E6400 with HT?

Zephyr

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Do the allendale e6400 have hyper-transport technology? I'm wondering because I'm trying to test for stablity with prime 95.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
He said Hypertransport.

Not that it has that either. That's an AMD technology used in AMD64 CPUs.

Well, its actually an Open technology, but AMD have lead the development of it and use it in their CPUs. Intel don't use it at all.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
He said Hypertransport.

Not that it has that either. That's an AMD technology used in AMD64 CPUs.

Well, its actually an Open technology, but AMD have lead the development of it and use it in their CPUs. Intel don't use it at all.
I'm wondering what either would have to do with P95 testing. :?

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Indeed. :)
Well, if you use an nVidia chipset, then you have an HT link between northbridge and southbridge..
But then again, what does it have to do with your stability tests?

Cherubael

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Prime95 isn't written to test multi-core systems by default, so you won't get full load using default settings. It's specifically written to load one core 100%. You need to run more than one instance to properly load a multi-core system.

To run further Prime95 instances, create new shortcuts to the executable with the command line switch -An where n is an integer defining a new instance. The first one should be 1, the second 2, and so on. Assume that double clicking the executable directly has the switch -A0.

Not really much use unless you have a multi core system.

EDIT: By the way, HyperThreading is pretty useless currently, as most games aren't threaded to take advantage of multiple cores yet. You may find you get better results without HypeThreading enabled, even if you have it.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Hyperthreading isnt like having a whole new core. Its more like the cpu trying to use the small ammounts of idle states to send a little data. Its hardly comparable to a second core. at best i mean at 100% best it can give maybe 15% more speed but rarly ever does.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Do the allendale e6400 have hyper-transport technology? I'm wondering because I'm trying to test for stablity with prime 95.

Nope, hyperthreading is not implemented in the current revision of Core uArch. There are rumors that HT will make it back into the Nehalem product due in 2008.

Jack
Do you believe it will bring any significant improvements?
It made miracles for the stupid Prescott but what about C2D.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Nope, hyperthreading is not implemented in the current revision of Core uArch. There are rumors that HT will make it back into the Nehalem product due in 2008.

Jack
Do you believe it will bring any significant improvements?
It made miracles for the stupid Prescott but what about C2D.I don't see it making much if any difference on dual-core...just look at the difference it made on Pentium D EE....not much. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS