installing win 2000 pro

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I need to copy a win 2000 pro installation from one
computer to another. I have 2 option, i want to write it
onto a CD, the question is how do i make the cd bootable
or how do i know i am copying a bootable file (if there
any such thing. Secondly, i could use a flash drive to
copy the files, but can i install the OS from the USB
flash drive.
Help.

Why don't you make a copy of Win2K from the original CD?
If you are upgrading to Win2K, you can use your flash drive. What you need
is i386 folder and run ntsetup.exe or ntsetup32.exe.

"moi" wrote:

> I need to copy a win 2000 pro installation from one
> computer to another. I have 2 option, i want to write it
> onto a CD, the question is how do i make the cd bootable
> or how do i know i am copying a bootable file (if there
> any such thing. Secondly, i could use a flash drive to
> copy the files, but can i install the OS from the USB
> flash drive.
> Help.

bytor

In article <20ea01c52c7a$1facae90$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com, moi says...

> I need to copy a win 2000 pro installation from one
> computer to another. I have 2 option, i want to write it
> onto a CD, the question is how do i make the cd bootable
> or how do i know i am copying a bootable file (if there
> any such thing. Secondly, i could use a flash drive to
> copy the files, but can i install the OS from the USB
> flash drive.
> Help.

Providing both machines are almost identical all you have to do is
remove the drive from the computer you want to copy the OS to, place it
slaved on your other machine where you want to copy from & use the
Harddrives utility & do a Disk to Disk copy......There is a command line
I believe to do this but I can't recall at the moment, I've never had to
do that before.....After you are finished remove the newly copied drive
and put it back in your other machine & boot it.....and keep your
fingers crossed.
If the machines are not identical and it gives you trouble booting than
you need the actual Win2k install disk to run a repair from the recovery
console.....

From the description of what you want to do I find it a tad
confusing...You just can't "copy" an installation by way of
folders.....I think trying to burn it to CD's is also useless unless you
are making/restoring an image. An actual install may be possible from a
HD but I highly doubt it....Win98 on the other hand can easily be
installed using just the Win98 folder copied to a drive...Ahhhhh, those
were the days.......... ;0)

Anyway, unless you can really give a better description of what you are
trying to do it will only open up a whole load of questions from anyone
here trying to help ya............

You're chances of success using either approach are slim to none.

Only if the two systems are identical, a more reasonable approach would be to
use imaging software like Acronis or Ghost to create an image of one and restore
it to the other.

Let me ask the obvious: Why don't you just install Win2K from the setup CD?

See this link for how-to info:

HOW TO: Install Windows 2000 Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304868

If you're upgrading, see this one:

How to Prepare to Upgrade Windows 95 or Windows 98 to Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250297

If you're considering upgrading WinMe, see this one:

Windows Me to Windows 2000 Upgrade Is Not Supported
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272627

"moi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to copy a win 2000 pro installation from one
> computer to another. I have 2 option, i want to write it
> onto a CD, the question is how do i make the cd bootable
> or how do i know i am copying a bootable file (if there
> any such thing. Secondly, i could use a flash drive to
> copy the files, but can i install the OS from the USB
> flash drive.
> Help.

Moi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

here is the truth, in my office, i have windows 2000pro
installation files in a folder on the HD. I want to use
this to install win2000 on a computer outside the office.
One to be upgraded and another a fresh installation. But i
can't go out with the CD.

What CD Key are you going to use? Do you have a legal CD Key for that?

moi wrote:
> here is the truth, in my office, i have windows 2000pro
> installation files in a folder on the HD. I want to use
> this to install win2000 on a computer outside the office.
> One to be upgraded and another a fresh installation. But i
> can't go out with the CD.

So, what you really want is our help in stealing from your employer? I
don't think so. Go buy your own software.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

bytor

In article <0d0a01c52c83$d1508460$a501280a@phx.gbl>,
anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com, moi says...

> here is the truth, in my office, i have windows 2000pro
> installation files in a folder on the HD. I want to use
> this to install win2000 on a computer outside the office.
> One to be upgraded and another a fresh installation. But i
> can't go out with the CD.

A key is a question but I guess you may have that already worked out....

I found this for ya...Basically someone in the thread already answered
your question but this is a little more specific.

Scroll down: Ricks instructions are good but looks a little involved &
some steps uneccessary, you may want to try what Nodsu suggests, it
could be that simple.....It's the way I mentioned 98 can be installed.
As far as an upgrade? I'm not sure if this will work if you run the
command and it recognizes the installed OS, it may...I've always done
clean installs.........Good Luck!

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic14204.html

moi wrote:
> here is the truth, in my office, i have windows 2000pro
> installation files in a folder on the HD. I want to use
> this to install win2000 on a computer outside the office.
> One to be upgraded and another a fresh installation. But i
> can't go out with the CD.

If your employer is not giving you one of their available *legal* licenses
to run their copy of W2000 Pro on your home/whatever computer, nobody in
here should give you advice on how to attempt to bypass it.

Talk to your management. The license & CD is your company's property. If
this is to be another computer used for work, and your management has
approved it, they should give you what they need.

Otherwise, it's stealing - and I can't help you with that.