2 dos apps slow until NTVDM priority lowered - can i set p..

Scott

Hi,

I have two DOS legacy apps running on the same machine. DOS apps apparently
invoke NTVDM. When loading "task manager", "processes" and right clicking
"NTVDM" i can lower the priority of the process and the DOS legacy apps
speed up.

Is there a way i can set the priority on the process without having to do it
manually via task manager ?

Thanks for any info.
Scott

scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two DOS legacy apps running on the same machine. DOS apps apparently
> invoke NTVDM. When loading "task manager", "processes" and right clicking
> "NTVDM" i can lower the priority of the process and the DOS legacy apps
> speed up.
>
> Is there a way i can set the priority on the process without having to do it
> manually via task manager ?

You should check out the "start" command.

I used it in a lot of my shortcuts so that apps start with the
priority I want them to have.

For example, if your app has the name "MyApp.exe" and is in the
folder "C:\Program Files\MyAppPath", then the shortcut would the
target (All on one line)
[path]\CMD.EXE /c "start /belownormal /d"C:\Program
Files\MyAppPath" MyApp.exe"

scott fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> Hi,
>
> I have two DOS legacy apps running on the same machine. DOS apps
> apparently invoke NTVDM. When loading "task manager", "processes" and
> right clicking "NTVDM" i can lower the priority of the process and
> the DOS legacy apps speed up.
>
> Is there a way i can set the priority on the process without having
> to do it manually via task manager ?
>
> Thanks for any info.
> Scott

Start
Run
type
CMD
click OK
CMD Prompt opens
type

start /?

press enter

note the /LOW / NORMAL /HIGH switches

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Scott

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c "start /belownormal /d" r:\r\ "run.bat"

sorry to bother again, i appear to have a problem getting the syntax
correct.

cmd prompt launched ok but does execute run.bat ?

"the current dir is invalid" im told but the path is r:\r\run.bat . batch
file works fine when selecting direct.

cheers
scott

scott wrote:
> c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c start /belownormal /d "r:\r" run.bat
>
> works

Glad you figured it out.

Rob