2000 PRO DLLs for kernel

DELL OptiPlex with an attitude. Seemingly, I've corrupted one of my boot
files. boot.ini, ntoskrnl and hal.dll. Don't know if there is a virus that
destroys those things or not. I've tried all the knowledge base suggestions,
replacing the files from the cd...etc. Have installed another version to a
different directory. Tried building a new boot. ini. Still getting the same
message.

"Windows 2000 could not start because of an error in the software. Please
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem."

Desperately needing any help you can provide. Any diagnostics I can run to
test these files or the hard drive. I know scan disk used to do that kind of
work, don't know if 2000 has those tools. HELP HELP HELP

All solutions for this condition seem to point to an in-place upgrade as a fix.
I don't know if the Dell software allows you to do this.

Here are links that outline the procedure using a standard Win2K Pro CD:
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6200/rh6252.htm

or...

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175