8800 GTX/DX10 upgrade questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prkchpsndwiches

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I have a P5N32-SLi mobo, C2D E6700 and am looking to upgrade to an 8800 gtx. I have a PC Power and cooling 750 silencer power supply. Is there anything that would prevent me from doing this, or anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks!!

on a side note. I just picket up that card and it works fine with my Antec 550watt psu (50 bucks now at Compusa).

It pulls 2,000 fps in the game I play most..... which gives me an advantage, though I don’t know what yet, since it lags the entire server.

Also Oblivion plays very well @ 1600x1200 inside and out... no lag what so ever, and all graphics turned up.

8800gtx is awesome. I purchased it w/o mail in rebates at compusa (evga) for $450 + $45 1 year warranty. Compusa's policy is: If during the warranty period, if the card becomes damaged you can:
1.) Get a full refund minus the warranty
2.) Exchange it for another card in equal pricing range.

The card was $599 - $50 holiday discount special, and $100 sale discount. Couldn’t be happier.

AGP 6800gt. I play sof2 (quake 3 basicly).

Oblivion did not run on this card... though it runs fine at reduced image quality on a 6600oc.

I can maintain 150fps on CD2 at max settings 1600x1200...
but it cracks me up i can uncap my FPS and watch it hit 2,000fps in Solider of fortune 2.

Prkchpsndwiches

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
2k fps lol nice....yeah CD2 is a tough cookie...I have a 7900 GTX now and everything plays fine on it, but I just can't go without DX10. It looks incredible!

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
omg you are such a lying a$$hole. the only 8800gtx that compusa offers is the BFG for 649.99. LINK

150fps in cd2? yeah, doubt it.

and what antec 550 watt power supply that costs 50 dollars are you running your gtx off of? give the full name. heres a link to all of the antec power supplies that compusa offers ... LINK. the cheapest one is 45 dollars and is a 300 watt. the cheapest antec 550 watt ps is 130.

comp usa does NOT carry evga cards. make sure that when you lie, you lie well. one of my best friends works at compusa. lets be serious now. you did not lie very well at all. and dont try to say that you got the power supply as an open box item cuz they only do 15% off on open box items. 130 - 15% does not equal 50 dollars. never has. never will.

2000 fps in sof2? how about a screen shot with fraps running so we can see for ourselves. i highly doubt that you get such a high frame rate, considering not even a week ago you said that all games are capped at 30 fps. and while you're at it, keep fraps running and snap a screen shot of cd2 and show us that too. and dont try to doctor the pic.

mpjesse

Splendid
You are full of crap. You and I live in the same town and there's only ONE CompUSA. I was just in there over the weekend and there wasn't even a 8800GTX or GTS on the shelf. Furthermore, CompUSA would be selling that card at a huge loss if it was $450. I think you mean the GTS... but regardless CompUSA isn't selling 8800 series in stores... at least not in ABQ. And the card is listed at $499 on their site. 8800 GTX is $649.

Proof:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=srch1&Ntt=8800+GTS&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Ne=303923&Nty=1&D=8800+GTS&Ntk=All&product_code=343353

Oh and your 550W Antec is $130.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=antec+550&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Ne=303923&Nty=1&D=antec+550&Ntk=All&product_code=342178&Pn=TruePower_Trio_550_Power_Supply

And before you cite "sunday morning fliers" BS, I read their flyer every sunday. there was NO such discount on either of those items.

you're nuts buddy. show me a receipt and i'll believe you.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
back to the OP the only thing that could hold you back would be your case as the GTX's are very Big but if you have a decent sized case it shouldnt bew a problem

LOL...

Actuay, its BFG, same as Bestbuy. (hay im workin and typing)

The card was on special like I said, +$50 gift certificate = $450.

I do have a screenshot of me getting 2000 fps. The game bounces back and forth between 1333fps and 2000fps and was planing on uploading the image to sof2files.com.

Edit: note... this can only be achieved in non-internet servers as the servers cant send you that much information at once. The game locks up around 667fps. If you load a multiplayer map on your own, you can achieve the card's full potential

And I'll take a SS of CoD2 if you want. ... though I dont really want to use photobucket.... Ah well...

The powersupply is: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=342178&Pn=TruePower_Trio_550_Power_Supply

Its $30 instant rebate + $45 mail in rebate making about $50 bucks.
I know your in the same town MpJesse :)

If you want to buy me lunch, I will bring the recept. Otherwise... chill :).

And before you cite "sunday morning fliers" BS, I read their flyer every sunday. there was NO such discount on either of those items.

I do too cause I dont buy online, so I got to be timely. I purchased all my parts about about 10% above Newegg, which isnt bad (works to about $10 bucks more)

Locally: e6600 $330
oZC 2gig 55510 : $150
2x 500gb maxtors : $169 (each)
GB S3 mobo: $149
BFG 8800 $449.99 (plus 1 year free product upgrade)
------------------------------>

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
with the system you have there is NO WAY that an antec power trio will run your computer efficiently. the video card by itself can use up to 22 amps (264 watts). that is half of your total power supply. either you're retarded or you are lying about what video card you have. maybe you are just lying in general about your entire rig.

when did you buy the "bfg" "evga" 8800gtx? give me the exact date so i can see if you are lying or not.

Exact date? Rofl. If Jesse wants to meet up, he can vouch for me.
And I picked them up friday. ....

And your kidding right about the PSU. I hope so.

3hd's
sound blaster Xifi
DVDR/W x2
e6600
2gb ddir2
(adding a second video card, PCI Ati 7500)
-------> Plenty of free watts.
At full load I hit ~420watts. The PSU has 36amps.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
LambofGod doesnt know what the **** he's talking about, that Antec is plenty, i use a PC power and cooling 750 and i have plenty of room to spare on power originally i had an enermax 1000W but that piece of XXXX burned out about a month after i bought it while that was out i used this cheap 500 Watt PSU i have and it ran all my stuff fine and i have:

2 Raptors
eVGA 680i
eVGA 8800GTX
C2D 6600 @3.2
X-FI Platinum
2 DVD burners
a 100 dollar keyboard
a 50 dollar mouse
a 15 dollar joystick
like 30 billion fans

now i use a PC power and cooling 750 Watt PSU, its orange. and it works good

Well frankly, I find our relationship funny, in a stupid middle-school kinda way.

Ya I know its a great PSU and plenty of power. I happen to own a computer company (and though that doesn't prove I know what I am doing, god knows there are places here where I am thats worse then BB) and have been building machines for 14 years.

There is an entire PSU section as well as plenty of calculators out there that will help any new person decide which PSU they need, and how much should they should plan for the future.

And I re-read the beginning of this post and I did say GTX, I purchased a GTS, which I have said in every other section of this website. Though, I was still told that CompUSA does not have either.

Anyway, the offer still stands. Surely your not timid about a 22 year old college student.... And would be nice to meet you Jesse.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
What are you using to report 2,000 FPS? I imagine your FPS counter is built into the game. I use FRAPS and the highest I've seen it report to is 999.

I know how it is posting at work, but man you got to get your 88's straight!

Ya, the built in FPS counter (i.e. cg_drawfps 1).

Jumps from 1333fps to 2000fps. I dont really care if its not accurate, but in the game, everyone uses that method, and thats what I use.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I would try running it with FRAPS to see what it reports. There's no gaurantee that the in game counter is reporting correctly either. It might be an interesting experiment to see them both in action. I wonder if I still got that game sitting around somewhere.

I know fraps is accurate up to 200 fps (never seen higher) as our gaming league players uses the program while recording their game for inspection.

As for 2,000 fps, Ya it would be interesting to know if its acurate. Does fraps record the lowest / highest fps? I myself have never bothered with it.

I hope you guys are about 10 years old... or from some boring country. You guys dont see those as blatent jokes, but you do provide the threads with fun complaints and whining. Keep it up cause its worth it.

Hurray. Fast response. Are you going to keep it up cause your comments are really worthless, and its not nice to hijack a thread...... well, actually this tread is kinda off topic, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Considering your the only one posting spam about me, I would hardly call this worth while. Stop making these threads annoying, .... though humorous your posts are, they do not help the discussion.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hope you're not moving that computer around lol.

Also, how in the world are you mounting those fans under the graphics card and what do they actually do? (pull in cold air or push out hot air and where does it actually get the air)

Other than that, the inside looks a lot neater than mine :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.