Problem upgrading Win 98 to Win 2000

While installing Win 2000 from CD, I get through Installing Components and
Performing Final Tasks (start menu, registers components, upgrade program and
system settings, save settings remove temporary files) and Install is
apparently in a loop and runs through the same procedures for hours. When I
shutdown and restart, Install asks for SP3 CD to load the file nt5inf.cat. I
load a CD with W2KSP3.exe, but it does not like that. I put nt5inf.cat on a
disk from another computer, but I get a fatal error that states Setup failed
to install product catalogs.
I am stuck, and can't bring up Windows.
I would appreciate any help to complete this installation.

Be advised that upgrades from win9x almost always fail for any number of
reasons. Save yourself some time and trouble, given that you'll more than
likely end up with an unstable OS with all the remnants/ corruption left
behind from the upgrade. Best to blow it all away and go for the clean
install.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks.
The set of four install disks can be created from your Win2k CD-rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the cd-rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lincmark" wrote:
| While installing Win 2000 from CD, I get through Installing Components
and
| Performing Final Tasks (start menu, registers components, upgrade program
and
| system settings, save settings remove temporary files) and Install is
| apparently in a loop and runs through the same procedures for hours. When
| shutdown and restart, Install asks for SP3 CD to load the file nt5inf.cat.
| load a CD with W2KSP3.exe, but it does not like that. I put nt5inf.cat on
| disk from another computer, but I get a fatal error that states Setup
failed
| to install product catalogs.
| I am stuck, and can't bring up Windows.
| I would appreciate any help to complete this installation.

Thanks for your help; it appears that I have it installed, but setup did not
prompt me for a password, and I can't log in. I tried blanks and
Administrator with a blank password, but it did not work.
How can I get in????

One of these may help.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?as_q=password&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.win2000.*&as_uauthors=mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com&as_drrb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=31&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005&num=100&as_scoring=d&hl=en