Video Tutorial On Swapping PSU?

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Ive never changed my PSU before and i will soon have to. Althought ive been reading quite a lot of tutorials in different sites, i would appreciate if any of you could point me in the direction to any actual video tutorials on how to switch a PSU?
Good text manuals are also appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Im not sure right now im at work. Its a Gigabyte, from last year. It runs a Pentium D so it cant be too old. So, after i plug all the stuff in to the cables, and there are some left over, what do i do? i just leave them hanging inside there?

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
So i uhmm...Just connect the ones i want and leave the others wrapped up and "hanging"?
Also, no software or OS settings have to be changed, right? I just turn the computer off, swap, and power it back on without altering any settings before or after right?

Im very sorry to be asking this here but some manuals just dont explain everything properly and there are always doubts when the risk is to completley fry your computer :(

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
You have no risk of frying anything. You won't be able to get a connector into the wrong spot. As i said you have nothing to wory about. Yes you can just leave leftover cables hanging or tuck them into an empty drive bay. Whatever you want to do. No settings need to be changed. It's just shut down and swap that's it.

Once again you have no wories. You won't fry your system if you forget to plug somthing in. If you have any problems just check that all the components that need power have it. Many people spend alot of time when connecting a PSU. Not because they are worried about problems but because they want to rout the cables neatly through the case. This helps prevent the cables from blocking the airflow through the system. Some people like me go as far as routing a couple of cables under the motherboard to keep them out of the way. No big deal.

But wait ... you neglected to mention THE CATCH.
Oh my friend, you do not know what perils await you if you dont know THE CATCH. Not knowing THE CATCH and daring to change PSUs is akin to jumping into a pool full of sharks with a snowboard and three rotten apples.

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I see. Well, thankyou so much :) I guess im just worrying too much because it seems like a complex operation. It does seem pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.