Snap-in failed to inititalize - System Information Extension

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Whenever I launch admin tool Computer Management, I get an error pop up,
displaying "Snap-in failed to inititalize. Name:System Information
Extension", followed by the CLSID. Any ideas on solving this problem are
appreciated.

Regards
Gary

This article may help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297064

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gary" wrote:
| Whenever I launch admin tool Computer Management, I get an error pop up,
| displaying "Snap-in failed to inititalize. Name:System Information
| Extension", followed by the CLSID. Any ideas on solving this problem are
| appreciated.
|
| Regards
| Gary

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> This article may help you.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297064

Thanks, but I'd already tried it (sorry, I should have said...).
Trying that suggestion, after step 4, I get a repeat of the error message,
with no "remove" option that I can see.

I think I'm just missing the "hardware" section from MMC, but perhaps my
memory is playing tricks...

Do you mean Device Manager? Also check Event Viewer for errors.

--

> Do you mean Device Manager?

No, device manager is there, I think my memory is playing tricks, it's been
a while since I'd installed Win2k - am most likely thinking of the hardware
option in MSINFO,

>Also check Event Viewer for errors.

Anything in particular? There's quite a number there...

Also try msinfo32.exe

When you view the logged events in Event Viewer (double-click them in the
right-hand pane) in the upper right corner, third button down is a copy to
clipboard, then you can paste in the body of a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.