Tags:
  • MSI-Microstar
  • Platinum
  • BIOS
  • Devices
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
December 17, 2006 9:35:15 PM

I'm trying to add a DVD drive on the secondary IDE port of my comp.
The problem is that, for some reason, the BIOS doesn't detect any device I plug into that port.
The Primary port works perfectly and all devices are automatically found correctly.
Is there perhaps some mysterious BIOS setting I'm missing here, or is there a fault with either the port or the BIOS itself? I'm using the latest BIOS version (V.7.20)

Please help!

More about : secondary ide port problem 975x platinum powerup edition

December 19, 2006 12:28:33 AM

Quote:
The problem is that, for some reason, the BIOS doesn't detect any device I plug into that port.
The Primary port works perfectly and all devices are automatically found correctly.
Is there perhaps some mysterious BIOS setting I'm missing here, or is there a fault with either the port or the BIOS itself? I'm using the latest BIOS version (V.7.20)

Please help!

my 2nd on is just slow.
December 25, 2006 2:10:37 AM

Quote:

Please help!

I have the exact same problem when i put together my new pc today. The Primary Port works just fine like you said, but the bios just can't find whatever is connected to Port2.

And i played around with the devices and the two IDE ports around and made sure my devices are all fine. It's Port 2 that is not working.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

many thanks
Related resources
December 25, 2006 3:46:38 PM

Hi,

What I figured out (after I posted the topic) is this.
Devices you put on your secondary port never show under the BIOS, nor will it be found if you try to auto search. Instead it only gives a secondary notification of your device(s), right after the standard BIOS listing (in a green or blue color). The reason for this, apparently, is that this secondary port is fully controlled by a seperate controller (JMB361).

Additionally, if you want the devices, on the secondary port, to run in DMA mode (instead of PIO) you'll have to install the JMB363 RAID drivers, and make sure the onboard JMB361 Mode (in the BIOS) is set to IDE. Don't ask why it needs RAID drivers when you don't even make use of that particular feature, though. Doesn't make much sense to me either. Infact, I think they should have atleast made a big note about that in the manual.

Hope this helped a bit.
December 29, 2006 12:38:21 AM

hey Seekr

thx for the the reply. i figured that out too. sad thing is i couldn't stall the Jmacron driver because myfloppy drive didn't work on this board :evil: 

I just gave up on fixing it and went out to buy a HDD enclosure.
Problem solved!!!
March 5, 2007 2:06:38 AM

hi
i don´t know much but the manual says that the secundary IDE can only connect a master drive :!:
a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2007 5:45:48 AM

Just for clarification:

The 975X chipset only support 2 IDE devices along with support for 4 SATA devices. Two other IDE devices are supported by the JMicron controller chip.

Since the JMircron controller chip is seperate and distinct from the Intel 975X chipset, any drives connected to it will not appear in the BIOS. Drives connected to the JMicron chip will be displayed on the screen after the BIOS has been load and before Windows boot up.

Windows XP does not fully support the JMicron chip even when SP2 is installed. The drives will operate but performance could be slow, especially if DVD drives are connected. To solve this issue simply install the JMicron driver that is located on the Motherboard Utility CD that comes with the 975X Platinum.
!