Athlon 64 3800+ AM2 or X2 3800+ AM2

moof

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I will be using it mostly for gaming and configuring routers wich one would be the best for my needs. And my desition is based on these two CPU's nothing else, hint no core 2, i curently have an AM2 socket mobo.

franatium

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
go for the X2 because it can be easily overclocked to be as fast as the 3800+ in single threaded apps if need be and it also will have the advantage of being far faster in multithreaded apps and great for multitasking.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
X2, no question. I just went from a 3500+@2.2G(single core) to an Opty1212@2.0G(dual core) and am running XPx64 on RAID0. Very noticable difference and the Opty blew the Athlon away in every benchmark at stock speeds.

What routers are you setting up that require any computing power whatsoever? You can do command line from a Palm III in a pinch.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with MISRy. The Opteron 1212 is your best choice, or if you're budget minded, the 1210. Either can be overclocked to FX-62 performance levels.

X2 4200, 4600 & 5000 = 512Kb L2 Cache per core - fair choice.

X2 4000, 4800, 5200 & FX-62 = 1Mb L2 Cache per core - good choice.

Opteron 1210 thru 1218 = 1Mb L2 Cache per core - best choice.

Opterons are server / workstation class processors, so they're more stringently fabricated, tested, selected and binned for stability, and are yielded from "cleaner" silicon semiconductor material. They operate at lower voltages and temperatures per clock, as compared with their X2 desktop conterparts, which make the Opterons the best overclockers.

Hope this helps, and good luck with you selections. :D

Naw-yi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I will be using it mostly for gaming and configuring routers wich one would be the best for my needs. And my desition is based on these two CPU's nothing else, hint no core 2, i curently have an AM2 socket mobo.

115.00 and 144.00 bucks are good prices for the cpus, now the question is when your playin a game will u be encodin, rippin cds, anything else? then maybe the x2 but remember that current games and few apps utilize the duelcore tech.

also, when the apps that do come out, in a year or so the duelcore cpus will have come down in price and the tech will have gone up. so spending money now on a tech that isnt really useable doesnt make sence.

did anyone notice the the upcoming games crysis (dx10 games)doesnt make use of duelcore technology? or they are not stating that they do.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Go with dual core. The increase in responsiveness is very noticeable just running a few apps in Windows. I don't like to have to wait for my computer to do anything, so I will burn a DVD while playing a game. To me, it doesn't matter that most of what I do is single-threaded, because as time goes on, I tend to run more and more things at the same time.

And hey, if you have an extra core you're not using, you can always load it up with some Folding@Home for team 40051. I have one core doing that constantly in the background while I use my computer normally.

moof

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Well it looks like im going with the X2, i was aiming towards it aswel but thanks to u guys im certain of wat i will b geting.