Looking to your expertise - VGA card recommendation

onebluemcm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm thinking about upgrading and getting more into gaming than I have been. I don't want to end up with a graphics card that is more than my system can handle.

I currently have:
AMD FX-55 CPU on an
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Mobo with
2GB memory DDR PC-3200 and a
Western Digital Raptor 74GB HD and an
Antec NeoHE 550w Power supply in an
Antec p180 case

This mobo also has a Silicon Image 3114 RAID controller on which I have a small RAID-5 setup - I run all my programs and Windows XP off the Raptor though, the RAID-5 is just for storage.

Main thing is, I'm just not sure what graphics cards out there aren't even worth considering because of limitations inherent in my current setup. I don't plan on any major upgrades in the near future - the way it is now I'm happy with it.

I've been considering the 8800 GTS but also things like an X1950 XT, 7950 GT as examples - if my system will be a substantial limiting factor for a card like the 8800 GTS, I guess it doesn't make much sense to go there......

For stuff like this, I just don't know enough on my own yet, but I'm learning - I feel priveleged to be able to rely on everybody's expertise here at TG Forumz.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks in advance.

tbiggums

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
I think you shouldn't worry about your cpu bottlenecking anything right now. Look at the cpu charts and check out some gaming benchmarks.

Also next gen games will rely more and more on the gpu, so the cpu will matter less and less.

onebluemcm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
what about monitors? I have a dual screen setup right now but it's kind of crazy - one is a Dell 20.1" - 2001FP I think - it's not the newest one. The other monitor is an older (5-6 years old) Sony CRT - Multiscan 420GS - 18" I think - I though it would do better than 1600 x 1200 resolution but I can't seem to find that out right now....

Is a 8800GTS overkill for the monitors that I currently have? I would like to get rid of the old CRT in a way - a flat panel takes up so much less room......

How does that play into what you might suggest?

Thanks again