What is the Reserved for System Drive Space?

Disk defragmenter (Diskeeper 8.0) shows a large chunk of drive space on
my W2K(SP4) system as being "reserved" for the "system" (and it's not
for the Paging File, or Directories of regular files, etc.).

What is this space "reserved" for?

TMitchell wrote:
> Disk defragmenter (Diskeeper 8.0) shows a large chunk of drive space on
> my W2K(SP4) system as being "reserved" for the "system" (and it's not
> for the Paging File, or Directories of regular files, etc.).
>
> What is this space "reserved" for?

If your hard drive is formatted using the NTFS file system, it may well
be the Master File Table (MFT).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> TMitchell wrote:
>
>>Disk defragmenter (Diskeeper 8.0) shows a large chunk of drive space on
>>my W2K(SP4) system as being "reserved" for the "system" (and it's not
>>for the Paging File, or Directories of regular files, etc.).
>>
>>What is this space "reserved" for?
>

> If your hard drive is formatted using the NTFS file system, it may well
> be the Master File Table (MFT).

I don't think it can be that.

Space used by the MFT is not "reserved" - it has already been
used. There is also the MFT Reserved Zone that is set aside for
future expansion of the MFT, but Diskeeper and PerfectDisk both
label the MFT Reserved Zone as being exactly that.

Rob Stow wrote:
> Bruce Chambers wrote:
>
>> TMitchell wrote:
>>
>>> Disk defragmenter (Diskeeper 8.0) shows a large chunk of drive space
>>> on my W2K(SP4) system as being "reserved" for the "system" (and it's
>>> not for the Paging File, or Directories of regular files, etc.).
>>>
>>> What is this space "reserved" for?
>>

>> If your hard drive is formatted using the NTFS file system, it may
>> well be the Master File Table (MFT).
>>

> I don't think it can be that.
>
> Space used by the MFT is not "reserved" - it has already been used.
> There is also the MFT Reserved Zone that is set aside for future
> expansion of the MFT, but Diskeeper and PerfectDisk both label the MFT
> Reserved Zone as being exactly that.

Well, what can it be then? It appears to be taking up quite a bit of
hard drive space.