Windows and Office Updates

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.officeupdate,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Hello All

I am using Windows Professional 2000 and Office 97 Professional.

It is possible that I should have asked this question before doing what I
have just done (!), but:

Is there any reason why I should not download and install every update that
Windows Update indicates that my PC should have? And the same question re
Office Update? I had assumed not, but a friend recently told me of some
'known' problems with SP2 for Windows SP, and that installing it had caused
him problems such that he had ened up removing SP2. So now I'm wondering
whether it's alays a 'good thing' always to have the latest updates?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
Les
3 answers Last reply
More about windows office updates

    The short answer is yes, all Windows updates should be installed. To ensure
    the best success I always install the service packs right after a fresh
    installation, but don't worry about that. If you are not running a fresh
    installation it would be wise to disable your anti virus software. As a side
    Windows 2000 is currently up to service pack 4, and Windows XP is running
    service pack 2. You were referring to SP, could it be that you were talking
    about XP? In any case this is not terribly important as these are details
    that the Windows updates service takes care of for you. Good luck!

    "Ruth Isaacs" wrote:

    > Hello All
    >
    > I am using Windows Professional 2000 and Office 97 Professional.
    >
    > It is possible that I should have asked this question before doing what I
    > have just done (!), but:
    >
    > Is there any reason why I should not download and install every update that
    > Windows Update indicates that my PC should have? And the same question re
    > Office Update? I had assumed not, but a friend recently told me of some
    > 'known' problems with SP2 for Windows SP, and that installing it had caused
    > him problems such that he had ened up removing SP2. So now I'm wondering
    > whether it's alays a 'good thing' always to have the latest updates?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any advice.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Les

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.officeupdate,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Personally I would suggest always getting the latest updates as they provide
    the latest in security among other things. As far as office update goes
    support begins at Office 2000 so you can't scan for Office 97 updates.

    Thanks,
    Ryan

    "Ruth Isaacs" <leslie@gppayroll.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > I am using Windows Professional 2000 and Office 97 Professional.
    >
    > It is possible that I should have asked this question before doing what I
    > have just done (!), but:
    >
    > Is there any reason why I should not download and install every update
    > that
    > Windows Update indicates that my PC should have? And the same question re
    > Office Update? I had assumed not, but a friend recently told me of some
    > 'known' problems with SP2 for Windows SP, and that installing it had
    > caused
    > him problems such that he had ened up removing SP2. So now I'm wondering
    > whether it's alays a 'good thing' always to have the latest updates?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any advice.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Les

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.officeupdate,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Ruth Isaacs wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > I am using Windows Professional 2000 and Office 97 Professional.
    >
    > It is possible that I should have asked this question before doing what I
    > have just done (!), but:
    >
    > Is there any reason why I should not download and install every update that
    > Windows Update indicates that my PC should have? And the same question re
    > Office Update? I had assumed not, but a friend recently told me of some
    > 'known' problems with SP2 for Windows SP, and that installing it had caused
    > him problems such that he had ened up removing SP2. So now I'm wondering
    > whether it's alays a 'good thing' always to have the latest updates?
    >
    > I would be very grateful for any advice.
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Les

    Due to the nearly infinite number of possible combinations of
    hardware, device drivers, and applications on any given PC, it's
    impossible to guarantee that all patches will be 100% harmless. In a
    very small number of cases, patches and hotfixes can cause conflicts or
    other problems. So, as with all changes to an OS, caution is advised.

    All "Critical" updates should be installed. These address serious
    issues that can affect a large number of computers. There will be only
    rare occasions when a Critical update will not apply. Of special
    importance are those that address security vulnerabilities. If people
    had installed the available critical updates in July, the Blaster and
    Welchia worms would not have spread throughout the Internet the
    following month. In the unlikely event that problems do develop, you
    can always use the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs applet to
    uninstall the troublesome hotfix.

    For the "Recommended" updates, simply study the information
    provided to see if these updates apply in your specific situation. If
    they don't apply, or you're not experiencing the problem(s) addressed,
    you needn't install them. Again, in the unlikely event that problems do
    develop, you can always use the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs
    applet to uninstall the troublesome hotfix.

    In general, though, I've found it best not to download the "Driver"
    updates from Windows Update, unless they're for a hardware device
    originally manufactured by Microsoft. Device drivers provided by each
    component's manufacturer's web site are likely to perform better and
    offer more features than will the watered-down, "generic" drivers that
    those manufacturers provide to Microsoft for distribution via Windows
    Update.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: