Can't use web mail with certain WinXP PCs

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

There's a certain windows XP machine that when I try to access my
webmail (ms exchange from my work place), when I try to make or reply
to a message, the body area is filled with what looks like a broken
image, and I can't type in it no matter what I try. I have access to
other PCs that should have the exact same set up, and they work just
fine with my mail. What could be different about this PC, what should I
look for to fix this? I don't understand this at all, and I can't find
anything about it on the MS website.

Hi,

Sounds like you need to reinstall the scripting engine:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
and get version 5.6 and install it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> There's a certain windows XP machine that when I try to access my
> webmail (ms exchange from my work place), when I try to make or reply
> to a message, the body area is filled with what looks like a broken
> image, and I can't type in it no matter what I try. I have access to
> other PCs that should have the exact same set up, and they work just
> fine with my mail. What could be different about this PC, what should I
> look for to fix this? I don't understand this at all, and I can't find
> anything about it on the MS website.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

It says that it's only for Win 98, ME, and NT, but I'm using XP.

Also, why does this not come installed with XP if it's needed? Why do
my other XP machines work fine with webmail already? Windows XP Pro is
Windows XP pro, isn't it?

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sounds like you need to reinstall the scripting engine:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
> and get version 5.6 and install it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> > There's a certain windows XP machine that when I try to access my
> > webmail (ms exchange from my work place), when I try to make or
reply
> > to a message, the body area is filled with what looks like a broken
> > image, and I can't type in it no matter what I try. I have access
> > other PCs that should have the exact same set up, and they work
just
> > fine with my mail. What could be different about this PC, what
should I
> > look for to fix this? I don't understand this at all, and I can't
find
> > anything about it on the MS website.

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

It might have been damaged.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> It says that it's only for Win 98, ME, and NT, but I'm using XP.
>
> Also, why does this not come installed with XP if it's needed? Why do
> my other XP machines work fine with webmail already? Windows XP Pro is
> Windows XP pro, isn't it?
>
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sounds like you need to reinstall the scripting engine:
>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
>> and get version 5.6 and install it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>>> There's a certain windows XP machine that when I try to access my
>>> webmail (ms exchange from my work place), when I try to make or
>>> reply to a message, the body area is filled with what looks like a
>>> broken image, and I can't type in it no matter what I try. I have
>>> access to other PCs that should have the exact same set up, and
>>> they work just fine with my mail. What could be different about
>>> this PC, what should I look for to fix this? I don't understand
>>> this at all, and I can't find anything about it on the MS website.

Hi,

As Frank has stated, it may be damaged in the current installation.
Downloading 5.6 and reinstalling it should resolve the issue.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

<gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> It says that it's only for Win 98, ME, and NT, but I'm using XP.
>
> Also, why does this not come installed with XP if it's needed? Why do
> my other XP machines work fine with webmail already? Windows XP Pro is
> Windows XP pro, isn't it?
>

> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sounds like you need to reinstall the scripting engine:
>>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0A8A18F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
>> and get version 5.6 and install it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>> > There's a certain windows XP machine that when I try to access my
>> > webmail (ms exchange from my work place), when I try to make or
> reply
>> > to a message, the body area is filled with what looks like a broken
>> > image, and I can't type in it no matter what I try. I have access
>> > other PCs that should have the exact same set up, and they work
> just
>> > fine with my mail. What could be different about this PC, what
> should I
>> > look for to fix this? I don't understand this at all, and I can't
> find
>> > anything about it on the MS website.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Well that didn't work. But I did find the problem...I was using IE
instead of other non-MS browsers. Go figure, MS can't get it's exchange
webmail to work right with IE, but other browsers work just fine. I'll
just learn to use products that work.