msie, win explorer, control panel all generate error, won'..

msie, win explorer, control panel all generate error, won't open.
i've installed mozilla firefox to get to the web. but nothing MSIE,
WinExplorer or control panel will open. this is a dell 600mhz

what kind of error do you get? does it say something like "opening a file
from this location may be unsafe and is not allowed by your security
settings?" if so, i had the same problem.
- jake

"dave r" <dave r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> msie, win explorer, control panel all generate error, won't open.
> i've installed mozilla firefox to get to the web. but nothing MSIE,
> WinExplorer or control panel will open. this is a dell 600mhz

Jake:
thanks for your speedy reply.
all errors are the same.
"mise or win explorer has generated an error. windows will close the app.
log file being generated."

the winexpl & msie closure errors are well-documented on the site but
seem to rely on uninstallnig msie which can't be done when settings generates
the error.

i can include the .log file but it seems to be only the first log file
generated.
not the 5th, 6th, 7th etc.
dave r

"Jake Wood" wrote:

> what kind of error do you get? does it say something like "opening a file
> from this location may be unsafe and is not allowed by your security
> settings?" if so, i had the same problem.
> - jake
>
> "dave r" <dave r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > msie, win explorer, control panel all generate error, won't open.
> > i've installed mozilla firefox to get to the web. but nothing MSIE,
> > WinExplorer or control panel will open. this is a dell 600mhz

I'm a novice to problems like that, but you might want to try re-installing
Internet Explorer. The file explorer, control panel, they all run off of
Internet Explorer. Just a nickel's worth of free advice. :)

> Jake:
> thanks for your speedy reply.
> all errors are the same.
> "mise or win explorer has generated an error. windows will close the app.
> log file being generated."
>
> the winexpl & msie closure errors are well-documented on the site but
> seem to rely on uninstallnig msie which can't be done when settings
generates
> the error.
>
> i can include the .log file but it seems to be only the first log file
> generated.
> not the 5th, 6th, 7th etc.
> dave r
>

> "Jake Wood" wrote:
>
> > what kind of error do you get? does it say something like "opening a
file
> > from this location may be unsafe and is not allowed by your security
> > settings?" if so, i had the same problem.
> > - jake
> >
> > "dave r" <dave r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > msie, win explorer, control panel all generate error, won't open.
> > > i've installed mozilla firefox to get to the web. but nothing MSIE,
> > > WinExplorer or control panel will open. this is a dell 600mhz

thanks Jake

"Jake Wood" wrote:
> I'm a novice to problems like that, but you might want to try
> re-installing
> Internet Explorer. The file explorer, control panel, they all
> run off of
> Internet Explorer. Just a nickel's worth of free advice. :)
>
> Jake
>
> "dave r" <dave r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jake:
> > thanks for your speedy reply.
> > all errors are the same.
> > "mise or win explorer has generated an error. windows will
> close the app.
> > log file being generated."
> >
> > the winexpl & msie closure errors are well-documented on the
> site but
> > seem to rely on uninstallnig msie which can't be done when
> settings
> generates
> > the error.
> >
> > i can include the .log file but it seems to be only the
> first log file
> > generated.
> > not the 5th, 6th, 7th etc.
> > dave r
> >

> > "Jake Wood" wrote:
> >
>  > > what kind of error do you get? does it say
> something like "opening a
> file
>  > > from this location may be unsafe and is not allowed
> by your security
>  > > settings?" if so, i had the same problem.
>  > > - jake
>  > >
>  > > "dave r" <dave r@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>  > >
>   > > > msie, win explorer, control panel all
> generate error, won't open.
>   > > > i've installed mozilla firefox to get to the
> web. but nothing MSIE,
>   > > > WinExplorer or control panel will open.
> this is a dell 600mhz
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >

control panel > admin tools > event viewer

on the left you will see "applications" "security" and
"securiyt" logs
Left click on each. On the right, look for an error [ probably with a
red symbol" associated with the error. On this error, right click,
then left click "properties".

What are the "source" "event ID" and "description"?

WC

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-msie-win-explorer-control-panel-generate-error-open-ftopict345828.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1085325

Latest posts