Problem with my ADSL internet connection

Infamous

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
Im an aol user, but i dont use the bluescreen front end, because it eats processor like nobody's business and seeing as im only really online to play games i need my processor.

so im connected using the little icon that you find in the network section with my pass and my username put in (much like how i used too have to do when i was on 56k bt internet).

my modem is a BT voyager 100adsl and for a fair while has worked perfect, but lately i have been having a real big problem.

ill connect to the net and load up say.. ventrillo and then world of warcraft, ill be playing happily for about 20minutes or so and my connection will drop, i have to pull the usb cable and plug back in to get back on.. and it repeats over and over and over again.
at 1st i thought it might be the game overloading things so i refrained from playing it and spoke to some friends on msn.. same thing happened there, and on further inspection it happens too when i use websites etc, seems anything that sends data down the pipe causes it too dc me.

ive run spyware, virus checks, ive uninstalled and reinstalled usb drivers, the modem drivers, the games, ive turned off the power sup options in the systems menu for the usb and the modem, im pretty much at the end of my tether... and asking aol or bt just leads back to them again blaming each other and thats pointless and waste of money.

if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be wrong i would really appreciate it. thank you all in advance.

Infamous

Distinguished
May 25, 2006
yeap.

seems after speaking to aol for about 3 hours (great fun) that they are now blaming it on bt laying new cables.. so if anyone else from the south east england area who use aol are having the same problems please let me know so i can at least believe a word they say lol.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Sorry for you.

AOL will never admit to any of their software causes any problem. I have made a living at repairing computers from all of the software they push down to users. Never checking to see if a competors has been installed. They never cleanup behind them, leaves all of the old copies on the drive. Do yourself and computer a favor and speek with your pocket book. And for the reaso thn they ask, nail them to the wall for there poor servce. That's the only thing they understand.

You may want to check your lease times on your ports. Also have your dsl line checked. A border line or week signal can cause all kind of problems. If you have the option of use a cat 5 cable with the modem use it. USB has always causes problems, particuraly if you have other usb hardware.