Sign in with
Your question

building a new PC - web designer/developer

Last response: in Systems
December 18, 2006 2:14:21 AM

Hey guys. This is my first post. I am about to build a new computer, and need some help on the specs.

The computer will be used for a lot of photoshop and flash work. Programing, some after effects and premiere use. Lots of counter strike too ;) 

Here is what I was looking at getting:

CPU: core 2 duo 2.4
MB: P5B deluxe with wifi OR p5n32 sli with wifi
ram: corsair twin 2x2048-6400C4
vid: asus eax1950xtx or xfx 7950GX2 XXX (respective to mb)
PS: antec true control II 550
HD: WD 250
sound: x-fi platinum

for a case I want something sleek and simple. I really don't like these elaborate alien looking cases. I like plain and simple.

I have never overclocked anything, but i would like to begin looking into it. Not saying it's going to happen, but it may happen. Any suggestions would be welcome.
December 18, 2006 2:38:08 AM

Looks pretty good, but the gfx card is a complete waste of money. The cheapest 1950xtx is $380, the cheapest 8800gts is $430, the 8800gts will give you MUCH better performance then the xtx. Stick with the P5B deluxe, its a great mobo. Get this ram, it'll oc much better then the corsair stuff. If you like plain and simple cases then Lian-Li is for you, best cases that you can get int the US imo.

Lian-Li's available on newegg
December 18, 2006 3:25:29 AM

Seconded!

Overkill on that vid card, find something cheaper.

Lian-Li's are the epitome of minimalist and elegance in design. Their low-end cases are affordable, functional, and timeless. PC-7B PLUS..... ;) 
Related resources
December 18, 2006 4:00:40 AM

thanks for the suggestions. I am in Canada, and have to look around for the stuff you guys mentioned. Should I go with a GTX instead of GTS if i'm gonna go the 8800 route?
December 18, 2006 4:32:10 AM

If you can afford to go for the 8800GTX.... jump all over it.
December 18, 2006 4:42:41 AM

Get an iMac. They don't crash as often, there are no viruses or spyware for MacOS. Webdesign and development are best done on MacOS based software (Hollywood and 85% of designing firms use them for development). And they can run Windows if absolutely necessary. Might cost you more initially but will save you time, headache, and experience less downtime in the future. I've had my mac for 3 years and I have never ever had a problem with it, not one time. But to each his own. Plz don't clobber me now that i've outed myself as a Mac user........ *backs away slowly, turns and starts running*
December 18, 2006 2:02:27 PM

Quote:
Get an iMac. They don't crash as often, there are no viruses or spyware for MacOS. Webdesign and development are best done on MacOS based software (Hollywood and 85% of designing firms use them for development). And they can run Windows if absolutely necessary. Might cost you more initially but will save you time, headache, and experience less downtime in the future. I've had my mac for 3 years and I have never ever had a problem with it, not one time. But to each his own. Plz don't clobber me now that i've outed myself as a Mac user........ *backs away slowly, turns and starts running*

hehe I won't clobber. But I've used a Mac in the past, and I've used a PC. I'd like to think that I know my ways around a PC, and I've honestly never had any real problems with viruses or spyware. I was thinking of getting a g5 and having a dual boot with OS and Windows, but it's outside my price range.

Is getting a gtx instead of a gts worth the price difference?
December 18, 2006 2:05:30 PM

Quote:

Yeah, um, he mentioned Counter-Strike :D 
December 18, 2006 2:09:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of getting a g5 and having a dual boot with OS and Windows, but it's outside my price range.

Is getting a gtx instead of a gts worth the price difference?

and impossible, i dont think theres a ppc version of windows. :wink:

if you can afford to get the gtx then its totally worth the price difference.
December 18, 2006 2:25:41 PM

I wouldn't touch a 7950GX2 with a 10 ft pole.

Get a 8800 card or a quadro FX.
December 18, 2006 2:38:20 PM

If you're hellbent on the 8800GTX, well.......it'll spank anything you throw at it.

Also, I live in Mississauga, so trust me on this one:

On such a big purchase and dollar amount, PST will kill ya. Consider ordering online from someplace out in B.C and then you just pay GST ;) 

Check out these guys, I've used them numerous times and they have the best prices I can find:

http://www.directcanada.com

Great prices on the 8800's and whatever else you may need. They have rotating sales too, and often have free shipping for orders over $300 or whatever.
December 18, 2006 3:22:28 PM

Quote:

Mac users don't get as many viruses because Windows based systems make up so much more of the market, and are therefore the better target. PC users who know what to do (and what not to do) don't get viruses anyway. I don't have AV software actively running on my computer anymore because I simply don't get viruses. I run a manual scan once a month to ensure nothing may have slipped through, but so far.... I have not had any viruses running on my computer in the last 4 years. The one time I did have a virus on my main computer (the one in my sig) was when my sister accidentally opened an advertisment in a popup that appeared from a website she went to in IE. The files were not opened, only downloaded to my drive. They were promptly removed and that was that.
December 18, 2006 3:28:49 PM

He wants to play PC games, so a MAC won't work.

I haven't had a virus in 3+ years either. on a PC.

Keep your kids off it, thats the best antivirus.
December 18, 2006 3:34:20 PM

thanks for the link skyguy, I'll definitely check them out. I also have a contact to a local dealer that won't charge me tax and may even get me a discount if the cost is $2000+ and I will be getting a comp, my buddy will be getting another, and I might also be getting an additional mobo and cpu combo, so I think pricewise I will be getting a good deal. I just never have built a system before, and wanted to know if the components I chose were worth the cost, and were the best for what I will be using it for.

and guys, let's not get into a flame war over which is better, a mac or a pc, both are great.
December 18, 2006 3:54:25 PM

Well, if you got a connection with a buddy, then that's great, might be a better idea.

As for PC/Mac, give it a rest guys. He's looking for advice for a PC, so give him advice for a PC. Simple.

As far as your parts/components go 3magine, looks good. Maybe post a final revised list before you're ready to go so we can have a last check.
December 18, 2006 3:56:08 PM

I'm going to be getting a price check on the components in a few hours from my buddy.

So i will definitely be looking at the 8800 gts or gtx instead of the 7950.

How about the mobo? Is that going to be the best bang for the buck?

What about the PSU? Should I look at getting something with a higher W?
December 18, 2006 4:03:57 PM

Both really are great. I have and use both. I use PC mostly for games and fun and my mac for important finances, school work and family photo stuff (i can't risk losing them to a BSOD or virus attack, I have a kid who uses the computer too, kids + computer = high maintenance PC). I'm currently building a PC for a friend. Currently the list of parts add up to about $1700USD and would be perfect for what you're looking for.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz
Mem: 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz
HD: 2x36.7GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA150 RAID 0
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
PSU: Antec True Power Trio 550watt and Thermaltake 250watt Graphics card dedicated PSU
Optical Drive: Samsung 18xDVD+/-R, 12xDVD-RAM Lightscribe
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965 chipset

There are two power supplies, one for the system, and one for the 8800GTX. That way your graphics card won't suffer from being power starved and won't burn out the main supply at the same time. and as LambofGodE3x said to me, saying your box needs two PSUs is just bad a$$.

If your budget is approximately $2000, then find a good case and you got a screaming system.
December 18, 2006 4:08:08 PM

Quote:
Both really are great. I have and use both. I use PC mostly for games and fun and my mac for important finances, school work and family photo stuff (i can't risk losing them to a BSOD or virus attack, I have a kid who uses the computer too, kids + computer = high maintenance PC). I'm currently building a PC for a friend. Currently the list of parts add up to about $1700USD and would be perfect for what you're looking for.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz
Mem: 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz
HD: 2x36.7GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA150 RAID 0
GPU: XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
PSU: Antec True Power Trio 550watt and Thermaltake 250watt Graphics card dedicated PSU
Optical Drive: Samsung 18xDVD+/-R, 12xDVD-RAM Lightscribe
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965 chipset

There are two power supplies, one for the system, and one for the 8800GTX. That way your graphics card won't suffer from being power starved and won't burn out the main supply at the same time. and as LambofGodE3x said to me, saying your box needs two PSUs is just bad a$$.

If your budget is approximately $2000, then find a good case and you got a screaming system.

thanks for the info. I might also be able to save some dollars on the harddrive. I don't think i'll be going the raptor route, and will probably pick up a seagate 250 or 320.
December 18, 2006 4:10:29 PM

I'd also like to note that I am currently running adual 20" dell monitor setup. And I just picked up a dell 24" that may or may not be used, with the possibility of running dual 24" in the near future.
December 18, 2006 4:56:52 PM

Macs are no different from any other PC once you start running windows, except that they are proprietary and more expensive.

Get a good PC. Silverstone makes really nice Aluminum cases. I have an sg01 cube case. It's only limitation id MicroATX. They have a larger midtower that cools perfectly, and all aluminum is very nice looking in silver or black.

Get an ATI Fire GL card, especially if you are doing HD video. You seems to be shopping for gaming cards. Wrong side of the fence.
December 18, 2006 5:10:45 PM

Quote:
Macs are no different from any other PC once you start running windows, except that they are proprietary and more expensive.

Get a good PC. Silverstone makes really nice Aluminum cases. I have an sg01 cube case. It's only limitation id MicroATX. They have a larger midtower that cools perfectly, and all aluminum is very nice looking in silver or black.

Get an ATI Fire GL card, especially if you are doing HD video. You seems to be shopping for gaming cards. Wrong side of the fence.

I'm going to be a bit of video editing, more so special effects in after effects (not necessarily special effects for video, more so for the web)

I won't be doing any 3D work, so i think a fire gl is going to be an overkill.
!