Help with duplicate USB printer

Hello,
I'm running a USB printer in Win2000 SP4.
It's an Epson Stylus 860.

In settings/printers I see two printers:
http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/printers.JPG

My method of using this printer with the least amount of
hassle is to first turn the printer on, prior to booting the PC.

The thing that's bothering me is that some times the
(copy 2) incarnation of the printer is the one that works,
and has to be selected in the application I'm printing from,
and sometimes it's the other one.

If I look in device manager and select show hidden
devices, under printers, I see the good one, with
a solid icon, and the other with a faded icon :
http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/devmgr1.JPG

Under properties the faded icon printer says::
http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/devmgr2.JPG

In an attempt to solve this problem I've deleted all printers,
from settings/printers and from device manager.

Once the printer is redetected and reinstalled, the
same problem with the 2 copies occurs again.

What's going on ? Any info appreciated.

Dave

In device manager did you "View" Show Hidden and get rid of those too?

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:46:58 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In device manager did you "View" Show Hidden and get rid of those too?

Yes I did. But as I said, upon redection, within perhaps 2 or 3 uses
of the printer I'm back to square one.

Dave

>da_test wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm running a USB printer in Win2000 SP4.
>> It's an Epson Stylus 860.
>>
>> In settings/printers I see two printers:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/printers.JPG
>>
>> My method of using this printer with the least amount of
>> hassle is to first turn the printer on, prior to booting the PC.
>>
>> The thing that's bothering me is that some times the
>> (copy 2) incarnation of the printer is the one that works,
>> and has to be selected in the application I'm printing from,
>> and sometimes it's the other one.
>>
>> If I look in device manager and select show hidden
>> devices, under printers, I see the good one, with
>> a solid icon, and the other with a faded icon :
>> http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/devmgr1.JPG
>>
>> Under properties the faded icon printer says::
>> http://home.comcast.net/~davetest/devmgr2.JPG
>>
>> In an attempt to solve this problem I've deleted all printers,
>> from settings/printers and from device manager.
>>
>> Once the printer is redetected and reinstalled, the
>> same problem with the 2 copies occurs again.
>>

>> What's going on ? Any info appreciated.
>>
>> Dave

Something sounds like it didn't get installed correctly. have you had a
look over at Epson tech support? Perhaps a uninstall with their
utilities and a clean reinstall will sort it out.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:32:25 -0600, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Something sounds like it didn't get installed correctly. have you had a
>look over at Epson tech support? Perhaps a uninstall with their
>utilities and a clean reinstall will sort it out.
I'll look into it. Perhaps there is something I'm missing.

Regarding the USB, I've always thought they behaved a little odd;
I usually turn on the printer before booting the PC. Since a 2nd copy
of the printer seems to install, it's almost as if it didn't recognize
that it was already there, so installed it again - but only one of
the choices works. I say installed again, but I never get any
messages that something is installing. If it's not that,
what else created the shadow printer?

Regarding switching on the printer with the PC already up and
running - is it supposed to work with USB?

Dave