MS Home & Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I purchased a 3x installation disk of MS Home & Student. I previously installed it on my computer and once on my sisters laptop. Installation 1 was erased when I installed an SSD to my computer and my sisters laptop is install 2. Does this mean I can only install it once more on my computer even if I have the same motherboard? I understand a Windows 7 OS installation can be reinstalled multiple times to the same motherboard does this hold true for MSHS too?

Thanks so much

Solution
It is tied to the machine ID which is composed from the hardware inside your machine. A reinstall will not change that ID. If for example a virus were to infect your system, a total wipe + reinstall would not affect your installation and registration.

If you would change the motherboard+cpu for example your unique machine ID would change which could cause problems.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Yes I realize I have one installation left. So if I need to reinstall the OS again I can't reinstall MSHS a 4th time? Its the same mobo.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
It is tied to the machine ID which is composed from the hardware inside your machine. A reinstall will not change that ID. If for example a virus were to infect your system, a total wipe + reinstall would not affect your installation and registration.

If you would change the motherboard+cpu for example your unique machine ID would change which could cause problems.

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks Super, thats what I was hoping for. This is my 1st build so I may want to reinstall a few times. Another person mentioned that MS is very accomodating and can adjust the installs for a particular product key with a phone call.
Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.