HELP!! Intel DP965LT LED flashing

I built a computer today (first Intel Core Duo).
Here are the components:
Coolmaster case - 380W PSU
Intel DP965LT MB
1 GB 533 DDR2
7600 GT KO
E6300

I had it all together and working for about 3 hours. Windows is now installed, got about 5 programs installed then it turned off. So I let it cool for 10 mins and turned it back on in case it overheated or something. Ever since I cannot get it to post and it is acting very weird. The green LED on the MB that come on and stays on when you just turn you psu on will only come on for 1 sec then turn off then on and off repeatedly. At the same time the proc heatsink fan and video card fan also turn on and off briefly. I switched the PSU to another 430 W I had lying around but only hooked up the CPU fan and MB power and it still happens so it isn't like the PSU is too weak and I know it works on another machine I have.

I tried to change the BIOS jumper setting to setup/recovery but like I said I don't even have to turn the computer on this is just turning the PSU on. I couldn't find any info on the Intel site about this as the only info is errors on POST. Has anyone had this problem or know why it could be happening? Like I said before, it was running fine for 3 hours so it isn't like it overheated.

Please help...
5 answers Last reply
More about help intel dp965lt flashing
  1. Strip it to barebones, and try to get it to provide 1 short beep, and startup, then safely take it from there, step by step.

If you can't get this far, it could be a faulty motherboard, or a grounding problem. You may have to re-install the mobo.

If still a problem, suspect the PSU :(
  2. Thanks for the PSU tip but as I said, I switched the PSU after the problem to a working 430W and it still acted up. I am going to strip it down and try it again. Who knows maybe the CPU came loose? Either way Tigerdirect will replace it with a new MB and if that has the same problem I am done with Intel and going back to the Asus boards I am used to.
  3. Quote:
    I built a computer today (first Intel Core Duo).
    Here are the components:
    Coolmaster case - 380W PSU
    Intel DP965LT MB
    1 GB 533 DDR2
    7600 GT KO
    E6300

I had it all together and working for about 3 hours. Windows is now installed, got about 5 programs installed then it turned off. So I let it cool for 10 mins and turned it back on in case it overheated or something. Ever since I cannot get it to post and it is acting very weird. The green LED on the MB that come on and stays on when you just turn you psu on will only come on for 1 sec then turn off then on and off repeatedly. At the same time the proc heatsink fan and video card fan also turn on and off briefly. I switched the PSU to another 430 W I had lying around but only hooked up the CPU fan and MB power and it still happens so it isn't like the PSU is too weak and I know it works on another machine I have.

I tried to change the BIOS jumper setting to setup/recovery but like I said I don't even have to turn the computer on this is just turning the PSU on. I couldn't find any info on the Intel site about this as the only info is errors on POST. Has anyone had this problem or know why it could be happening? Like I said before, it was running fine for 3 hours so it isn't like it overheated.

Please help...

Remove all MB plugs ie HD, etc and ram and replace (plug back in).

Then try rebooting.

If no success, remove CPU and reinstal.

Could be just bad connection.
  4. Thanks for all your help. I took the whole thing apart and re-installed it all again. It started up fine. That lasted for about 30 mins until it shut off again. I am sure it was from CPU temp because nothing else makes sense. So I took it apart again and added some thermal paste to the CPU and fan. All back together and same thing again. Basically I have decided one of two things:
    1- the MB temperature sensors are broken/wrong so the fan isn't spinning right or
    2 - the threshold of the shutdown for CPU temp is set too low.
    Either way, I really don't like the DP965LT mobo and I really wanted an asus P5B but they were out of stock. I am going to return this one to Tiger direct and get an asus from another dealer. Everything about the intel board seemed cheap and I just don't have any faith in it anymore.

BTW, has anyone else had temperature issues with their 6300 proc of DP965LT mobo?
  5. Quote:
    Thanks for all your help. I took the whole thing apart and re-installed it all again. It started up fine. That lasted for about 30 mins until it shut off again. I am sure it was from CPU temp because nothing else makes sense. So I took it apart again and added some thermal paste to the CPU and fan. All back together and same thing again. Basically I have decided one of two things:
    1- the MB temperature sensors are broken/wrong so the fan isn't spinning right or
    2 - the threshold of the shutdown for CPU temp is set too low.
    Either way, I really don't like the DP965LT mobo and I really wanted an asus P5B but they were out of stock. I am going to return this one to Tiger direct and get an asus from another dealer. Everything about the intel board seemed cheap and I just don't have any faith in it anymore.

BTW, has anyone else had temperature issues with their 6300 proc of DP965LT mobo?

Yes the ASUS boards are excellent especially the P5B versions.

What I do now is if the parts are no available, just wait until they are :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel LED Monitor