Video Teases Samsung's Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
old news, I saw this a couple of days ago. I was hoping for something new.

I am following GS4 closely as my wife needs an upgrade by May or June. I have a note 2. Hopefully the GS4 is a little better.

G

Corporate greed and consumer wastefulness.

Even the S2 continues to serve well as a top-end phone, capable of absolutely everything you could possibly need it to do.

And now thousands of perfectly good S2s and S3s will be tossed, less than 2 years after they were purchased, for something marginally better.

I think this is not sustainable.

cyphacipher

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2013
[citation][nom]blaaaahdisagreeallday[/nom]Corporate greed and consumer wastefulness. Even the S2 continues to serve well as a top-end phone, capable of absolutely everything you could possibly need it to do. And now thousands of perfectly good S2s and S3s will be tossed, less than 2 years after they were purchased, for something marginally better. I think this is not sustainable.[/citation]

The typical cycle of almost all computer products.

[citation][nom]blaaaahdisagreeallday[/nom]Corporate greed and consumer wastefulness. Even the S2 continues to serve well as a top-end phone, capable of absolutely everything you could possibly need it to do. And now thousands of perfectly good S2s and S3s will be tossed, less than 2 years after they were purchased, for something marginally better. I think this is not sustainable.[/citation]

i agree with you. if it aint broke, keep it

wilem_WAR246810

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009

the upgrade from gen to gen for galaxy s is actually considerable when compared to every generation of iPhone, especially when u look from 4s to 5

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]blaaaahdisagreeallday[/nom]Corporate greed and consumer wastefulness. Even the S2 continues to serve well as a top-end phone, capable of absolutely everything you could possibly need it to do. And now thousands of perfectly good S2s and S3s will be tossed, less than 2 years after they were purchased, for something marginally better. I think this is not sustainable.[/citation]yeah, completely wasteful. we should have never replaced those brick phones, crt monitors should still be on or tabletops, and candles should have never been replaced by lightbulbs.

it's called innovation.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Did you get dropped on your head when you were a baby?
Maybe best to get it checked.

ejohansson

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Any idea of the Verizon release price? Got a Droid DNA over the weekend, but might want to return it and switch to the S4.

G

How is it corporate greed when consumers are willing to consume and are not required to consume?

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
This seems like a great strategy for samsung. Lets just keep making the S2. Its good enough. Who cares about selling phones.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cyphacipher[/nom]The typical cycle of almost all computer products.[/citation]
Not really , in the past yes but since consoles change at a rate of 7 to 10 years, the games made for them usually work for a lot of old computers also, office / internet you can easily use your old Athlon64 or any dual core around. But the phone market has really gone insane, just few months ago people were pissing their pants about the latest Galaxy S3 and Iphone 5, now i see people already forgetting few months old tech and hoping for a new gadget... i`m very enthusiastic about evolution but what happens in the phone market is just pure waste, not to count that producers now make tons of various models ... which i don`t see their purpose.

Why can`t phone industry be something like car industry. 4-5 types of phones should be enough ex: BMW , 1 series , 3 series , 5th and 7th, and ocasionally have something for enthusiasts like a 6 series. But no , you got to a phone producer and you find 1231231 types, each with very to no difference at all ... wtf ?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Not really , in the past yes but since consoles change at a rate of 7 to 10 years, the games made for them usually work for a lot of old computers also, office / internet you can easily use your old Athlon64 or any dual core around. But the phone market has really gone insane, just few months ago people were pissing their pants about the latest Galaxy S3 and Iphone 5, now i see people already forgetting few months old tech and hoping for a new gadget... i`m very enthusiastic about evolution but what happens in the phone market is just pure waste, not to count that producers now make tons of various models ... which i don`t see their purpose.Why can`t phone industry be something like car industry. 4-5 types of phones should be enough ex: BMW , 1 series , 3 series , 5th and 7th, and ocasionally have something for enthusiasts like a 6 series. But no , you got to a phone producer and you find 1231231 types, each with very to no difference at all ... wtf ?[/citation]
You could not have picked a worse example than the car analogy
The 4 models for the BMWs, each will have several subentries - 5 or 6 speed gearbox, automatics, diesel, 3 door, 5 door, estate, sport, gti, convertible, left or right hand drive, media options for cd changers or ipod inputs, choice of colours and interiors - the list goes on and each of those is a fractional improvement on the previous generation - and that is from a maker that has only 4 models - now try some other car makers like Toyota or Ford

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Not really , in the past yes but since consoles change at a rate of 7 to 10 years, the games made for them usually work for a lot of old computers also, office / internet you can easily use your old Athlon64 or any dual core around. But the phone market has really gone insane, just few months ago people were pissing their pants about the latest Galaxy S3 and Iphone 5, now i see people already forgetting few months old tech and hoping for a new gadget... i`m very enthusiastic about evolution but what happens in the phone market is just pure waste, not to count that producers now make tons of various models ... which i don`t see their purpose.Why can`t phone industry be something like car industry. 4-5 types of phones should be enough ex: BMW , 1 series , 3 series , 5th and 7th, and ocasionally have something for enthusiasts like a 6 series. But no , you got to a phone producer and you find 1231231 types, each with very to no difference at all ... wtf ?[/citation]
The problem with phones, and I don't understand why it is like this til this day, is that they've become a status symbol. Everyone wants to have the latest/greatest even though the one they bought a year ago still does everything they need it to do. "You only have the S2, I've got the S3." will be replaced shortly.

I'm still rocking an HTC Magic that I picked up used from a friend. I'd like to have the newest S4, but in the end, logic and practicality win out. Personally, I can't justify getting an S4 when this HTC Magic does everything I need already.

Some people can legitimately justify the new purchase. some people THINK they can justify it, but really can't. And some people just have more money than sense. In which case, hey, it's your money, do with it what you want. And in the end, that's what it all about.

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You could not have picked a worse example than the car analogy...The 4 models for the BMWs, each will have several subentries - 5 or 6 speed gearbox, automatics, diesel, 3 door, 5 door, estate, sport, gti, convertible, left or right hand drive, media options for cd changers or ipod inputs, choice of colours and interiors - the list goes on and each of those is a fractional improvement on the previous generation - and that is from a maker that has only 4 models - now try some other car makers like Toyota or Ford[/citation]
I have to agree with you. Car industry is a bad example. BMW has series 1 3 5 6 7 x1 x3 x5 x6 z4 M. Each of these series has several options as well for example 320i sedan, 328i coupe 328i convertable ..... then other options for each model, i think bmw also owns rolls royce and they make several models of the mini cooper

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Did you get dropped on your head when you were a baby?Maybe best to get it checked.[/citation]

If he did it knocked some sense into him. You could use the same.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You could not have picked a worse example than the car analogy...The 4 models for the BMWs, each will have several subentries - 5 or 6 speed gearbox, automatics, diesel, 3 door, 5 door, estate, sport, gti, convertible, left or right hand drive, media options for cd changers or ipod inputs, choice of colours and interiors - the list goes on and each of those is a fractional improvement on the previous generation - and that is from a maker that has only 4 models - now try some other car makers like Toyota or Ford[/citation]The base ideea was for 4-5 classes of phones, a very small one for people who needs a new phone but don`t intend to spend a fortune on them and 2-3 more classes in between and finishing with top of the line product of that year, but when you go shopping you get , 3" , 3.1" , 3.2" , 3.4" , black yellow , blue , silver , rounded buttons square pants, small memory huge button , little button , round speaker etc etc ... tons of variations that are just pointless ... and in the end they pretty much end up being a rectangular screen device that you mostly use for calls and if you are a teenager prolly to spend time on FB and post pictures of your food on instagram.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Honestly, most users I know use their "smart" phones old way.
The useful "smart" thing I found in my S1 is staying connected to internet, shared contacts/calendar, IM service, email notifications. (oh, AMOLED is wonderful too, opposite to typical "oh it's oversaturated" BS, YES it is oversaturated AS WITH ALL CONSUMER CAMERAS, because, guess what, PEOPLE PREFER IT THAT WAY. If you have a DSLR compare JPEGs to RAW format images)

Android shmandroid, web browser, "apps" etc - very rarely, if there is no other option only. (mkay, there are some useful "online coupons" thing, I admit)

Bigger screen, ok.
Now why would anyone on this planet upgrade "for more cores" is beyond me.

If they'd say "oh, thing lasts twice as long on battery", I'd say "oh, good change".
But they'd need to say "it lasts 4 times as long" for me to start thinking about upgrading.
(I wonder why don't they release a device with built-in solar charger)

I still remember times when my phone could last 10+ days without re-charge, heh... =/

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.