Second Floppy Drive Appears - Why?

When I boot up my W2K (SP4) system with a USB Flash Drive attached, a
second floppy drive ("B") mysteriously shows up in Device Manager and
doesn't go away until I reboot without the flash drive attached. When I
boot up without the USB device and plug it in hot, the second floppy
drive does not appear. Any ideas why this is happening, if it's a
problem or how to solve it?

In BIOS disable "bootable USB".

TMitchell wrote:

> When I boot up my W2K (SP4) system with a USB Flash Drive attached, a
> second floppy drive ("B") mysteriously shows up in Device Manager and
> doesn't go away until I reboot without the flash drive attached. When I
> boot up without the USB device and plug it in hot, the second floppy
> drive does not appear. Any ideas why this is happening, if it's a
> problem or how to solve it?

Thank you. But my noviceness is showing... I forget what keys I'm
suppose to hit upon boot up in order to access the BIOS settings. Can
you refresh my fading memory?
Bob I wrote:
> In BIOS disable "bootable USB".
>
> TMitchell wrote:
>
>> When I boot up my W2K (SP4) system with a USB Flash Drive attached, a
>> second floppy drive ("B") mysteriously shows up in Device Manager and
>> doesn't go away until I reboot without the flash drive attached. When
>> I boot up without the USB device and plug it in hot, the second floppy
>> drive does not appear. Any ideas why this is happening, if it's a
>> problem or how to solve it?

It depends on the motherboard BIOS manufacturer. But it is usually "F2"
or "Del". Less common are F10, and Esc.