running backup.
>4. I just want completely unattanded backup where the backup software
>(ntbackup) will perform backup on whichever tape is in the drive, without
>checking the media name, tape name etc. The backup should just run and
>overwrite whatever is on the tape. So this way it is up to the customer to
>put in the correct tape.
>5. For example, if the customer puts in Thursday's tape on Monday, it will
>overwrite the tape on Monday since it doesn't care what tape is it.
>
>I am getting confused about the command line parameters of the ntbackup
>utility.
>
>I already have 7 tapes in use and they are in one of the sub media pools
>under removable storage.
>

>Please help me write the command line parameters.
>
> I am confused between the /t /n and /g options.
>
>Please help.
>
>Dhaval Brahmbhatt

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

How to schedule an unattended backup

http://www.firestreamer.com - NTBackup to DVD and DV