Why no boot at all when use raid on extra HDD's non-os???

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Okay, here's the problem: I can't add a raid 0 array (or, I assume, any raid array) without my computer being unable to boot into windows.

now, this raid array is not/will not be my boot device, which is already a wd raptor holding windows xp pro sp2 and various programs. The mobo is an Abit aw9d-max, which is intel 975x based (ICH7R chipset). I've been using this setup without much of a hitch since my initial build about a week (or two?) ago. It has been booting fine, into windows.

So, I wanted to add a raid array of 2 samsung spinpoint P drives for various video/photo editing. It would be for data, not OS or programs. I go into my BIOS, select on board devices, deselect auto and select raid. Then go into intel's set up menu ssystem, select the hdd's I want for raid, name em and stripe em. save.

But then, the computer won't boot up. It freezes upon loading windows (I see the windows splash screen for like 1/2 a second, then it goes into failsafe selection screen, which no matter which option I choose (windows safe/last known good/normal), it reboots. and on and on until I deslect raid and put BIOS back to auto mode. To poke around the Intel chipset also freezes up the computer if I put it into AHCI mode instead of raid. THe only thing that works is tellign the Intel chipse to run IDE.

Now, I'm wondering if I have a problem with drivers not ebign installed, but this shouldn't affect my ability to boot into windows with my non-raid raptor drive. Once inside windows, I should be able to load the drivers and reboot, or etc.

Yes, I did makle sure the raptor was selected as top of the boot list priority. Yes, I also tried loading the drivers, from the cd that came with the mobo and intel's website download also, but they both say my computer (newly built conroe based) doesn't meet the minimum system requirements! and thus no load drivers.

so what gives? any ideas? any help?

thanks,

Curt J.

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Okay, about the last post I made is now confirmed as accurate by Abit Tech Support and Intel knowledge base:

Dear Customer,

Is all 3 hard drive connect to SATA 1~4 ports? These ports are controlled by the Intel chipset.

When using RAID or AHCI configuration, proper driver is required during windows installation process. Switching the SATA mode after installed the windows will cause the system not function properly.
http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/cs-015988.htm

Please use the supplied driver disk to load the RAID or AHCI driver during windows installation by pressing F6. This is required by Microsoft's standard windows installation process. Therefore, the floppy driver disks are included in the retail packaging.

The installation disk files are also available on our website for download http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=326 .

Since there's 3 hard drive in this hardware configuration. The system will still work with 1 hard drive operate as single RAID disk and 2 other hard drive in desired RAID array.

If you have any questions, please let us know
Thank you

Best Regards,

Abit FAE Team​

So, when the intel chipset initializes raid it makes all its ports switch from the IDE driver to another, thus requiring new drivers be installed.

This makes sense in a weird way, that the chip was designed poorly where all 4 ports are either all "on" or all "off" and the workaround is obviously to reinstall os with using F6 method to install drivers when os loads. I just wish this was made clear (or even unclear, but mentioned somehow!) from the start. THe manual even says only need floppy if making raid as os boot disk (see page 4-9 of my manual). As it is, the common wisdom on any intel ICH7R board (and others too) was to only install the drivers by F6 if yer gonna make yer boot disk as part of raid array. Nope, now gotta do it for all.

And this kinda means that if you don't install the drivers, all you're getting, and will ever get, is ide-type performance (see intel's website knowledge base). This might be a biggie for some and is not limited to Abit boards, but to any using the intel chipset, see Intel's knowledge base article.

So, this board officially would seem to require a floppy drive for install. No biggie, I mean if you can afford this mobo you can afford a floppy drive, I was just kinda hoping to have left the 80's in, well, the 80's.

curt j.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
And this kinda means that if you don't install the drivers, all you're getting, and will ever get, is ide-type performance
considering that it's the mechanics that are the limiting factor & those are the same on SATA/PATA versions of HDDs you won't notice any difference in real world apps.

So, this board officially would seem to require a floppy drive for install. No biggie, I mean if you can afford this mobo you can afford a floppy drive, I was just kinda hoping to have left the 80's in, well, the 80's.
or slipstream the drivers into an install CD or run Vista.

grass

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2004
Wow, had the exact same problem. I started installing os and it asked for drivers (F6). I gave it two disk supplied by Abit (had USB floppy handy).
Somehow Intel's drivers were not copied properly. So Windows installed but when I tried to boot - bum at mup.sys.

I had to move my raid to silicon (connectors 5,6).