PlanMaker ERASED my excel charts!

March 18, 2005 11:21:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I copied some excel files over from my Mac Office98 to my HPC to the CF
card and all the data and colors transfered, but in each file the inline
graphics were all black! I deleted the spreadsheets from my HPC, and
will leave them on my Mac. Darn!

Any workarounds?

John
--
1Cor. 1:18 ΒΆ For the message of the cross is foolishness to
those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it

"John" <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I copied some excel files over from my Mac Office98 to my HPC to the
CF
| card and all the data and colors transfered, but in each file the
inline
| graphics were all black! I deleted the spreadsheets from my HPC, and
| will leave them on my Mac. Darn!
|

| Any workarounds?
|

| John
| --

Did you try anything to resolve your issue or jump straight to the
'delete it' approach? knowing what/how you have tried could help. Some
of the following may seem obvious and you may well have tried them, but
without any indication of what you have tried it is harder to be more
directed with help offered - the cause may be missed, or may mean you
get general help that you have already tried.

For example:
I'm not sure about mac computability but for windows copying without
conversion works. Have you tried copying without conversion with that
file?
Have you tried a dummy file with basic data and chart to see if it is
your particular file only, or if it is a general problem? This may
indicate if you have incompatible data or some corrupt data.

You do get support from Softmaker- have you used this and have they say
whether you can or can't do this with the mac version? Have you tried
the forum they have?

I had a negative experience with the program, but they did offer a
solution* via the forum and a response was quick. Even replies to my
dissatisfaction with their generic approach shown by the solution
offered were fast even though the approach they offered was
intransigent with no alternatives from them- but I guess it would have
worked at the cost of an unreasonable amount of time and effort on my
part.

Looking through other queries showed a fairly consistent attempt to
help in a reasonably timely manner, the forum does give the impression
of them trying to help users.

(*although it was an unreasonable solution for me it would have worked,
but I persevered until I found a quicker and less radical approach).
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:32:07 AM

John wrote:
> I copied some excel files over from my Mac Office98 to my HPC to the CF
> card and all the data and colors transfered, but in each file the inline
> graphics were all black! I deleted the spreadsheets from my HPC, and
> will leave them on my Mac. Darn!
>

> Any workarounds?
>

> John

We have never seen something like this before. ActiveSync conversions
were turned off, were they?

Send us the original Excel file, with the graphics intact, and
instructions how to reproduce this. We want to investigate this.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
March 19, 2005 11:32:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Martin Kotulla" <mk999@gmx.de> wrote in message
news:D 1gkfo$kgg$04$1@news.t-online.com...
SNIP

> We have never seen something like this before. ActiveSync conversions
> were turned off, were they?
>
> Send us the original Excel file, with the graphics intact, and
> instructions how to reproduce this. We want to investigate this.
>
> Martin Kotulla
> SoftMaker Software GmbH

All I can say is that I have been using PM for about a year now, I have
exchanged files back and forth that contained all sorts of charts of various
sizes, types and colours, and never once experienced what John Wolf is
describing. Could be that the culprit is the MAC OS, or an old version of
ActiveSync ....
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:13:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Is there a possibility that at some point you opened the files with
pocket excel?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:21:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 1gpeg$77f$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

SNIP>
> You do get support from Softmaker- have you used this and have they say
> whether you can or can't do this with the mac version? Have you tried
> the forum they have?

SNIP
> Looking through other queries showed a fairly consistent attempt to
> help in a reasonably timely manner, the forum does give the impression
> of them trying to help users.
SNIP

I couldn't agree with you more, Alan. My experience with the SoftMaker
support groups has always been beyond reproach, and have benefited from the
SoftMaker forums time and time again. PlanMaker and TextMaker are amongst
the cream of the crop when it comes to HPC applications, one of the few
developers left who continues to support the platform.
March 19, 2005 2:17:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:21:21 -0800, John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Any workarounds?

No... That's what you get for using a Mac. Mac's are evil!!!

A_C
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:36:04 PM

Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> No... That's what you get for using a Mac. Mac's are evil!!!

Well, if not having to worry about viruses and spyware is evil, so be
it.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida

Uncle Ben <reel_jemm_spamnot@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Could be that the culprit is the MAC OS...

Not likely, because PlanMaker is supposed to have lossless conversion of
Excel for Macintosh files, and one can move Excel files back and forth
between Macs and PCs (everything from Excel 5.0 through 2003 for Windows
and Excel 98 through 2004 for Mac) without problems.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:23:39 PM

"Mike Rosenberg" <mike@POSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote in message
| Agent_C <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
|
| > No... That's what you get for using a Mac. Mac's are evil!!!
|
| Well, if not having to worry about viruses and spyware is evil, so be
| it.
|
| --
| Mike Rosenberg

Yes, it seems mac users are so defensive they just feed the trolls
instead of ignoring them, or helping with the real question.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:23:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

alan smith <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, it seems mac users are so defensive they just feed the trolls
> instead of ignoring them, or helping with the real question.

In all seriousness, I read microsoft.public.handheldpc because some time
ago Chris Tilley asked me to help out with the rare Mac-related question
that comes up. I'd help John if I knew a solution, but the very first
response he got was from Martin Kotulla of SoftMaker Software, so it
sounds like he's in expert hands.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:32:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hey Martin,

Thanks.. No I copied the files onto my CF card from my Macintosh
computer using the USB drive.

I will send the files when I return back from my vacation.

John
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hey Ben,

This is what I did.

1) Copied about 18 excel 98 files from my Apple Macintosh performa
6360 (G3 300) to a CF card which has Office98 and is running OS 9.1.
About 5 of these excel files had graphics and charts.

2) Once then files were on my CF disk I then inserted the disk into my
HPC.

3) Launched PlanMaker and in every file all the graphics were black.

Thanks,

John
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

No I did not. The files open with PalnMaker when I clicked them.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:38:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I suppose Office98 or Mac OS 9.1 is the culprit. I doubt I would have
had this problem if I had copied the files from Windows. In fact I
might test it to see!

John
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:59:38 PM

| Uncle Ben <reel_jemm_spamnot@yahoo.ca> wrote:
|
| > Could be that the culprit is the MAC OS...
|
| Not likely, because PlanMaker is supposed to have lossless conversion
of
| Excel for Macintosh files, and one can move Excel files back and
forth
| between Macs and PCs (everything from Excel 5.0 through 2003 for
Windows
| and Excel 98 through 2004 for Mac) without problems.
|
| --
| Mike Rosenberg

It doesn't support everything on the ppc that excel supports on a
desktop. That may cause
issues for spreadsheets that use those elements after editing on a ppc.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:59:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.handheldpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

alan smith <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> It doesn't support everything on the ppc that excel supports on a desktop.
> That may cause issues for spreadsheets that use those elements after
> editing on a ppc.

True, but if I understand John's original post correctly, all he did was
transfer the files over and look at them. Then again, the subject says
his charts were erased whereas his description just says the graphics
were all black, which is quite a different thing, so it's not at all
clear exactly what he did and what happened.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.macconsult.com&gt; Macintosh consulting services for NE Florida
<http://bogart-tribute.net&gt; Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:39:53 AM