Ctrl-Alt_Delete.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 4:45:01 AM

Can Anyone Help!!!

For some strange reason my laptop no longer accepts my username and password.
I was trying to setup a network at home between my PC and laptop.
Not really sure waht I did, but now whenever I try to log on my laptop
through ctrl-alt-delete, I get the logon message, system could not log you on.
Is there any way to bypass this and start up my laptop.

More about : ctrl alt delete

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 11:55:53 PM

"Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can Anyone Help!!!
>
> For some strange reason my laptop no longer accepts my username and
password.
> I was trying to setup a network at home between my PC and laptop.
> Not really sure waht I did, but now whenever I try to log on my laptop
> through ctrl-alt-delete, I get the logon message, system could not log you
on.
> Is there any way to bypass this and start up my laptop.

Log on under the "administrator" account, then reset the password
of your own account.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 11:55:54 PM

Sorry
How do i do that?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can Anyone Help!!!
> >
> > For some strange reason my laptop no longer accepts my username and
> password.
> > I was trying to setup a network at home between my PC and laptop.
> > Not really sure waht I did, but now whenever I try to log on my laptop
> > through ctrl-alt-delete, I get the logon message, system could not log you
> on.
> > Is there any way to bypass this and start up my laptop.
>
> Log on under the "administrator" account, then reset the password
> of your own account.

a b D Laptop
March 17, 2005 11:55:54 PM

Sorry
How do i do that?

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can Anyone Help!!!
> >
> > For some strange reason my laptop no longer accepts my username and
> password.
> > I was trying to setup a network at home between my PC and laptop.
> > Not really sure waht I did, but now whenever I try to log on my laptop
> > through ctrl-alt-delete, I get the logon message, system could not log you
> on.
> > Is there any way to bypass this and start up my laptop.
>
> Log on under the "administrator" account, then reset the password
> of your own account.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 1:07:07 AM

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
2. Enter Administrator as an account name
3. Enter the password that you specified when you
(or your supplier) first installed Windows 2000.

> Sorry
> How do i do that?
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can Anyone Help!!!
> > >
> > > For some strange reason my laptop no longer accepts my username and
> > password.
> > > I was trying to setup a network at home between my PC and laptop.
> > > Not really sure waht I did, but now whenever I try to log on my laptop
> > > through ctrl-alt-delete, I get the logon message, system could not log
you
> > on.
> > > Is there any way to bypass this and start up my laptop.
> >
> > Log on under the "administrator" account, then reset the password
> > of your own account.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 1:07:08 AM

Tried that and still no good.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> 1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
> 2. Enter Administrator as an account name
> 3. Enter the password that you specified when you
> (or your supplier) first installed Windows 2000.
>

> "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry
> > How do i do that?
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > password.
> you
> > > on.
> > >
> > > Log on under the "administrator" account, then reset the password
> > > of your own account.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 2:43:33 AM

You need to be a little more specific. "still no good"
can mean anything and everything. To me it means
nothing.

> Tried that and still no good.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > 1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
> > 2. Enter Administrator as an account name
> > 3. Enter the password that you specified when you
> > (or your supplier) first installed Windows 2000.
> >

> > "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Sorry
> > > How do i do that?

> > you

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 2:43:34 AM

It means that I still get the same error message.
incorrect username and password.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> You need to be a little more specific. "still no good"
> can mean anything and everything. To me it means
> nothing.
>

> "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tried that and still no good.
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del
> > > 2. Enter Administrator as an account name
> > > 3. Enter the password that you specified when you
> > > (or your supplier) first installed Windows 2000.
> > >

> > > "Baggio10" <Baggio10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> and
> laptop
> log
> > > you

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 18, 2005 10:38:58 AM

It seems that you are unaware of the basic security traits
of Windows NT/2000/XP. This class of operating systems
is "secure", meaning that only people with proper credentials
can log on. In other words, everyone must have an account
name and a password. What you see is not an "error
message", as you call it. It is a message to inform you that
the account name and password you entered are incorrect.
They do not agree with any of the account names/passwords
that are currently stored in the system.

It is possible to arrange things under Win2000 so that the
system logs you on automatically. This does NOT mean
that there is no account name or password; it simply means
that the system supplies these details automatically at
logon time. It now appears that this automatic mechanism
got disturbed on your PC. It also appears that you never
took care to write down the details of the administrator's
account, and to keep them in a safe place. It's like buying
a new car and not keeping one or two sets of spare keys.

I recommend strongly that you change your ways in
order to protect yourself against similar mishaps. After
resetting the administrator's account, make a note of
its password. Create a second administrative account,
with a password, and lock these details away in a place
where you can easily find them.

To reset the administrator's password, boot the machine
with a disk from the link below. It's scary stuff but it
works.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

!