Hey, Gramps, Can I Borrow Your Mac?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Check this out:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=EDKCRBZEJQTPMQSNDLRCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=196600880&subSection=

So very priceless. Now, I'm not a mac-hater, but it DOES bug me when Mac users think they are cooler than PC users (and I frackin' hate those commercials). So, reading this made me happy. :D

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I frackin' hate those commercials
ditto they just piss me off and talk bollocks, for cryin out load who gives a sh*t about iLife, iphoto and all the other iCrap that they've got. atleast windows has SOME 3rd party support in terms of hardware and software, and the SOME software is affordable, unlike mac software which is 2~3 times the price.
btw sorry for the rant

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
ditto they just piss me off and talk bollocks, for cryin out load who gives a sh*t about iLife, iphoto and all the other iCrap that they've got. atleast windows has SOME 3rd party support in terms of hardware and software, and the SOME software is affordable, unlike mac software which is 2~3 times the price.
btw sorry for the rant

So I'm guessing you have much experience with the platform? If you are a student/teacher Mac software becomes surprisingly cheap. The third party support is good in many cases. Trying to get third party hardware/software to run on windows isn't necessarily seamless.

One example would be the Lexicon USB Sound studio. Mac installation directions:

Plug the device into the USB port. Mac OSX will recognize the device.

Windows:

Insert installation disk. Plug in device when prompted. Install drivers. Restart machine.

I'm afraid to know what happens next under Windows. Seems like there's always something that doesn't work right. Luckily I own a mac.

Another example would be in regards to my new HP printer. Installed like a dream on the mac. XP x64 bit the dust when I tried to install it. Not to mention that printing photos is very intuitive using iPhoto.

G

Insert installation disk. Plug in device when prompted. Install drivers. Restart machine.

No. Plain and simple. This is not true. 3 Years ago maybe....

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
the point i was trying to make was that i dont like the snidy ass adverts.
I really dont like the way they ram down your throats that Windows sucks balls and i'm a dumbass for not realizing how great Macs are. its like the Sega adverts when they were marketing the game gear.

an besides its not really fair to compare a 2~3 year old OS with one thats nearly 7 years(15 or over since its design is based on NT), and I seriously doubt was ever designed to effectively run on current gen hardware.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Err... thanks for replying with something completely off-topic... might as well bring up the Bill vs Steve debate. :roll:

(and yes, that was sarcasm)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

No. Plain and simple. This is not true. 3 Years ago maybe....
And even if it IS true, what the hell does it matter? Yeah, things are simpler when you have a dictator. However, with more freedom and flexibility comes more advanced procedures (e.g. think Linux... you can do whatever the hell you want with it and it's a super powerful OS, but it's hard to use).

Wait... I'm starting to get off-topic as well. Oops! :oops:

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
the point i was trying to make was that i dont like the snidy ass adverts.
I really dont like the way they ram down your throats that Windows sucks balls and i'm a dumbass for not realizing how great Macs are. its like the Sega adverts when they were marketing the game gear.

an besides its not really fair to compare a 2~3 year old OS with one thats nearly 7 years(15 or over since its design is based on NT), and I seriously doubt was ever designed to effectively run on current gen hardware.
Well, it's plenty fair to compare these Operating Systems, but what pisses me off is how the adds have nothing to do with the quality of the Mac OS. It's all a bunch of slamming the competition BS.

It reminds me of how politicians slam their opponents but never really say what they stand for. Their ads are always like "well, this other guy hates babies and ran over a squirrel just the other day!" but they never just say "blah blah I'm pro this, anti this, and this is what I'm about". Know what I mean? I just want facts so I can make a decision.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
BTW, I just read that article in your sig. Damn that's annoying. Warning labels on Microwaves??? Why don't parent's EVER take responsibility for their kids these days? Where was that girl's mom/dad when she was exploding the egg? ARGH!!! :evil:

</Rant>

Sorry for that off-topic rant. :lol:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Err... thanks for replying with something completely off-topic... might as well bring up the Bill vs Steve debate.

Well it's blates Steve, Bill's not as cool and 'urban chic' as Steve is he :wink:

I really think people should stop Mac-bashing on this forum, as every single Mac user here avoids blind fanboyism.

And you can't say that about the PC users here now, can you.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
BTW, I just read that article in your sig. Damn that's annoying. Warning labels on Microwaves??? Why don't parent's EVER take responsibility for their kids these days? Where was that girl's mom/dad when she was exploding the egg? ARGH!!! :evil:

</Rant>

Sorry for that off-topic rant. :lol:
naw thats cool, you should read the one about doctors wanting to ban the selling of kitchen knifes longer then 3 inches...
anyway back to my response, every topic regarding apple's eventually becomes hijacked.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Oh and RE: that article

I think it may have something to do with the fact that Mac OS is probably an easier environment for less computer-literate people (as alot of over 55s are). That and the fact that if you're 55 now, Apple I came out when you were about 25.

Although I think it probably says that in the article (I only skimmed it).

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, I have no problems with you Mesa. I think a lot of Mac users are blind fanboys exactly like lots of PC users are tho. I just thought this article was funny because it's so contrary to what people seem to think.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yeah this is what I hear from all you stateside users. I haven't experienced it ever. The only time me and my friends who have Macs get evangelistic is when one of us jokingly lords over the other's machine.

We all use them for music though, it's a tool for work - so it's what you do with it that counts rather than specs in the end. Noone pays us to have a nice computer.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I've personally witnessed two HP high end photo printers that upon plugging into a MAC OSX Platform machine, there were errors in the install.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yeah this is what I hear from all you stateside users. I haven't experienced it ever. The only time me and my friends who have Macs get evangelistic is when one of us jokingly lords over the other's machine.

We all use them for music though, it's a tool for work - so it's what you do with it that counts rather than specs in the end. Noone pays us to have a nice computer.
Well, congrats to you guys then for being sane. Yeah, I think it's important to remember: on some level, these are just tools. You just need to figure out which tool works best for you and use that one. Know what I mean?

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
My dad, uncle and I have horror stories from trying to network an iMac to a US Robotics router. It must be rebooted every time you connect to it :evil: . Macs have a decent design but they're too proprietary (and can't upgrade worth a crap).

Finally, a comic that DaSickNinja has posted before, but so funny that it bears repeating:
20060513.jpg

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
My dad, uncle and I have horror stories from trying to network an iMac to a US Robotics router. It must be rebooted every time you connect to it Evil or Very Mad . Macs have a decent design but they're too proprietary (and can't upgrade worth a crap).

I'd say the product at fault there would be the router. Provided you're using OS X I don't see any reason why you'd need to reboot every time.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
My dad, uncle and I have horror stories from trying to network an iMac to a US Robotics router. It must be rebooted every time you connect to it Evil or Very Mad . Macs have a decent design but they're too proprietary (and can't upgrade worth a crap).

I'd say the product at fault there would be the router. Provided you're using OS X I don't see any reason why you'd need to reboot every time.
Haha nice. Supporting Macs 'till the very end! ;)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
My dad, uncle and I have horror stories from trying to network an iMac to a US Robotics router. It must be rebooted every time you connect to it :evil: . Macs have a decent design but they're too proprietary (and can't upgrade worth a crap).

Finally, a comic that DaSickNinja has posted before, but so funny that it bears repeating:
20060513.jpg
Holy crap that was funny. Thanks for posting that! It made my night! :lol:

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006

I'm not saying Macs are perfect. If they were everyone would have one. It doesn't make sense to me when people are so against a certain technology. Some people seem to act as if they own massive amounts of stock in companies like Intel/AMD or Apple/Microsoft. Whatever, I own PCs and Macs and I use chips made by Intel, Apple, IBM, AMD, Nvidia, ATI, and many more. All of these items serve a specific purpose and all of them exhibit different levels of compatibility/performance for many different applications.

What I am constantly trying to do is help people understand that there are things that do work better on Macs than on PCs. If you can't admit that then you are biased and nothing you say will ever be credible to me.

Just because your favorite OS is Windows doesn't mean you couldn't like Mac OSX too and possibly even (gasp) use it for something useful.

In case anyone is still wondering:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/Product_Downloads/omega/OmegaSoftware180542B.pdf

Read both the windows installation directions and Mac installation instructions. Maybe I was a bit off. You have to plug in the device first then out comes the wizard and .. blah.. blah

Mac:

Plug in device. End of story.

kstrat2001

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I'll make this even easier for those of you running windows and having trouble with acrobat reader :roll:

OMEGA STUDIO™ FOR WINDOWS® XP USERS
A. INSTALLING THE LEXICON USB DRIVERS
You must install the USB drivers to use your Lexicon Omega’s USB connection with your computer.
Follow the directions listed in the following section to complete the installation process.
1. Start your computer. Close any open programs you have running.
2. Take your Lexicon Omega hardware out of the box and plug the power in.
3. Connect the included USB cable to your computer and to the Omega.
4. You will see multiple messages pop up from the task bar indicating that your computer has found a
new USB device. There will be multiple messages because there are four USB devices in the Omega.
When Windows displays the message “Your new hardware is installed and ready to use”, Windows has
completed identifying your new hardware. However, your software installation IS NOT complete.
5. Put the Omega Studio Software Installation disk into your computer’s CD-ROM drive. If you have
Autorun enabled, the Omega Driver Installer Setup Wizard will automatically launch. If it does not
launch automatically, you can open it by selecting Start>Run and entering D:\Omega.exe
(where D:\ is the letter of your CD-ROM drive).
6. Next, select the language that you’d like to run the installer in.
7. Continue selecting Next and choose I agree to the terms of the License Agreement.
8. Select the Omega Driver Installer Software components (Cubase LE, Pantheon Reverb Plug-In, and
Help Files) that you wish to install and click Next.
9. Choose your desired installation folder, or use the default setting and select Install.
10. You will now see the window shown below. Click Next to continue and follow the onscreen
instructions for the remainder of the installation.

OMEGA FOR MAC® USERS
The Omega hardware is designed to interface directly with your Mac computer via USB using OS X’s
Core Audio drivers. This means no separate driver installation is needed as long as your Mac system
software is 10.2.8 or greater (see Apple’s website for software update information if your system software
is 10.2.8 or earlier).

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Dude, just give it a rest. That HW is obviously made for a Mac. Who gives a $hit? It doesn't really change anything, and it's such a stupid battle that who cares? Yeah, so installing something on a Mac is easier than on Windows. Woo hoo.

You might want to check out this THG article that says exactly what I'm saying by the way:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/20/enderle_on_apple/

It's called "Analyst Opinion: Apple is not real". You might find it a good read. Oh wait, you'll just be blindly ignoring everything it has to say. :roll:

Anyway, if you want to be a troll, get the hell out of here. I think the Mac OS is fine. I use it, it's shiny, blah blah. But when it comes to more advanced things (e.g. software engineering when you want something more than FileMaker Pro :roll: ) Windows/Linux/anything else reigns supreme.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I'll make this even easier for those of you running windows and having trouble with acrobat reader :roll:
Get your stupid remarks out of this thread. Acrobat is BS anyway. Any document reader that has load times great enough that you can read the fine print on the splash screen sucks. (BTW, it takes plenty of time on Mac OS and Windows).

TRENDING THREADS