Home netwrk email setup advice

Evening All,

I have just set up a home network - one desktop and one laptop
connected with a wireless ADSL/router. I was wondering if anyone had
any thoughts on which email setup I should use.

I'd like the desktop to download emails and have clients on both
thedesktop and the laptop read them - so I guess I need a server of
some sort on the desktop and IMAP clients on the laptop and the
desktop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which server/client I should
use? Preferably free, of course!

Thanks,
Al.

<alistair_henderson@email.com> wrote in message
> Evening All,
>
> I have just set up a home network - one desktop and one laptop
> connected with a wireless ADSL/router. I was wondering if anyone had
> any thoughts on which email setup I should use.
>
> I'd like the desktop to download emails and have clients on both
> thedesktop and the laptop read them - so I guess I need a server of
> some sort on the desktop and IMAP clients on the laptop and the
> desktop.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for which server/client I should
> use? Preferably free, of course!
>
> Thanks,
> Al.

You can install Mozilla Thunderbird on each PC and read emails independently
of the other PCs.

I'd rather not have the laptop and the desktop downloading the emails
independently, though. I want to avoid the situation where some emails
are on the laptop and some on the desktop.

Thanks,
Al.

Use IMAP servers if your ISP supports the service, all email
will be held on the server.

| I'd rather not have the laptop and the desktop downloading
the emails
| independently, though. I want to avoid the situation
where some emails
| are on the laptop and some on the desktop.
|
| Thanks,
| Al.

I am currently using Outlook on the desktop, but nothing on the laptop,
as I have only just got it. The problem I have with Outlook is that
when one user logs on to the PC and downloads the email, the other user
cannot see it from their account on the PC.

This is because my old ISP didn't allow me to specify who I was
retrieving email for so every time outlook connected it just blindly
downloaded everything and stored them somewhere in the 'My Documents'
structure for the user.

I think, as Jim suggested, I need to see if my new ISP supports IMAP,
and if so I will set up the clients on the laptop and desktop to access
their IMAP server.

Thanks,
Al.

<alistair_henderson@email.com> wrote in message
> I'd rather not have the laptop and the desktop downloading the emails
> independently, though. I want to avoid the situation where some
> emails are on the laptop and some on the desktop.
>
> Thanks,
> Al.

What email program are you using.
Please include previous posts in your reply.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> I am currently using Outlook on the desktop, but nothing on the
> laptop, as I have only just got it. The problem I have with Outlook
> is that when one user logs on to the PC and downloads the email, the
> other user cannot see it from their account on the PC.
>
> This is because my old ISP didn't allow me to specify who I was
> retrieving email for so every time outlook connected it just blindly
> downloaded everything and stored them somewhere in the 'My Documents'
> structure for the user.
>
> I think, as Jim suggested, I need to see if my new ISP supports IMAP,
> and if so I will set up the clients on the laptop and desktop to
> access their IMAP server.
>
> Thanks,
> Al.

Can you set Outlook to leave a copy on the server for 5 days? You can with
Outlook Express.

Please quote previous messages in your reply. It's an easy setting in
Outlook Express (the Outlook News Reader).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com