Can't change icon in shortcut

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 17, 2005 11:55:49 PM

I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
"mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.

Good. The shortcut now has a icon.

Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).

But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut. So I
try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
create, even if that image is no longer to be found.

How can I change the icon picture?

More about : change icon shortcut

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:41:08 PM

"Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> skrev i melding
news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
> "mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.
>
> Good. The shortcut now has a icon.
>
> Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
> Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).
>
> But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut. So
> try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
> doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
> create, even if that image is no longer to be found.
>
> How can I change the icon picture?

First: The icon that you see on the shortcut is actually stored in a
iconcache file.

When you change the icon, windows iconcache doesn't utdate itself just like
that. You have to set a new icon file for your shortcut (clicking all those
"ok" buttons), and then change it back to the image file that you have
changed.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:41:09 PM

Thanks. I tried that and when I changed it back it reverted to the old (but
no longer existing) icon.

The only way it seems to work is to rename the icon to a never-before-named
..ico file.

Maybe i am not following your advice correctly? I simply repointed the
shortcut's icon to a new icon. That changed it. Then I repointed the
shortcut icon back to the old (but updated in MS paint) icon. THAT reverted
the icon to the old (prior to being updated in MS Paint) icon. Even though
the old icon no longer exists.

"Geir Klemetsen" <regeirgarbagespam@start.no> wrote in message
news:D 1elng$he5$3@services.kq.no...

> "Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> skrev i melding
> news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
> > "mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.
> >
> > Good. The shortcut now has a icon.
> >
> > Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
> > Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).
> >
> > But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut.
So
> > try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
> > doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
> > create, even if that image is no longer to be found.
> >
> > How can I change the icon picture?
>

> First: The icon that you see on the shortcut is actually stored in a
> iconcache file.
>
> When you change the icon, windows iconcache doesn't utdate itself just
like
> that. You have to set a new icon file for your shortcut (clicking all
those
> "ok" buttons), and then change it back to the image file that you have
> changed.

March 18, 2005 5:41:10 PM

Still the same name attached to the "old" image in IconShellCache file.
Delete the hidden IconShellCache file and Windows will rebuild it with
the altered image.

Tim Zych wrote:

> Thanks. I tried that and when I changed it back it reverted to the old (but
> no longer existing) icon.
>
> The only way it seems to work is to rename the icon to a never-before-named
> .ico file.
>
> Maybe i am not following your advice correctly? I simply repointed the
> shortcut's icon to a new icon. That changed it. Then I repointed the
> shortcut icon back to the old (but updated in MS paint) icon. THAT reverted
> the icon to the old (prior to being updated in MS Paint) icon. Even though
> the old icon no longer exists.
>

> "Geir Klemetsen" <regeirgarbagespam@start.no> wrote in message
> news:D 1elng$he5$3@services.kq.no...
>
>>"Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> skrev i melding
>>news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
>>>"mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.
>>>
>>>Good. The shortcut now has a icon.
>>>
>>>Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
>>>Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).
>>>
>>>But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut.
>
> So

>>>try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
>>>doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
>>>create, even if that image is no longer to be found.
>>>
>>>How can I change the icon picture?
>>

>>First: The icon that you see on the shortcut is actually stored in a
>>iconcache file.
>>
>>When you change the icon, windows iconcache doesn't utdate itself just
>
> like
>
>>that. You have to set a new icon file for your shortcut (clicking all
>
> those
>
>>"ok" buttons), and then change it back to the image file that you have
>>changed.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:41:11 PM

thanks. I did that and it worked.

After some reading about "ShellIconCache", some people believe that deleting
it will cause problems. I deleted it and restarted and had no problems.

The KB article http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=132668 says that Windows
will automatically recreate the ShellIconCache by changing the colors in the
Settings tab of the Display properties.

By changing it to 256 and then back to 32 bit, that solved the problem.

Thanks a lot.

> Still the same name attached to the "old" image in IconShellCache file.
> Delete the hidden IconShellCache file and Windows will rebuild it with
> the altered image.
>
> Tim Zych wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I tried that and when I changed it back it reverted to the old
(but
> > no longer existing) icon.
> >
> > The only way it seems to work is to rename the icon to a
never-before-named
> > .ico file.
> >
> > Maybe i am not following your advice correctly? I simply repointed the
> > shortcut's icon to a new icon. That changed it. Then I repointed the
> > shortcut icon back to the old (but updated in MS paint) icon. THAT
reverted
> > the icon to the old (prior to being updated in MS Paint) icon. Even
though
> > the old icon no longer exists.
> >

> > "Geir Klemetsen" <regeirgarbagespam@start.no> wrote in message
> > news:D 1elng$he5$3@services.kq.no...
> >
> >>"Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> skrev i melding
> >>news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> > So

> >>First: The icon that you see on the shortcut is actually stored in a
> >>iconcache file.
> >>
> >>When you change the icon, windows iconcache doesn't utdate itself just
> >
> > like
> >
> >>that. You have to set a new icon file for your shortcut (clicking all
> >
> > those
> >
> >>"ok" buttons), and then change it back to the image file that you have
> >>changed.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:41:12 PM

Good to hear you have it doing as you wished. IIRC the "no delete"
reference was based on a discussion some one apparently had with a MS
tech at some time but I've never seen documentation to that effect.

Tim Zych wrote:

> thanks. I did that and it worked.
>
> After some reading about "ShellIconCache", some people believe that deleting
> it will cause problems. I deleted it and restarted and had no problems.
>
> The KB article http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=132668 says that Windows
> will automatically recreate the ShellIconCache by changing the colors in the
> Settings tab of the Display properties.
>
> By changing it to 256 and then back to 32 bit, that solved the problem.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Still the same name attached to the "old" image in IconShellCache file.
>>Delete the hidden IconShellCache file and Windows will rebuild it with
>>the altered image.
>>
>>Tim Zych wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks. I tried that and when I changed it back it reverted to the old
>
> (but
>
>>>no longer existing) icon.
>>>
>>>The only way it seems to work is to rename the icon to a
>
> never-before-named
>
>>>.ico file.
>>>
>>>Maybe i am not following your advice correctly? I simply repointed the
>>>shortcut's icon to a new icon. That changed it. Then I repointed the
>>>shortcut icon back to the old (but updated in MS paint) icon. THAT
>
> reverted
>
>>>the icon to the old (prior to being updated in MS Paint) icon. Even
>
> though
>
>>>the old icon no longer exists.
>>>

>>>"Geir Klemetsen" <regeirgarbagespam@start.no> wrote in message
>>>news:D 1elng$he5$3@services.kq.no...

>>>So

>>>like

>>>those

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:32:40 PM

"Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> wrote in message
news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
> "mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.
>
> Good. The shortcut now has a icon.
>
> Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
> Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).
>
> But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut. So
> try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
> doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
> create, even if that image is no longer to be found.
>
> How can I change the icon picture?

Maybe you do not have the required access to modify that shortcut.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:32:41 PM

Tried it at work and home, both with Administrator privileges.

My coworker (developer) has same problem. He has admin privileges too.

Are you saying you can do it?

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Tim Zych" <nosapsmafasdfasdf@nasdfasdfasdfasd.xxx> wrote in message
> news:o rK5lZ3KFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I create a shortcut. Right click -> Properties -> change icon. Browse to
> > "mypic.ico". Ok. Apply.
> >
> > Good. The shortcut now has a icon.
> >
> > Now I modify "mypic.ico". I open it with MS Paint and change something.
> > Repeat the first step (browse to the mypic.ico, etc).
> >
> > But this doesn't work. The icon picture doesn't change in the shortcut.
So
> > try again by deleting the shortcut and repeating the first step. That
> > doesn't work either. The FIRST icon is always in every new shortcut I
> > create, even if that image is no longer to be found.
> >
> > How can I change the icon picture?
> >

> Maybe you do not have the required access to modify that shortcut.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:40:19 PM

Sure can - just tried it under Win2000.

!