USB question

I'm having some problems with two of my four USB 2.0 ports, added via a
new card six months ago (motherboard has two USB 1.1 ports). Whenever I
try to re-install the drivers, Windows tells me that "a function driver
was not specified for this device instance."

I've played around with drivers and .INF files and Device Manager long
enough to suspect that it's not going to get fixed this way. What do
folks think about the solution of unplugging the card and plunking it
down in another slot? Seems like Windows'll be forced to re-do
everything...

Some questions first: did the card work fine when you first installed
it?

If so..

Unpluging and replugging is fairly safe. But not guarenteed. If it's a
failure of the slot it might work. PCI slots do on occasion die.

In article <1111037604.838224.251030@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
paulmd@efn.org says...

> Some questions first: did the card work fine when you first installed
> it?

Yup.

> If so..
>
> Unpluging and replugging is fairly safe. But not guarenteed. If it's a
> failure of the slot it might work. PCI slots do on occasion die.

I'm assuming (hoping!?) that Windows got confused about drivers,
pointers, registry entries and who knows what else. Now two of the four
ports work and two others don't. Figured switching slots would force
Windows to reassess the whole situation...

1 card, 4 ports, 2 of which are live, the other 2 dead (but once
worked)= failing usb card. Sorry, but it's pretty much an all or
nothing on windows confusion..
The good news is, after only 6 months, it might be under warrenty.
Check with manufacturer.

Windows will, of course reassess if you swich slots. But the
reassessment is likely to be the same. Its a safe, and cheap
expiriment, you might as well try and see what happens.

In article <1111117778.893103.296880@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
paulmd@efn.org says...
> 1 card, 4 ports, 2 of which are live, the other 2 dead (but once
> worked)= failing usb card. Sorry, but it's pretty much an all or
> nothing on windows confusion..
> The good news is, after only 6 months, it might be under warrenty.
> Check with manufacturer.
>
> Windows will, of course reassess if you swich slots. But the
> reassessment is likely to be the same. Its a safe, and cheap
> expiriment, you might as well try and see what happens.

Thanks for this. I actually misspoke -- I don't have two bad physical
ports; I have two devices where no matter on which port I put them,
don't work. (But yeah -- they USED to!) Bad drivers, bad devices, bad
software?

>Thanks for this. I actually misspoke -- I don't have two >bad
physical ports; I have two devices where no matter on >which port I put
them, don't work. (But yeah -- they USED >to!) Bad drivers, bad
devices, bad software?

THAT is a very different issue. So, some questions:

1) what are the two devices (be as specific as you can)
2) do they have anything in common? Do they share a usb hub, or a
splitter?

3) Have you tried different cables? USB2 devices do need usb2 cables to
take advantage of the higher bitrates. It could be that some also
require a usb2 cable to function at all.

4) What about the power source? Do the devices power up at all? No
loose connections? Do you have a good surge protector capable of
powering all of the devices connected to your computer? Are all the
plugs on the protector operating?

In article <1111205318.767059.221350@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
paulmd@efn.org says...

> >Thanks for this. I actually misspoke -- I don't have two >bad
> physical ports; I have two devices where no matter on >which port I put
> them, don't work. (But yeah -- they USED >to!) Bad drivers, bad
> devices, bad software?
>
> THAT is a very different issue. So, some questions:
>
> 1) what are the two devices (be as specific as you can)
> 2) do they have anything in common? Do they share a usb hub, or a
> splitter?

Yep, they sure do have something in common: they're (1) my digital
camera, and (2) the card reader for my camera's memory card. I'm not
sure what a USB hub is. Anywhere I plug them on either my onboard USB
1.1 ports (two of 'em) or any of the ports of the added USB 2.0 card
(four of 'em) they don't work. Yet my cell phone data cable and my MP3
player both work plugged into the same USB 2.0 ports.

> 3) Have you tried different cables? USB2 devices do need usb2 cables to
> take advantage of the higher bitrates. It could be that some also
> require a usb2 cable to function at all.

No, I haven't, especially since both of them worked two weeks ago! (And
the camera's port is USB 1.1!)

> 4) What about the power source? Do the devices power up at all? No
> loose connections? Do you have a good surge protector capable of
> powering all of the devices connected to your computer? Are all the
> plugs on the protector operating?

The cardreader lights up. The camera turns on (separate power source,
of course) but just doesn't communicate with the computer at all. I
tried jiggling the connections, and reseating 'em -- no luck. No, I
don't have a surge protector...

I have a feeling that it's some weird software thing, considering that
there's that little yellow exclamation point on the 'USB Device' in
Device Manager and whenever I try to reinstall it keeps telling me: "The
installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
device instance."

Fun 'n' games with computers...

Rick C. wrote:
> In article <1111205318.767059.221350@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> paulmd@efn.org says...
> >
> > > Thanks for this. I actually misspoke -- I don't have
> > > two bad physical ports; I have two devices where no
> > > matter on which port I put them, don't work. (But
> > > yeah -- they USED >to!) Bad drivers, bad
> > > devices, bad software?
> >
> > THAT is a very different issue. So, some questions:
> >
> > 1) what are the two devices (be as specific as you can)
> > 2) do they have anything in common? Do they share a usb > > hub, or
a splitter?

> Yep, they sure do have something in common: they're (1) my > digital
camera, and (2) the card reader for my camera's
> memory card.

What brands?

> I'm not sure what a USB hub is.

A usb hub is a way of getting more usb ports. Same consept as an
ethernet hub.

> Anywhere I
> plug them on either my onboard USB 1.1 ports (two of 'em) > or any
of the ports of the added USB 2.0 card
> (four of 'em) they don't work. Yet my cell phone data
> cable and my MP3 player both work plugged into the same
> USB 2.0 ports.

So your usb ports are fine.

> > 3) Have you tried different cables? USB2 devices do need > > usb2
cables to take advantage of the higher bitrates. It > > could be that
some also require a usb2 cable to function
> > at all.
>
> No, I haven't, especially since both of them worked two weeks ago!
(And the camera's port is USB 1.1!)

So, not the cabling.

> > 4) What about the power source? Do the devices power up at all? No
> > loose connections? Do you have a good surge protector capable of
> > powering all of the devices connected to your computer? Are all the
> > plugs on the protector operating?
>
> The cardreader lights up. The camera turns on (separate power
source,
> of course) but just doesn't communicate with the computer at all. I
> tried jiggling the connections, and reseating 'em -- no luck. No, I
> don't have a surge protector...

Get one. Do. It won't fix this problem, but it will protect you from a
worse one. I hate to say this, but an electical surge might have
damaged your camera. (Note, quite a lot of current can travel by a usb
cable. ) And computer electronic devices are more sensitive than your
refrigerator, or airconditioner. And how was the weather in your area
two weeks ago?

Could it be that the memory card is damaged instead of the devices
using it? Also, have you tried either of these devices in another
computer? Does the camera work when not connected to your computer?
More than just turning on. Can you snap a picture with it? What happens
if you try to put a media in the cardreader? Does your camera have ITS
media inserted?

> I have a feeling that it's some weird software thing, considering
that
> there's that little yellow exclamation point on the 'USB Device' in
> Device Manager and whenever I try to reinstall it keeps telling me:
"The
> installation failed because a function driver was not specified for
this
> device instance."
>
> Fun 'n' games with computers...

Many people just know only because of rumors. For example
the classic myth that the refrigerator could have damaged the
camera. Let him first describe a complete circuit. To have
damage, first a complete electrical circuit must exist just
like taught in 2nd grade science class.

Just recently went through a similar USB camera failure.
Camera worked. USB hub worked. But camera would not talk to
USB hub (hub is the thing that provides multiple USB ports
from some computer connection).

Your building have static electricity? Static electric down
your hand, through camera, through USB chip inside that
camera, down USB cable, through computer, and into carpet. A
complete electric circuit and one that has been observed to
take out the USB interface chip inside camera.

Static electricity (to avoid failures that so many others
then blame on bad software, surges, or operator error) means
the building must maintain sufficient humidity. Humidity is a
most important protection for electronics. Then supplement
that protection with anti-static material. For example, an
anti-static mat where people stand to make (plug-in) a USB
connection can be helpful. Mat still is not as important as
proper humidity. But it will help.

Another promoted classic myth only because his entire
technical knowledge is based on reading "surge protector =
surge protection". It is called a protector. Therefore it
must be protection? Yes, all buildings require a protector.
But an effective protector connects to protection. His
recommendation does not - is completely bogus - and based more
upon his feeling than fact. A plug-in protector can even
contribute to damage of the adjacent computer.

The protector that makes a necessary connection to
protection is called a 'whole house' protector. Installed for
the destructive transient that occurs on average about once
every eight years. Quite effective and tens of times less
money per protected appliance.

A 'whole house' protector is for the 50+ electronic devices
within the building. Neither it nor the pathetic plug-in
protector will eliminate static electricity.

"Rick C." wrote:
> Yep, they sure do have something in common: they're (1) my digital
> camera, and (2) the card reader for my camera's memory card. I'm not
> sure what a USB hub is. Anywhere I plug them on either my onboard USB
> 1.1 ports (two of 'em) or any of the ports of the added USB 2.0 card
> (four of 'em) they don't work. Yet my cell phone data cable and my MP3
> player both work plugged into the same USB 2.0 ports.
>
> No, I haven't, especially since both of them worked two weeks ago! (And
> the camera's port is USB 1.1!)
>
> The cardreader lights up. The camera turns on (separate power source,
> of course) but just doesn't communicate with the computer at all. I
> tried jiggling the connections, and reseating 'em -- no luck. No, I
> don't have a surge protector...
>
> I have a feeling that it's some weird software thing, considering that
> there's that little yellow exclamation point on the 'USB Device' in
> Device Manager and whenever I try to reinstall it keeps telling me: "The
> installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this
> device instance."
>
> Fun 'n' games with computers...

Er.. I did NOT suggest that the refrigerator took out the camera. Only
that it is LESS vunerable to overload than the camera.

I confess that I have never heard of a whole house protector.

But I am NOT as ignorant as you seem to think. Do not EVER think you
know more than any other, especially one you haven't met. It's the
greatest form of stupidity. Not to mention it's rather crass.
Crassness is also stupid.

Consider, also that a good surge protector is, above all CHEAP.
Also note that a good protector is INSURED against equipment damage (if
you send in the warrenty card) Don't get one that isn't insured.

Plus the handy fact that it will keep all of your equipment on the same
circuit. Which is not a guarentee for the standard two plug outlet.

I'm a little leery of diagnosing static for a device like a camera.
It's possible, BUT.. it's a CAMERA, it didn't come in a static bag,
ordinary handling shouldn't zap it. It's SUPPOSED to be handled.
Frequently. Even out in the middle of nowhere. If, by chance ordinary
handling did zap it, you should return it to the manufactor for repair
or replacement.

Same goes for the cardreader. Though less strong.

I could see static if the failure was a stick of ram, or a pci card.

As a practical matter, it's a bit tricky to determine whether
something's been fried by a power surge or zapped by static. Takes more
time than the average repairman has... he'll spit out a diagnosis
according to his particular prejudices.

Unless you're gonna make a living assembling electronics at home, the
static mat, the wrist straps, humidifier, etc are overkill.

Good static protection can be had much more cheaply. Free, in fact. In
the form of behavior modification.

The basic idea is to always have the same charge as the object you're
handling.

First touch the surface the object is grounded to (or, at least seated
on). Then pick up the object with your other hand. THEN you can remove
the other have from the surface. Some electronics equipment is more
vunerable than others. RAM is VERY vunerable. What we don't know is how
sensitive your camera and cardreader are.

I'm curious to see what info you have on surge protectors contributing
to equipment failure.
Speaking only from personal expierience, more that once my computer has
been saved by the fact that it was plugged in to a protector.
(Lignthing once, nasty power failure the other. Two dead surge
protecors that bravely sacrificed themselves to save my computer :) )