Dual NICs configuration

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a win2k server with 2 nics. One NIC for my internal network (NIC1) &
the other one to access the internet (NIC2). NIC1 cannot access the internet.
I need to be able to do the following:

1. I need internet explorer (IE) to default to the external NIC (NIC2). and
I need to be able to access that server remotely from my internal network
(via NIC1).

I tried increasing the metric on NIC1 (metric=2) and set NIC2 metric to 1.
This made IE default to NIC2 but unfortunately knocked out network
connectivity on NIC1. That is, I was no longer able to access that server
remotely from my internal network.

Is there a way to do the above? Thanks

Visit this site:
http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Configuring_ISA_Server_Interface_Settings.html

It shows configuration using ISA server...but if you dont use ISA, the basic
setup is the same....use what you need and forget the rest.

SR

"James" wrote:

> I have a win2k server with 2 nics. One NIC for my internal network (NIC1) &
> the other one to access the internet (NIC2). NIC1 cannot access the internet.
> I need to be able to do the following:
>
> 1. I need internet explorer (IE) to default to the external NIC (NIC2). and
> I need to be able to access that server remotely from my internal network
> (via NIC1).
>
> I tried increasing the metric on NIC1 (metric=2) and set NIC2 metric to 1.
> This made IE default to NIC2 but unfortunately knocked out network
> connectivity on NIC1. That is, I was no longer able to access that server
> remotely from my internal network.
>
> Is there a way to do the above? Thanks

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks steve841. I did that configuration. It works but I noticed that IE is
slower to launch. This I would imagine is due to the fact that the binding
order is higher for the internal NIC (NIC1) based on the ISA configuration
mentioned below. Is there a way to speed IE launch process - make IE default
to NIC2 rather NIC1?