chilli

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Hi guys,
I have finally got the cash together for a couple of SATA drives (unfortunately I could not afford raptors :( ) which should be arriving in the next day or 2.

Currently my system is running on a 250GB IDE drive which has been screaming for a re-format for the last few months. And whenever I format my PC I always format to a blank spare hard drive so that the chances of data loss is minimal (we all forget *something* when backing up prior to a reformat when not taking everything).

So what I would like to do is perform a fresh clean install of windows on the 2 new drives (in RAID1... Im going for redundancy over performance). The only reason that I have not formatted until now is because my "spare" drive died whilst in the middle of trying to do a format a few weeks ago. This is why I do it to a spare drive, I at least had the original disk to go back to!

Now having never set up a raid in a non-scsi system before, I just want to check/ask a few things to be sure I'm not going to balls the whole thing up.

I have not changed any of the default settings on my m/b (the one in my sig) with regards to sata or raid. I assume I will have to (at work atm so cant actually look at the bios atm). Is there normally a key you have to press to enter the raid utility? I'll go hunting on the gigabyte website in a min bt its always nice to get someone elses perspective etc :)

I already have the raid drivers ready on a floppy so thats all good...

Once I have completed installing windows, mobo drivers etc and got windows up to date, I woudl like to hook up my IDE drive back up to the system (of course I will install windows without it connected) so taht I can start re-arranging the data. Now will the fact that this drive will still be bootable cause me anything to worry about? or should I instead go through the process of taking all the data I need onto an external drive?
Or is it just something as simple as changing the boot order to point to the raid before the ide?

Cheers for any help :)

When you turn on your computer, and it boots up, you will see the Raid configuration utility toss some diagnostic information at you. I believe the key to enter the Raid config is TAB on your mobo. This will allow you to build the array. Once done, you will need to go into the bios and change the boot order.

You want to have "bootable addin cards" to be selected as your first bootable device. There will also be a menu for this incase you have more then one.