Intel vs AMD pipeline

Maneken

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I have a problem and a friend told me that I might find some help on this forum.

I have to write a paper on this subject: Pipeline on Intel and AMD platforms - description, differences, comparing etc.
I didn't find any quality stuff on this subject on the net. So, if you have any good link, I would appreciate it.

Thanx!

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Oh my, that's an enormous subject...
Also you should be more specific, as Intel and AMD have many different pipelines, depending on the CPU generation and target market (e.g. desktop or mobile).
Anyway, for this kind of subject, my favourite site is Ars Technica (link)

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Your question is undefined and can't be answered. Intel and AMD have made a lot of different CPUs with different architectures. Be more specific about the CPU architectures you want to compare.

Maneken

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
My knowledge about hardware is very limited. That's why I hate when they give such subjects which aren't specified well.
This is the original subject they gave me (English translation):
"Explain the differences between Intel and AMD pipeline platforms. Declare number of pipeline elements, and how they work in both cases"
??
This is all they gave me. Since in some lessons they mention K7 and K8 architecture (and compared Intel platforms), also there is something about AMD's Performance Rating, I think this is something where I should start from.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
K7 and K8 pipelines are similar, but not identical.
Concerning Intel, you might compare K7 and K8 with at least 3 architectures: Netburst (which in fact had 2 different pipelines, Willamette/Northwood and Prescott), Pentium-M, and Core 2.
Good luck! ;)