task scheduler problem

Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all updates
Scheduled tasks will not run.

General page initailization failed. The specific error is: 0x80041315:
The task scheduler service is not running.

services.msc reveals that task scheduler is not running. The "start" and
"stop" buttons are inactive [ greyed out ]. "disabled" is displayed in the
scroll box. When I click on "automatic", the following is displayed: "could
not start the task scheduler service. Error 2148073494: keyset does not
exist.

I followed the steps described at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246183 .
This KB instructs me to delete
H_Key\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Crpytography\Providers\Type 001

The only dependency for task scheduler is RPC , Remote Procedure Call [ not
locator ]. RPC is running.

If that fails, I am to empty the contents of C:\documents and settings\All
users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 .

S-1-5-18 is empty.

Yes, "show all files" is selected. I even unchecked "hide protected
operating system files".

I have scanned for viruses and found none.

In the regitry, H_Key\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Crpytography does not
exist.

Your thoughtful suggestions will be appreciated.

WC
3 answers Last reply
More about task scheduler problem

    Make sure the Task Scheduler service is set to logon with the Local System
    Account and Allow Service to Interact with Desktop

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Wiley C" wrote:
    | Windows 2000 Pro SP4 with all updates
    | Scheduled tasks will not run.
    |
    | General page initailization failed. The specific error is: 0x80041315:
    | The task scheduler service is not running.
    |
    | services.msc reveals that task scheduler is not running. The "start" and
    | "stop" buttons are inactive [ greyed out ]. "disabled" is displayed in
    the
    | scroll box. When I click on "automatic", the following is displayed:
    "could
    | not start the task scheduler service. Error 2148073494: keyset does not
    | exist.
    |

    | I followed the steps described at:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246183 .
    | This KB instructs me to delete
    | H_Key\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Crpytography\Providers\Type 001
    |
    | The only dependency for task scheduler is RPC , Remote Procedure Call [
    not
    | locator ]. RPC is running.
    |
    | If that fails, I am to empty the contents of C:\documents and settings\All
    | users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 .
    |
    | S-1-5-18 is empty.
    |
    | Yes, "show all files" is selected. I even unchecked "hide protected
    | operating system files".
    |
    | I have scanned for viruses and found none.
    |
    | In the regitry, H_Key\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Crpytography does not
    | exist.
    |
    | Your thoughtful suggestions will be appreciated.
    |
    | WC

    Dave:
    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, it is selected, as you have inquired.

    Below, please find a lengthy task scheduler log.

    WC

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Make sure the Task Scheduler service is set to logon with the Local System
    > Account and Allow Service to Interact with Desktop
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:55:51 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:55:51 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:56:12 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:56:12 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:56:12 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 1:06:14 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 1:06:15 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 1:06:37 PM
    [ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:21:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:26:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:31:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:36:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:41:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:46:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:51:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 4:56:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:01:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:06:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:11:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:16:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:21:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:26:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:31:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:36:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:41:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:46:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:51:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 5:56:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 6:01:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 6:06:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 6:11:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/3/2005 6:16:00 PM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/3/2005 6:19:20 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 10:33:09 AM
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 10:38:39 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 10:43:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 10:48:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 10:53:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 10:58:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:03:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:08:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:13:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:18:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:23:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:28:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:33:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:38:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:43:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:48:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:54:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 3/4/2005 11:59:00 AM ** ERROR **
    The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
    therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
    information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8009000f: Object already exists.
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:01:05 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:03:26 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6704"Task Scheduler Service"
    Task Scheduler was unable to open a connection to the Task Scheduler
    security database
    As a result, the account information for each task in the Tasks folder has
    been invalidated and will need to be respecified"Task Scheduler Service"
    3/4/2005 12:03:27 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:03:48 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:11:33 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6704"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:11:34 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:11:45 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:44:12 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:44:14 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:44:32 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:53:44 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:53:45 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:54:00 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM ** Error **
    A failure occurred during service initialization.
    The specific error is:
    0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Exited at 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    Started at 3/4/2005 12:55:51 PM
    "Task Scheduler Service"
    4.71.2195.6920

    microsoft management console
    could not start thetask scheduler service on Local Computer

    error 2148073494:
    keyset does not exist

    "Yes, it is selected, as you have inquired."

    I don't know what this specifically means.

    You can also try restoring default permissions. This article may help.

    How to Restore the Default NTFS Permissions for Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

    --

    "Wiley C" wrote:
> [...]
    | A failure occurred during service initialization.
    | The specific error is:
    | 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | Exited at 3/4/2005 12:54:00 PM
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | Started at 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | 4.71.2195.6920"Task Scheduler Service" 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM ** Error **
    | A failure occurred during service initialization.
    | The specific error is:
    | 0x80090016: Keyset does not exist
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | Exited at 3/4/2005 12:55:35 PM
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | Started at 3/4/2005 12:55:51 PM
    | "Task Scheduler Service"
    | 4.71.2195.6920
    |

    | microsoft management console
    | could not start thetask scheduler service on Local Computer

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows