Win2K Server SP2 install hangs while installaing networkin..

itm

I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?

TIA for any help,
Ian

From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>

| I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
| at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
| installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
| something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?
|
| TIA for any help,
| Ian

At this point, you should have loaded SP4 long ago !

--
Dave

From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>

| I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
| at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
| installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
| something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?
|
| TIA for any help,
| Ian

I just realized MY mistake in my replies. This is a NEW install and I realize now I was
treating as a update of an EXISTING server.

/* * My sincere apology for misleading you. * */

--
Dave

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Disable any onboard network controller (if your motherboard
has one), or pull the NIC, until installation is complete. Apply
SP3 or SP4, then install networking components.

"ITM" <itm@nospam.com> wrote in message news:r5qb31lvlld5f3f0cnisvp4ip4b9glbk2d@4ax.com...
> I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
> at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
> installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
> something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?
>
> TIA for any help,
> Ian

itm

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:54:44 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>
>
>| I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
>| at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
>| installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
>| something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?
>|
>| TIA for any help,
>| Ian
>

>At this point, you should have loaded SP4 long ago !

I need to install SP2 from the original disc before upgrading to SP4
:0)

From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>

| On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:54:44 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
>> From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>
>>
>|> I'm trying to install a new Windows 2000 SP2 installation but it hangs
>|> at the "Networking Settings" stage: "Please wait while Windows
>|> installs networking components". Does this indicate that there may be
>|> something wrong with my NIC, or could there be another explanation?
>|>
>|> TIA for any help,
>|> Ian
>>
>> At this point, you should have loaded SP4 long ago !
|
| I need to install SP2 from the original disc before upgrading to SP4
| :0)

W H Y ?

SP4 contains all updates and patches from SP1 ~ SP4.

--
Dave

itm

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:18:37 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>
>
>| On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:54:44 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
>| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>|
>>> From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>

>>> At this point, you should have loaded SP4 long ago !
>|
>| I need to install SP2 from the original disc before upgrading to SP4
>| :0)
>
>W H Y ?
>
>SP4 contains all updates and patches from SP1 ~ SP4.

Don't have a bootable SP4 DVD.

Any ideas relating to my original question/problem?

From: "ITM" <itm@nospam.com>

| Don't have a bootable SP4 DVD.
|
| Any ideas relating to my original question/problem?

I am trying to get there...

There is NO reason to boot off any other disk other than the Win2K Server's OS disk. You go
to Microsoft, download the EXE version of Win2K SP4 (from the below URL ~129MB) and you run
the EXE file. If you have a i386 directory tree on the hard disk you then slip-stream that
i386 directory with SP4. That's it.

There is no reason to install SP2, you go straight to install SP4 and there is NO CDROM or
DVD to boot from.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1001aaf1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&DisplayLang=en

--
Dave