Mysterious loss of network connection

I have an issue on a Win 2000 computer in our office. The computer seems to
loose the network connection about 3 times a day: around 11:00AM, 1:30 Pm and
4:00 PM. (I’m not sure of the precise time that it happens I usually find out
when Outlook gives me the “can’t find server� error. It’s set up to check
for mail every 20 minutes. ) The extent of the error also varies, sometime
I’ll just loose the internet, and sometimes along with the internal office
network and printers. Currently to fix the problem I just need to log out and
back in and everything is fine.

Typically when I loose the connection it’s just a matter of time before one
of the programs I’m running locks up. No blue screen and only a hard reset
will get it going again.

Out of 15 W2000 computers on this network this is the only one causing
problems.

Any Ideas, or do you think I’ll have to reload W2000?

Thanks in advance for any help.

it can be a hardware problem ... network card or motherboard.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Don_S" <DonS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an issue on a Win 2000 computer in our office. The computer seems to
> loose the network connection about 3 times a day: around 11:00AM, 1:30 Pm
> and
> 4:00 PM. (I'm not sure of the precise time that it happens I usually find
> out
> when Outlook gives me the "can't find server" error. It's set up to check
> for mail every 20 minutes. ) The extent of the error also varies, sometime
> I'll just loose the internet, and sometimes along with the internal office
> network and printers. Currently to fix the problem I just need to log out
> and
> back in and everything is fine.
>
> Typically when I loose the connection it's just a matter of time before
> one
> of the programs I'm running locks up. No blue screen and only a hard reset
> will get it going again.
>
> Out of 15 W2000 computers on this network this is the only one causing
> problems.
>
> Any Ideas, or do you think I'll have to reload W2000?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I figured it might be a memory issue; I've asked our IT guys to dig up a
spare RAM chip that I could test it with. But because the lock-up occure at 2
1/2" hour intervals, maybe something with a timer like the MB or NIC could be
the issue.

Thanks,

"Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:

> it can be a hardware problem ... network card or motherboard.
>

> --
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.eventid.net
> Free Windows event logs reports
> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>
> "Don_S" <DonS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an issue on a Win 2000 computer in our office. The computer seems to
> > loose the network connection about 3 times a day: around 11:00AM, 1:30 Pm
> > and
> > 4:00 PM. (I'm not sure of the precise time that it happens I usually find
> > out
> > when Outlook gives me the "can't find server" error. It's set up to check
> > for mail every 20 minutes. ) The extent of the error also varies, sometime
> > I'll just loose the internet, and sometimes along with the internal office
> > network and printers. Currently to fix the problem I just need to log out
> > and
> > back in and everything is fine.
> >
> > Typically when I loose the connection it's just a matter of time before
> > one
> > of the programs I'm running locks up. No blue screen and only a hard reset
> > will get it going again.
> >
> > Out of 15 W2000 computers on this network this is the only one causing
> > problems.
> >
> > Any Ideas, or do you think I'll have to reload W2000?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.

Anything in Task Scheduler?

Don_S wrote:

> I figured it might be a memory issue; I've asked our IT guys to dig up a
> spare RAM chip that I could test it with. But because the lock-up occure at 2
> 1/2" hour intervals, maybe something with a timer like the MB or NIC could be
> the issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Andrei Ungureanu" wrote:
>

>>it can be a hardware problem ... network card or motherboard.
>>

>>--
>>Andrei Ungureanu
>>www.eventid.net
>>Free Windows event logs reports
>>http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/
>>
>>"Don_S" <DonS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have an issue on a Win 2000 computer in our office. The computer seems to
>>>loose the network connection about 3 times a day: around 11:00AM, 1:30 Pm
>>>and
>>>4:00 PM. (I'm not sure of the precise time that it happens I usually find
>>>out
>>>when Outlook gives me the "can't find server" error. It's set up to check
>>>for mail every 20 minutes. ) The extent of the error also varies, sometime
>>>I'll just loose the internet, and sometimes along with the internal office
>>>network and printers. Currently to fix the problem I just need to log out
>>>and
>>>back in and everything is fine.
>>>
>>>Typically when I loose the connection it's just a matter of time before
>>>one
>>>of the programs I'm running locks up. No blue screen and only a hard reset
>>>will get it going again.
>>>
>>>Out of 15 W2000 computers on this network this is the only one causing
>>>problems.
>>>
>>>Any Ideas, or do you think I'll have to reload W2000?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help.

Currently there nothing in task scheduler, it actually doesn't seem to be
automatically active in Win2000 like some of the other Win OS's.

As an update, the NIC was replaced but the connection drops keep happening.
The IS dept said they were going to try a different computer, so I'm just
waiting for them to make the switch. That'll at least tell us if it's the
computer or a network issue.