Should I put swapfile on other disk?

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I've read somewhere that if you put the windows swapfile on a different hard drive to the OS then it speeds things up.... is this neccessary when I have 2GB of RAM though?

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
if both drives are the same speed, put the temp and swap on a different partition on a different drive, no difference if you have lots of RAM, some progs need the swap to work ok, regardless the amount of RAM

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Drives are two different speeds:

Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 250GB 16MB cache;

WD Raptor 10000rpm 150GB 16 MB cache.

Does this mean I can't do it?

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
yes, you can,
but if you put the os and swap file on the raptor, you get fast reading speeds, but sometimes a "lag" when the drive is reading files and swap at the same time. but if you put the os on the raptor and the swap on the 7500rpm drive, you get slower readings from the swap file, but no lag, because it doesn't need to read other files from that drive, so you can't be sure which one is faster. maybe some one else can help you more on this.

my 2cents:
os progs and games raptor
movies/MP3-s documents,.. partition 1 on 7500rpm drive
swap and temp partition 2 on 7500 rpm drive

this way you could minimize defragmentation on the C: drive and on your swap file.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
It will still help a little. It's like having an extra hand, even if it's a slower hand it's extra :lol: Imagine slowly writing out your xmas cards while you quickly wrap the gifts.
And keep in mind that you can have more than 1 swap file.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
sure, you can have more swap files, but i shouldn't reccommend it,
i keep my swap on it's own partition, to avoid fragmentation.
(yes, i know, i hate fragmentation ;-) )

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I run Linux and avoid fragmentation almost entirely :wink:
I would do a comparison myself. Use Sandra or some other file system bench mark. Then test performance from a swap on each drive to determine max performance and go with the winner.

If you have an old hard disk, even 5400 RPM, you can use that for your swap. Just format it and partition it, and connect it to the IDE secondary channel with your DVD-RW.
Just a suggestion.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
yeah, linux rules,
i use linux but as a n00b
if you can do like, everything in windows, and starts with linux, it's hard too keep searching for the things you like to do,
example: installing new software, installing hardware,...

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I've read somewhere that if you put the windows swapfile on a different hard drive to the OS then it speeds things up.... is this neccessary when I have 2GB of RAM though?
Well it's not really 'necessary' but it's a good thing.
Windows likes a swapfile (and seems to make it bigger and bigger, no matter how much RAM).
If the swapfile is on another harddisk, then Windows and programs can run while swapfile is being accessed, simultaneously.
If everything is on 1 harddisk, it cannot.
Different partitions on the 1 harddisk will not help (beyond helping keep the pagefile defragmented).
Then test performance from a swap on each drive to determine max performance
This will indicate the faster drive, but does not factor in the requirement that the pagefile should be on a separate drive (on a separate controller) from the OS.
In other words, your swapfile on your Windows drive C:\ might test really fast. But when loading the next Oblivion level, if it wants to swap it must stop loading Oblivion momentarily, right?
Harddisk can only do one thing at a time... so with two HDs, you can beat that.
Regards

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I currently have OS and games and progs on the Raptor, and downloads on the Seagate.

So if I understand correctly, I should put the swapfile and the temp file on the Seagate.

Unfortunately I cannot test this with Sandra, because although I have the program, I cannot understand how the hell it works, or what half of it means.......

If anyone could provide instructions for how to move the files over it would be great (I can just about handle creating a partition..... what size should it be though?), but if not I shall try and find the info elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies though and Merry Christmas :wink:

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Easy - just go...
Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory
...and set 1024 min, 2048 max pagefile on the Seagate.
Note: pagefile, swap file, temp file are different terms for the same thing,
L8R

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
It's an excellent idea. I have all of my own comps, as well as most of my customers', with the swapfile (pagefile) on a used, older, second hd. No need to "test" anything.

After you get it physically set up, and recognized, format it in Disk Mngmt using NTFS. You get there through Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Mngmt.

Then, back to the Desktop, create your new pagefile as follows: right-click My Computer - Properties - Advanced tab - Performance (Settings) - Advanced tab - Virtual Memory.

Highlight your "C" hd and choose "No Paging File". Set
Highlight your "D" hd and choose Custom; setting minimum to 50 and max to 768. Set

Trust me on the settings. I've done a boatload of research on that, and they are the best compromise for all possibilities.

Then you'll be hitting Apply and/or OK all the way out to Desktop and reboot.

If you don't perform those tasks, XP will continue to use the "C" drive pagefile for everything.

BTW, XP will still create a 2mb pagefile on "C", but it will only use it during boot.

Then I set up the "purchased" defragment utility (I love Raxco's Perfect Disk) to defrag the "D" drive every boot. This will include the swapfile, and it takes about a minute. Keeps it nice and clean and efficient.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Thanks for the help.... is there any reason not to raise the upper limit of the page file?

Also I am unfamiliar with Perfect Disk, but I have Diskkeeper Pro Premium 10..... will that suffice?

Thanks again,

GSte

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
First question: it would be a rare case when you would need more than 768mb of temporary memory. But if your "D" hd is 40g or more, you can double it.

Second question: If it can do an Offline Defragment, you're good to go.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Pscowboy, would it help to do this on a partitioned drive, put the swapfiles on the d partiton?
You have to physically move the swap file off your boot disk to see a performance improvement. What you are suggesting will help keep the swap file from getting fragmented, but won't give any performance gain since the drive can't read from both partitions simultaneously.

I am wondering, is there a big advantage to setting up multiple swap files? We do that with some of our servers at work, but I wonder how it would be on a PC?

Also, I checked our swap file partitions and they can't be defragmented. Under disk defragmentor the estimate image shows everything is green - unmovable files. Are you sure you can defrag a swap file, pscowboy??

thelostchild

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Highlight your "D" hd and choose Custom; setting minimum to 50 and max to 768. Set
just wondering, why not have the lower limit the same as the upperlimit4?, I thought having a constant sized pagefile almost eliminated it being fragmented anyway

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
AGAIN, I've done the research!

MS engineers, authoring articles, have laid out those parameters as the best solution, covering virtually all need possibilities, with the least amount of stress on the hd.

50 - 768

scj

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2005
Pscowboy, would it help to do this on a partitioned drive, put the swapfiles on the d partiton?
You have to physically move the swap file off your boot disk to see a performance improvement. What you are suggesting will help keep the swap file from getting fragmented, but won't give any performance gain since the drive can't read from both partitions simultaneously.

I am wondering, is there a big advantage to setting up multiple swap files? We do that with some of our servers at work, but I wonder how it would be on a PC?

Also, I checked our swap file partitions and they can't be defragmented. Under disk defragmentor the estimate image shows everything is green - unmovable files. Are you sure you can defrag a swap file, pscowboy??
well id better put on my data movin' gloves :p

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
PageDefrag:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/PageDefrag.mspx
...will defrag all kinds of 'un-defragmentable' files, at startup.
50-768 Trust me on the settings...they are the best compromise for all possibilities.
LoL - uh huh :lol:
With 2GB RAM I would select 1024(min) 2048(max); with 1GB RAM I would select maybe 768(min) 1536(max).
The theory is, you require a large existing contigious swapspace, so Windows does not have to create it when it is required.
If you select 50MB(min) you basically do not have a swapfile, and so when required it must first be created, which will slow you down...
Don't tell computer engineers to 'trust me' in justification of bad advice, heheh - it won't fly! (no offense).
So why then does Vista create 2048(min) 3072(max) when 50MB is the hot setup...?
Anyway, the key thing is to move the swap to another HD on its own controller - not a different partition (or even another HD, if it is on the same IDE controller).
SATA is a big help with this, and in speeding-up the HD experience in general, since there are no slaves.
Regards

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
ON your regular PC I don't really think you will notice much of an improvement as you would on a Server OS.

Keeping your swap on a 2nd disk is a very good idea no matter how fast the drive is. If you can have it on a 2nd channel all together that would be even better.

gipctech1974

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm not sure where you are getting your information but I work in the IT field for the local government and we have been told by Microsoft whom we are an enterprise customer with to always put the page file on a seperate partition, or a different physical drive(better option), and to set the min and max sizes to 1.5-2 times more than the amount of system memory and that both sizes the be equal.....ex.....you have 2 GB of memory, set your page file to 4096-4096.