Sign in with
Your question

Can't get X1950XTX up to 2000MHz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2006 3:39:18 AM

I have an ATI X1950XTX graphics card with Catalyst 6.11 installed. Using ATI Catalyst Control Center with the ATI Overdrive under the Graphics Processor Status I can turn the VPU Clock up to a requested 695MHz with a Current setting of 506MHz and under the Graphics Memory Status I can only turn the Memory Clock up to a requested clock of 1098MHz and a current clock of 594MHz. Why can't I get the memory clock up to the advertised 2000MHz? Did I void the warranty by unlocking the ATI Overdrive?

More about : x1950xtx 2000mhz

a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2006 3:59:52 AM

Because the advertised speed isnt 2000mhz.

EDIT: My bad, I thought you were talking about the x1900xtx.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2006 4:02:40 AM

When the card isnt under load it never runs at full speed, it slows down to save power. Dont know if it does it with the memory tho.
Related resources
December 18, 2006 4:21:56 AM

The real memory clock is 1.0ghz. In DDR terms, that's 2ghz EFFECTIVE speed.
1000mhz doubled= 2ghz.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2006 4:26:09 AM

Yes but he said its running at 594MHz. 594x2 !=2000
December 18, 2006 7:15:55 AM

In Catalyst Control Center, you see 2d frequencies minus the double rate on the memory.

I don't know the 1950XTX that well, but in 2d mode a X1900XTX will run at Core 500 Mhz and 1200 (memory 600x2).

Going to 3d, the core will jump aswell as the memory, IF the game requires this. Not all games push the card to higher clocks.

Looking at Tom's review, the x1950xtx will run 2000mhz (1000x2) in Game mode - which you can't see (in CCC), unless you are using the graph utility on Ati Tray Tool.
December 18, 2006 4:31:37 PM

So, I won't see the 2000MHz. I will only see half that =1000MHz. Correct?700MHz for the Processor and 1100MHz for the Memory is the max setting for each. That's 50MHz over for the Processor and (2x 1100= 2200) 200MHz over for the Memory. I guess that is the ATI Over Drive OCing it, Right? Does that seem right? I don't know much about this, as you can tell. I just want to make sure there is no problems with it before the return period is up.
December 18, 2006 6:43:12 PM

You will see 1000MHz, because that's technically the accurate way of showing it. 2000MHz is the effective clock speed as the any DDR RAM type can go in upward and downward direction.

The effective speed is 2000MHz, going in both directions.

If you want more overclocking, download either ATI Tool or ATI Tray Tools. Both allow fan control and voltage controls to maximize your overclock. If you want a small overclock, then ATI Overdrive is fine.
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2006 11:11:16 PM

Either way he voids his warranty, but who cares? Once I know a card works fine, warranties are the last thing I worry about 8)
December 19, 2006 3:57:11 AM

He might void his warantee... Thing is, that with todays hasty business philosphy, I doubt if a great majority of people will do the effort to check why a gcard blew up (manpower on trivial tasks = loss of money), and I have yet to hear from someone that has oc'd a card to breaking point and then not getting a return (okay, I live in a cave - but nonetheless). Taking the cooler off, now that's a sure way to void warantee.

As far as Overdrive goes, it relies on safety checking along with the drop of oc in the ocean, or pond. The X1950XTX is already streched quite a bit, and that's normally the case with a company's top product - it's running as close to the limits as possible. Unless you have the money to spend in cooling that card even more, I'd say treat OC'ing lightly. It's already a great card, and the OC you might achieve with stock cooling will yield minimal gains.

Randomizer: Congrats on the Ashes - very good win! :wink:
December 20, 2006 11:01:20 PM

I haven't had this card 30 days yet. I was afraid it wasn't working correctly. With my very limited knowledge of overclocking and graphics cards I wanted to make sure everything was working good before the first 30 days were up.
December 21, 2006 12:45:27 AM

Quote:
Either way he voids his warranty, but who cares? Once I know a card works fine, warranties are the last thing I worry about 8)

Yea, voiding warranty only comes into play when a physical change occurs in the card, like a hard volt mod, and heatsink change, or something they can notice.

Overclocking through software is something they can't detect, so you're not really "voiding" the warranty. 8)
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2006 12:50:06 AM

Well theres something I didnt know, although I guess I never thought about it. I think I'll stick to software OCing anyway, so if something goes wrong, all I have to do is alter/disable the OC. Blind boots from botched BIOS alterations are not something I would enjoy getting around. Had enough troubles with my 9800 pro, but at least it wasnt a blind boot.
December 21, 2006 1:30:16 AM

That's good to know. That's an answer to one of those question, I always wanted to know but didn't want to ask. I often wondered how they would know if you OCed it without it being fried.
December 21, 2006 2:23:10 AM

IMO u cant really tell if something has been OC'd
ATI OC control panel will reset/lock itself if u reinstall/upgrade.
And the effort needed to do a good h/ware analysis is too expensive when compared to dishing out a new component.

Even if u literally burn the component from OC, im pretty sure 9/10 they will replace it.

On the other hand i recently got a dud mobo, took it back next day, they came back after 5min and said the cpu pins were bent = no warranty. :evil:  :evil:  :evil: 

Back to the card... on teh 1950xt i get the same thing. I just figured it was throttling cos all my fps were fine.
December 21, 2006 2:59:24 AM

Is there another way to tell if a graphics card is running up to par other than benchmarking it? I have no problem with supporting the programmers for $15 for benchmarking software, I'd just like to know if there is another way of checking. What is a good benchmarking program for a beginner to start with?
December 21, 2006 3:53:47 AM

Quote:
Is there another way to tell if a graphics card is running up to par other than benchmarking it?

Well... yes and no. U could kinda test if its running well my looking at temps and stressing it. But the only way u know if its running well, other than crashes/artifacts etc, is comparing the card to others. Ie benchmarking.

U can look @ Toms benches (very helpful), u can also d/l free benches like 3dmark, aquamark, cpumark, pcmark, sandra, blah blah. Try 3dmark 1st.

Also... before u bench dl ATI tool, do an 'artifact scan' let it run for an hour or so, this can uncover errors. Also run prime/orthos (one copy for each core) and stress the cpu/mem. If u dont get errors, bench it. U can then compare your sys with others.
December 21, 2006 4:26:44 AM

Normally, I test a card and compare it on the 3dmark platform.

Due to systems varying so widely, it's hard to gauge whether your card is up to par in comparison to games where you will seldom have the exact same system as the reviewer. So, 3dmark pleases me in that regard, as it's farely consistent.

Checking hardware though, I use Ati Tray Tools graph feature, and check temps on one graph and frequency on the next. There you can clearly see the frequencies increase in game.
December 21, 2006 8:08:44 AM

I have been using ATI Tray Tools and ATI tools both are useful. I just have a hard time with it because its a trial by fire and I don't know what some of the settings do. Maybe I need to come back sober j/k. and I can find the help file. Does ether of these have a guide, or is there a good article about them in the forums somewhere?
December 21, 2006 8:47:06 AM

No guide that I know of. What settings are you refering to?
January 25, 2007 6:06:33 PM

Does anyone have a fix for this or know what causes this to happen?

This screen dump shows the problem:

The Current VPU Clock should be 648MHz (the default for this card) and it isn't, it won't go any higher than 506MHz. The same for the Curren Memory Clock, the default is 999MHz, but it won't go any higher than 594MHz. I thought it was my card at first, but I have tried this with 2 cards and 2 motherboards.
January 25, 2007 11:21:15 PM

Those are 2D clock speeds! In a 3D application it will go to the rated speeds.
January 26, 2007 1:10:05 AM

:lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2007 3:57:47 AM

This thread has been brought to you by...

the "I don't know WTF I'm doing, but I wanna be an overclocker because I heard they're cool, now what do I crank again?" society.

January 26, 2007 6:29:53 AM

Quote:
This thread has been brought to you by...

the "I don't know WTF I'm doing, but I wanna be an overclocker because I heard they're cool, now what do I crank again?" society.

I asked a question in a polite and civil manner, expecting a polite, civil and intelligent response.

All I get is trolls and jerks who can barely string a sentence together.

I don't recall mentioning I wanted to overclock anything - I just wanted the card to run at the speed I bought it for.
January 26, 2007 6:44:00 AM

Quote:
Those are 2D clock speeds! In a 3D application it will go to the rated speeds.

Thanks Prozac, but this does not seem to be the case.

If I just use the Catalyst control center and leave it at the default values and run the Video Stress Test in Counter-Strike Source I get only 117fps @ 1680x1050 with all the game settings at max.

If I use ATITool to set the cards to the default clock of 648/999, the Video Stress Test in Counter-Strike Source jumps to 180fps @ 1680x1050. So something is wrong somewhere.
January 26, 2007 7:23:31 AM

Well, it looks like it is my cards are incompatible.

If I run the Master by itself I get get 170fps @1680x1050.

If I run the Slave by itself I get 170fps @1680x1050.

If I run them in Crossfire mode, I get 117fps @1680x1050 - LOL.

:?
January 26, 2007 2:16:01 PM

I finally sorted it. I don't know how. I took everything apart and put it back together, removed and reinstalled the latest drivers, etc. And now I am getting 203fps @ 1680x1050, so I am happy.

I must admit, the 2D/3D mode did confuse me at first and didn't help me diagnosing whatever the fault was.
!