Sign in with
Your question

will xp recognise my hdd?

Last response: in Storage
December 18, 2006 6:50:46 AM

im planning on wiping my hdd and reinstalling xp again. i hav 3 hard drives, 2 with important data but i dont have the time to urn 100-sumthing dvds to backup.

if when i install xp with the two drives unplugged, then reconenct them later, will xp recognize them?

More about : recognise hdd

December 18, 2006 7:24:16 AM

Yes, unless they're SATA drives, Windows should automatically make them available to you.
December 18, 2006 7:34:56 AM

fyi, you could still keep the other hdd's connected and they would be fine. As long as you tell windows to format the correct drive and install on it, then the other two would remain untouched.
Related resources
December 18, 2006 7:48:35 AM

yeh i noe, but im paranoid that the drives wont line up in the correct order or sumthing in the xp install

i had a previous hard disk crash and the recovered data is on these 2 drives
even if you can unformat drives, the last thing i want is the wrong hdd erased tho
December 18, 2006 9:51:43 AM

that is a wise thing to do. luckily you are not working with 3 partitions on one disk...that's a whole different story.
December 18, 2006 10:46:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, unless they're SATA drives, Windows should automatically make them available to you.

And what do you mistakenly think the problem is with SATA drives?
December 18, 2006 10:57:10 AM

Quote:
i

if when i install xp with the two drives unplugged, then reconenct them later, will xp recognize them?

Yes.
December 18, 2006 11:04:05 AM

It will see them no problem. If it makes you feel better unplug the drives install windows on your new one. For somereason my roomates comp always makes his hard rive I:\ and i cant figure it out lol. But yeah my computers like to randomly pick drive letters which is annoying but you can go in later and set them.

Not really sure why sata is going to matter at all.
December 18, 2006 11:05:14 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what the problem is with these SATA drives, all I know is that it's a problem that Windows XP doesn't show them sometimes. There are several threads about this on these forums. I guess it is you who are mistaken, or perhaps too much into theory.
December 18, 2006 11:06:11 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what the problem is with these SATA drives, all I know is that it's a common problem that Windows XP doesn't show them. I guess it is you how are mistaken, or too much into theory.

There is no problem with SATA drives. XP will recognize them just fine.
December 18, 2006 11:10:02 AM

Quote:

I have no idea what the problem is with these SATA drives, all I know is that it's a common problem that Windows XP doesn't show them. I guess it is you how are mistaken, or too much into theory.

Yeah i have never had xp not detect a sata drive i have no idea what hes talking about.
December 18, 2006 11:12:16 AM

Quote:

It should, but in praxis this isn't always the case. No harm in being carefull I'd say.
December 18, 2006 11:13:47 AM

Quote:

It should, but in praxis this isn't always the case. No harm in being carefull I'd say.

Yes it is always the case. You are mistaken.
December 18, 2006 11:15:09 AM

Quote:

Yeah i have never had xp not detect a sata drive i have no idea what hes talking about.
Well it's great to learn that your decisions are solely based on your personal hardware only. I suggest you read up on some threads in different forums.
December 18, 2006 11:24:16 AM

Quote:

Yes it is always the case. You are mistaken.
It is NOT always the case but I will admit that I have been shooting somewhat in the wrong direction since it's with unformatted drives only.
December 18, 2006 11:43:18 AM

Reading threads thats always nice. Reading about how 90% of the people dont even know what thier doing mess something up im hardly surprised.

I probly have more computers and more sata drives in this house them everyone whos posted put together. Not to mention i spend all dya building repairing and upgrading systems for about 8 to 12 hours a day. I go through hundreds of systems a month and i have not ONCE seen a xp system fail to detect a sata hard drive. Nore have i ever heard of anyone having that problem and the one i do know who have had problems with thier sata not detecting was thier own damn fault for doing something that took me 10 seconds to fix.

So yeah no idea what your talking about xp will detect it just fine.

Edit: just to reinforce my statement i went to google and went through 5 pages of so called sata not working and im still not surprised 99% of them are people who really should look at a manual once and a while. only exception i found was a intel sata controler that is NOT a standard sata controler and should be considered a raid controler more or less as it would need a driver installed before a windows instalation.

Only other exceptions were of course OEM laptops and some OEM desktop that use none standard SATA controlers. Of course thats not windows XP fault since any OS would need a special driver for such adapters/controlers.
December 18, 2006 12:37:08 PM

Quote:
Reading threads thats always nice. Reading about how 90% of the people dont even know what thier doing mess something up im hardly surprised.

I probly have more computers and more sata drives in this house them everyone whos posted put together. Not to mention i spend all dya building repairing and upgrading systems for about 8 to 12 hours a day. I go through hundreds of systems a month and i have not ONCE seen a xp system fail to detect a sata hard drive. Nore have i ever heard of anyone having that problem and the one i do know who have had problems with thier sata not detecting was thier own damn fault for doing something that took me 10 seconds to fix.

So yeah no idea what your talking about xp will detect it just fine.

Edit: just to reinforce my statement i went to google and went through 5 pages of so called sata not working and im still not surprised 99% of them are people who really should look at a manual once and a while. only exception i found was a intel sata controler that is NOT a standard sata controler and should be considered a raid controler more or less as it would need a driver installed before a windows instalation.

Only other exceptions were of course OEM laptops and some OEM desktop that use none standard SATA controlers. Of course thats not windows XP fault since any OS would need a special driver for such adapters/controlers.

I hope you bothered to check my last reply? I stated that it only affects unformated drives. I can provide some threads about this very issue if I must, though, I'm pretty sure you're already familiar with it. Would also like to add that I had first hand experience with this issue.
December 18, 2006 12:39:26 PM

i saw it but i ignored it because i remembered a key fact. ALL drives come unformated. At least i have never once went to the store and got a drive that was formated.

How can i be familier with a problem i have yet to see. THrow me some threads i dont care i went though 5 pages of them im not going to look anymore.
December 18, 2006 12:52:27 PM

Mine is the same and have no problem. It should recognize. You should format the OS(main) drive before installing XP. That way you'll wipe it clean and have a good install.
December 18, 2006 1:12:57 PM

I just went through a torture experience with installing new SATA drives and trying to keep my old drive to save the data. I'd have to agree with EnFoRce22 in that allmost all of my problems were self inflicted. Here's a few things I learned:

Print out the pages of your mobo manual that describe your procedure and make sure you read and understand all the steps before you start.

If you need SATA or RAID drivers for your mobo, make sure you select the right ones. I ran around in circles for days because I was using the SATA floppy and not the SATA/RAID driver disk. My mobo also happens to have 2 separate SATA headers. One is for the VIA controller and one for a Promise controller. Make sure you're plugged into the right one for the drivers you select.

Make a list of all the rest of the mobo drivers you'll need. Things such as LAN and sound drivers should be on your mobo CD or available online.

Review your procedure before you start and make sure you know the configuration you hope to achieve.

You might want to unplug any card readers as they will show up as drives and might be assigned drive letters before your boot drive. I'm not convinced that's a problem all the time but unplugging them takes that potential barrier to success out of the equation.

Select a time when you're fresh and have the time to complete the install. There's nothing worse than being tired and frustrated or having to interrupt things half way through.

Think before you perform the steps. If you start to screw things up, problems seem to snowball. Go back and start all over if you need to.

Some of the old hands may be rolling their eyes at this and saying "Duh - ya think!" but wanted to pass along a few things this noob just learned that may not be initially obvious to those who don't do this very often.

Hope this helps.
December 18, 2006 1:26:08 PM

Quote:
Make a list of all the rest of the mobo drivers you'll need. Things such as LAN and sound drivers should be on your mobo CD or available online.

Not being picky here, it's a good idea to review the basics as often as you can. But. One might want to view sound drivers as gravy on top of a good install and one might not want to plan to find network drivers online unless one has dialup.
December 18, 2006 5:51:06 PM

Quote:
How can i be familier with a problem i have yet to see.

My mistake, I was simply assuming this after learning your vast expertise on computer hardware.

Anyway, here are some bloody examples for you naysayers:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/drive-showing-f...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/sata-problem-co...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/SATA-drivers-In...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/help-windows-wo...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Problem-SATA-dr...

Now, anyone saying something unsubstantiated like "I never heard of that.. duh" again, better wear a friggin' helmet!
December 18, 2006 6:36:13 PM

Easy:

Link 1, 2, and 5 have to do with a drive not being partitioned, they have nothing to do with what type of cable the drive uses. The same thing would happen with an ATA 100 drive

Link 3 is a question about whether or not he has to load drivers for his on-chipset SATA controller. He doesn't

Link 4, the user makes several mistakes that have nothing to do with SATA. First, he thinks the add-in and chipset controllers are the same. Second, he doesn't know to disable RAID mode for the onboard controller. Guess what? The same thing happens with ATA 100 drives on RAID-capable controllers.

So you're proving everyone's point about it not mattering whether his drives are SATA or Ultra ATA.
December 18, 2006 7:45:17 PM

Quote:
Easy:

Link 1, 2, and 5 have to do with a drive not being partitioned, they have nothing to do with what type of cable the drive uses. The same thing would happen with an ATA 100 drive

Link 3 is a question about whether or not he has to load drivers for his on-chipset SATA controller. He doesn't

Link 4, the user makes several mistakes that have nothing to do with SATA. First, he thinks the add-in and chipset controllers are the same. Second, he doesn't know to disable RAID mode for the onboard controller. Guess what? The same thing happens with ATA 100 drives on RAID-capable controllers.

So you're proving everyone's point about it not mattering whether his drives are SATA or Ultra ATA.

How in the world am I proving everyone's point, when their point is that the SATA drives will always be visible under Windows?? Infact, if they knew what you're telling here, they should have supplemented my statement, not attack it. Bottomline, don't twist the point they were trying to make.

As for your arguments, if what you say were to be true, how do you explain that so many people only have difficulty with finding the SATA drives? Shouldn't there be numerous threads about ATA drives not showing up under windows then?
December 18, 2006 11:01:00 PM

There should be, but very few people are trying to instal unpartitioned IDE drives after already having installed windows. IDE is old hat.

And post number 3 and 4 would still be unrelated, just common misunderstandings that apply to all ATA controllers (3) and RAID capable ATA controllers (4).
December 18, 2006 11:27:26 PM

Quote:
How can i be familier with a problem i have yet to see.

My mistake, I was simply assuming this after learning your vast expertise on computer hardware.

Anyway, here are some bloody examples for you naysayers:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/drive-showing-f...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/sata-problem-co...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/SATA-drivers-In...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/help-windows-wo...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Problem-SATA-dr...

Now, anyone saying something unsubstantiated like "I never heard of that.. duh" again, better wear a friggin' helmet!

ok responce time :) 

#1 well first off when in windows windows will read the drive but not show it becuase windows will only show a drive that can be written to. However formatting it would allow you to write to it. thats not windows not detecting it thats windows not showing a un usable drive no matter what kind it is sata, ide, scsi.

#2 Same thing again someone is trying to use a drive to write data on a un writable drive this is what i ment about 99% of the people who have this problem cause it them selves and should read the manual.

#3 I'm assuming the poster realised what he did wrong or realised he was using the raid controler which everyone should know requiers a driver since its not a standard sata controler.

#4 well since hes trying to use raid if he had read his manual once again he would know its a none standard sata controler and requiers a driver.

#5 reffer to #1 and #2 i dont want to write it again.

Thank you for 100% conferming my post you took more effert in proving my point then i was whilling to.
!