Cannot find server or DNS error

rg

I just ordered Rogers high speed internet. The motorola modem is plugged
into the ethernet card, however, I am unable to surf the internet. I get
CANNOT FIND SERVER OR DNS ERROR. What could be the problem??
I have Win98SE operating system on the other partition. The internet
connection works fine with Win98SE. I have problem only with Win2000
professional. I even tried log in as Administrator. Still can't surf the
internet. Appreciate your help.

Thanks / RG

From a command prompt;
ipconfig /all
and compare with what your ISP thinks you should have.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"RG" wrote:
|I just ordered Rogers high speed internet. The motorola modem is plugged
| into the ethernet card, however, I am unable to surf the internet. I get
| CANNOT FIND SERVER OR DNS ERROR. What could be the problem??
| I have Win98SE operating system on the other partition. The internet
| connection works fine with Win98SE. I have problem only with Win2000
| professional. I even tried log in as Administrator. Still can't surf the
| internet. Appreciate your help.
|
| Thanks / RG

rg

I checked ipconfig/all output with Win98Se & Win2000 Pro. They match entry
to entry against each other, yet, I am unable to connect to internet. Still
cannot find server or dns error. What could be the problem??

RG

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> From a command prompt;
> ipconfig /all
> and compare with what your ISP thinks you should have.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "RG" wrote:
> |I just ordered Rogers high speed internet. The motorola modem is plugged
> | into the ethernet card, however, I am unable to surf the internet. I get
> | CANNOT FIND SERVER OR DNS ERROR. What could be the problem??
> | I have Win98SE operating system on the other partition. The internet
> | connection works fine with Win98SE. I have problem only with Win2000
> | professional. I even tried log in as Administrator. Still can't surf the
> | internet. Appreciate your help.
> |
> | Thanks / RG

These may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q241344

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

RG wrote:

> I checked ipconfig/all output with Win98Se & Win2000 Pro. They match entry
> to entry against each other, yet, I am unable to connect to internet. Still
> cannot find server or dns error. What could be the problem??
>
> RG
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>

>>From a command prompt;
>>ipconfig /all
>>and compare with what your ISP thinks you should have.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>
>>Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>Microsoft Certified Professional
>>Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>>"RG" wrote:
>>|I just ordered Rogers high speed internet. The motorola modem is plugged
>>| into the ethernet card, however, I am unable to surf the internet. I get
>>| CANNOT FIND SERVER OR DNS ERROR. What could be the problem??
>>| I have Win98SE operating system on the other partition. The internet
>>| connection works fine with Win98SE. I have problem only with Win2000
>>| professional. I even tried log in as Administrator. Still can't surf the
>>| internet. Appreciate your help.

My guess is that you are not connected to the internet at all.
Something is wrong, maybe your modem is not configured properly, maybe
the dial-up connection is suffering too many errrors, etc. The DNS
errors are just a reflection of the underlying net connection not
working right.

Alan