Sign in with
Your question
Closed

8800 GTX/DX10 upgrade questions...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2006 12:44:50 PM

I have a P5N32-SLi mobo, C2D E6700 and am looking to upgrade to an 8800 gtx. I have a PC Power and cooling 750 silencer power supply. Is there anything that would prevent me from doing this, or anything else I am overlooking?

Thanks!!
December 18, 2006 1:00:47 PM

That should work just fine.
December 18, 2006 1:42:06 PM

on a side note. I just picket up that card and it works fine with my Antec 550watt psu (50 bucks now at Compusa).

It pulls 2,000 fps in the game I play most..... which gives me an advantage, though I don’t know what yet, since it lags the entire server.

Also Oblivion plays very well @ 1600x1200 inside and out... no lag what so ever, and all graphics turned up.

8800gtx is awesome. I purchased it w/o mail in rebates at compusa (evga) for $450 + $45 1 year warranty. Compusa's policy is: If during the warranty period, if the card becomes damaged you can:
1.) Get a full refund minus the warranty
2.) Exchange it for another card in equal pricing range.

The card was $599 - $50 holiday discount special, and $100 sale discount. Couldn’t be happier.
Related resources
December 18, 2006 4:00:52 PM

^^^ What card did you upgrade from?
December 18, 2006 4:06:35 PM

AGP 6800gt. I play sof2 (quake 3 basicly).

Oblivion did not run on this card... though it runs fine at reduced image quality on a 6600oc.

I can maintain 150fps on CD2 at max settings 1600x1200...
but it cracks me up i can uncap my FPS and watch it hit 2,000fps in Solider of fortune 2.
December 18, 2006 5:13:44 PM

2k fps lol nice....yeah CD2 is a tough cookie...I have a 7900 GTX now and everything plays fine on it, but I just can't go without DX10. It looks incredible!
December 18, 2006 6:10:18 PM

omg you are such a lying a$$hole. the only 8800gtx that compusa offers is the BFG for 649.99. LINK

150fps in cd2? yeah, doubt it.

and what antec 550 watt power supply that costs 50 dollars are you running your gtx off of? give the full name. heres a link to all of the antec power supplies that compusa offers ... LINK. the cheapest one is 45 dollars and is a 300 watt. the cheapest antec 550 watt ps is 130.

comp usa does NOT carry evga cards. make sure that when you lie, you lie well. one of my best friends works at compusa. lets be serious now. you did not lie very well at all. and dont try to say that you got the power supply as an open box item cuz they only do 15% off on open box items. 130 - 15% does not equal 50 dollars. never has. never will.

2000 fps in sof2? how about a screen shot with fraps running so we can see for ourselves. i highly doubt that you get such a high frame rate, considering not even a week ago you said that all games are capped at 30 fps. and while you're at it, keep fraps running and snap a screen shot of cd2 and show us that too. and dont try to doctor the pic.
December 18, 2006 7:52:35 PM

You are full of crap. You and I live in the same town and there's only ONE CompUSA. I was just in there over the weekend and there wasn't even a 8800GTX or GTS on the shelf. Furthermore, CompUSA would be selling that card at a huge loss if it was $450. I think you mean the GTS... but regardless CompUSA isn't selling 8800 series in stores... at least not in ABQ. And the card is listed at $499 on their site. 8800 GTX is $649.

Proof:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=sr...

Oh and your 550W Antec is $130.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SE...

And before you cite "sunday morning fliers" BS, I read their flyer every sunday. there was NO such discount on either of those items.

you're nuts buddy. show me a receipt and i'll believe you.
December 18, 2006 8:14:28 PM

back to the OP the only thing that could hold you back would be your case as the GTX's are very Big but if you have a decent sized case it shouldnt bew a problem
December 18, 2006 9:00:47 PM

LOL...

Actuay, its BFG, same as Bestbuy. (hay im workin and typing)

The card was on special like I said, +$50 gift certificate = $450.

I do have a screenshot of me getting 2000 fps. The game bounces back and forth between 1333fps and 2000fps and was planing on uploading the image to sof2files.com.

Edit: note... this can only be achieved in non-internet servers as the servers cant send you that much information at once. The game locks up around 667fps. If you load a multiplayer map on your own, you can achieve the card's full potential

And I'll take a SS of CoD2 if you want. ... though I dont really want to use photobucket.... Ah well...

The powersupply is: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=ca...

Its $30 instant rebate + $45 mail in rebate making about $50 bucks.
I know your in the same town MpJesse :) 

If you want to buy me lunch, I will bring the recept. Otherwise... chill :) .
December 18, 2006 9:08:23 PM

Quote:
And before you cite "sunday morning fliers" BS, I read their flyer every sunday. there was NO such discount on either of those items.

I do too cause I dont buy online, so I got to be timely. I purchased all my parts about about 10% above Newegg, which isnt bad (works to about $10 bucks more)

Locally: e6600 $330
oZC 2gig 55510 : $150
2x 500gb maxtors : $169 (each)
GB S3 mobo: $149
BFG 8800 $449.99 (plus 1 year free product upgrade)
------------------------------>
December 19, 2006 5:03:56 AM

why don't you buy online?
December 19, 2006 6:31:40 AM

with the system you have there is NO WAY that an antec power trio will run your computer efficiently. the video card by itself can use up to 22 amps (264 watts). that is half of your total power supply. either you're retarded or you are lying about what video card you have. maybe you are just lying in general about your entire rig.

when did you buy the "bfg" "evga" 8800gtx? give me the exact date so i can see if you are lying or not.
December 19, 2006 12:37:43 PM

Exact date? Rofl. If Jesse wants to meet up, he can vouch for me.
And I picked them up friday. ....

And your kidding right about the PSU. I hope so.

3hd's
sound blaster Xifi
DVDR/W x2
e6600
2gb ddir2
(adding a second video card, PCI Ati 7500)
-------> Plenty of free watts.
At full load I hit ~420watts. The PSU has 36amps.
December 21, 2006 12:39:00 AM

LambofGod doesnt know what the **** he's talking about, that Antec is plenty, i use a PC power and cooling 750 and i have plenty of room to spare on power originally i had an enermax 1000W but that piece of XXXX burned out about a month after i bought it while that was out i used this cheap 500 Watt PSU i have and it ran all my stuff fine and i have:

2 Raptors
eVGA 680i
eVGA 8800GTX
C2D 6600 @3.2
X-FI Platinum
2 DVD burners
a 100 dollar keyboard
a 50 dollar mouse
a 15 dollar joystick
like 30 billion fans

now i use a PC power and cooling 750 Watt PSU, its orange. and it works good
December 21, 2006 12:56:14 AM

Well frankly, I find our relationship funny, in a stupid middle-school kinda way.

Ya I know its a great PSU and plenty of power. I happen to own a computer company (and though that doesn't prove I know what I am doing, god knows there are places here where I am thats worse then BB) and have been building machines for 14 years.

There is an entire PSU section as well as plenty of calculators out there that will help any new person decide which PSU they need, and how much should they should plan for the future.

And I re-read the beginning of this post and I did say GTX, I purchased a GTS, which I have said in every other section of this website. Though, I was still told that CompUSA does not have either.

Anyway, the offer still stands. Surely your not timid about a 22 year old college student.... And would be nice to meet you Jesse.
December 21, 2006 2:01:30 AM

What are you using to report 2,000 FPS? I imagine your FPS counter is built into the game. I use FRAPS and the highest I've seen it report to is 999.

I know how it is posting at work, but man you got to get your 88's straight!
December 21, 2006 2:33:05 AM

Ya, the built in FPS counter (i.e. cg_drawfps 1).

Jumps from 1333fps to 2000fps. I dont really care if its not accurate, but in the game, everyone uses that method, and thats what I use.
December 21, 2006 3:07:58 AM

I would try running it with FRAPS to see what it reports. There's no gaurantee that the in game counter is reporting correctly either. It might be an interesting experiment to see them both in action. I wonder if I still got that game sitting around somewhere.
December 21, 2006 12:52:32 PM

I know fraps is accurate up to 200 fps (never seen higher) as our gaming league players uses the program while recording their game for inspection.

As for 2,000 fps, Ya it would be interesting to know if its acurate. Does fraps record the lowest / highest fps? I myself have never bothered with it.
December 21, 2006 2:07:40 PM

I hope you guys are about 10 years old... or from some boring country. You guys dont see those as blatent jokes, but you do provide the threads with fun complaints and whining. Keep it up cause its worth it.
December 21, 2006 2:29:27 PM

Hurray. Fast response. Are you going to keep it up cause your comments are really worthless, and its not nice to hijack a thread...... well, actually this tread is kinda off topic, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Considering your the only one posting spam about me, I would hardly call this worth while. Stop making these threads annoying, .... though humorous your posts are, they do not help the discussion.
December 21, 2006 2:32:03 PM

Quote:
Pics Of COD2 coming up 8)

You are not important enough to send anything too.
Oh ya, there is an ignore button, which I just clicked, I suggest you do the same, unless you want to annoy everyone here.

/ignore
December 21, 2006 4:05:56 PM

Hope you're not moving that computer around lol.

Also, how in the world are you mounting those fans under the graphics card and what do they actually do? (pull in cold air or push out hot air and where does it actually get the air)

Other than that, the inside looks a lot neater than mine :tongue:
December 21, 2006 4:48:53 PM

Is that your sound card on the bottom? LOL
December 21, 2006 7:13:47 PM

Quote:

Followed this link from the CPU forum, and damn are those nice. The one of the undergrowth reminds me of a hiking trip into a forest I did when I was younger. Except for the stone works, those screen shots look damn close to a scale model of reality.
December 21, 2006 8:33:57 PM

No problem.

Took a look at the CoD2 screens, and I can't say they're as impressive. Might be your monitor is brighter, but those pictures seem too dark.

Oh yeah, HOLY SHIT is that CPU cooling device huge. Looks like some mechanical alien turd to send molecules/atoms of a certain kinetic level to another dimension or something. Bet it does its job very well.
December 21, 2006 9:30:58 PM

Quote:
Right now im playing around with diff frequencies on my CPU so I do not have any certain overclock set in stone just yet but I have had this chip at 3.7ghz so far with 1.45vcore and idle temps were 35 on 1 core and 36 on the other. Load temps were 58 on 1 core and 59 on the other 8)

I will take some more COD2 screenies later on some brighter levels that will make you go 8O

I look forward to seeing those.

And those temps, at that level, seem reasonable enough. For my dated rig if it hits above fifty degrees C I start to worry. At load for yours, I wish it long life, certainly seems to be put to good use. Impressing we po' folk. :lol: 
December 21, 2006 10:40:19 PM

RobsX2

Your making me want to swap out my Scythe for the Tuniq Tower 120.. It's a good thing it'd take some work to find one in stock and I feel lazy.

Still the Scyth is a very efficient cooler able to hit some stable high speeds and cool temps.
December 21, 2006 10:44:46 PM

Quote:
Those load temps are measured using dual instances of Prime 95 so it never even actually gets to that temp at any other time. Usually a few hours of gaming will bring it to only 45c or so.

I might have to do the COD2 pics tomorrow for you, been drinking some wine with dinner so im kinda seeing double right now as my tolerance for alcohol is pretty much zilch! :lol: 

24/7 95% of the week my CPU is at load, so decent cooling is a must. Need that new computer soon, I don't think the fan on this rig will hold in the heat when summer rolls around.

The best time I've ever had with first person shooters was while drinking a forty of Schlitz. I just kinda ran around laughing like mad, and making fun of those that I fragged. :lol:  Good times.
December 21, 2006 11:32:19 PM

Quote:
A forty of Schlitz? I would have been in a coma after that :lol: 

Getting ready to fire up so BF2 and F with some people :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

One forty isn't too much. I spent a day with a homeless guy named Geronimo. He went through five forties (and a few other things) during the course of the day. Passed out once, and kept having to pee.

BF2, now there's the spirit. With luck in three to four months I'll finally have a system capable of playing that game.
December 22, 2006 3:00:29 AM

Quote:

BF2, now there's the spirit. With luck in three to four months I'll finally have a system capable of playing that game.

Dude you make me feel bad :cry: 

You know, I don't think I've ever had someone say that to me, and I'm not quite sure why you are now. Side affect of the wine?
December 22, 2006 3:04:43 AM

he sad cuz your system's so dated
December 22, 2006 3:17:50 AM

Well, nothing much to worry about. Looks like I might be able to afford a Core2 compatible build through Dell come tax rebate time. So when that $120 E4xxx comes out, all I'll need is a graphics card. So no worries, all will be better soon.
December 22, 2006 4:06:55 AM

Be sure the 8800GTX will fit in your case... they are big
December 22, 2006 12:04:17 PM

But no, seriously, kudos to you for lasting so long on that! My friend had his retired in 2003, but he had since like 1999, 2000. Say, what year is again? About to be 2007???

Jeez! LOL! Talk about making a computer worth every penny! :tongue:
December 22, 2006 12:54:20 PM

If I were you, I'd get some metal wires or something and tie hooks from the top of the case to the CPU cooler. With the fan, I read it weighs a little over 900 grams! 8O

And I thought the Scythe Ninja was bad (only weighs around 700 grams with fan)

That'd suck if you were going to a LAN party and the CPU cooler snap the mobo and fell on top of your graphics card!

Bonfire anyone? Don't forget the marshmallows :tongue:

Anyone catch that thread about the guy raving about how nVidia lied about Vista support from this card?

Well, good thing he's on the forums. Seems he could use some mentors :tongue:
December 22, 2006 4:11:28 PM

Quote:
But no, seriously, kudos to you for lasting so long on that! My friend had his retired in 2003, but he had since like 1999, 2000. Say, what year is again? About to be 2007???

Jeez! LOL! Talk about making a computer worth every penny! :tongue:

Awe, looks like I'm going to be giving away secrets. This rig, all told, has cost me about $800.

[useless history]Started with:
PIII 733 mhz
256 megs of ram
40 gig hard drive
Win 98
Bought: Early 2005 :p 
Cost: $220

First thing that went was the hard drive, crashed a month or two after I bought the computer. Got another 40 gig hard drive, had it installed at the place I bought the original set-up.

Don't remember which route I took to upgrade things, but from the base:

-Another 256 megs of RAM, maxing it out.
-Switched to the PIII 933 mhz model, maxing the stock CPU speed.
-Added the MX 4000 nVidia card. Framerates went from 12-15 to 25-30. 80 I was so happy.
-Tried to build an AMD machine, failed. Got a 100 gig hard drive out of the deal.
-Spent $95 to buy WinXP Home
-Tried to build a P4 machine, failed.
-Switched out (meaning the IDE cable was unplugged, never could get the power cable out of the 40 gig hard drive) the old hard drive, put in the new one, loaded WinXP, been content ever since.

All told about $800 between going into the computer shop for repairs, and buying hard ware between there, eBay, and Newegg.

And it still can kick it against computers "more powerful" then it. :tongue:[/useless history]

I like sharing my story. In all seriousness though, it just reminds me of where my strengths lie when it comes to building a computer up. Research, research, research.
December 22, 2006 4:53:38 PM

If you want, I can help you build a computer and ship it to you when it's done :D 

Won't even charge anything (as long as you pay shipping/handling for parts as well as leaving my place to go to where ever you live).

It's sad that my computer days started with a Pentium 133MHz, 8MB Video Card, Sound Blaster Live 16-bit, 2 Gigabyte Hard Drive, and a whopping 128MB of SDRAM!!! (Christmas 1996? whenever the Nintendo 64 came out)

And hey, I'm only 21. I know there are some of you who are going to bust out the commodore64 and further back. Trust me, I know! My dad still has his old computers in the attic! I'm talking about the 1 MHz machine (I think it was. I just know it's as big as my Antec P180B and has the 5 1/2 inch floppy disk)
December 22, 2006 4:58:26 PM

Which 8mb vid card did you have?
My first real AGP card was the Banchee Blaster 16mb... Great card, kicked ass in Decent 2, and Freespace.

At my desk, I have a 2mb VLB card, was stellar in its days... I wish they would bring back that slot.
December 22, 2006 5:02:31 PM

I think it was a Voodoo card. It used similar technology of crossfire where one AGP slot was used and than another slot and they both were connected by an external cord. That is, if I remember correctly. This was 11 years ago! LOL! I've swapped parts of that computer, so I don't know where it is now :(  Right now, it has a Diamond (ATI?) card in it with 8MB I think? *shudders*
December 22, 2006 5:19:52 PM

Quote:
If you want, I can help you build a computer and ship it to you when it's done :D 

Thanks, but no thanks. That'd take all the fun out of it for me.

Quote:
Won't even charge anything (as long as you pay shipping/handling for parts as well as leaving my place to go to where ever you live).

I don't think I want you coming to my house. Mother said to never let strangers in... wait a minute, don't think she ever actually said that. Still, no thanks.

Quote:
It's sad that my computer days started with a Pentium 133MHz, 8MB Video Card, Sound Blaster Live 16-bit, 2 Gigabyte Hard Drive, and a whopping 128MB of SDRAM!!! (Christmas 1996? whenever the Nintendo 64 came out)

Man, that computer kicked it against my first computer. It wasn't even a Pentium at that point, just 50 mhz, about 1.5 or less megs of RAM, and a one gig hard drive. Think it cost around $2,000 in 1992. Windows 3.11 was awesome. I loved having a computer that was more stable and usable then the Macintosh's at my school. Still have that computer, actually. Just need to remember the password for it.
December 22, 2006 5:48:23 PM

Ya those voodoo cards were not bad, untill voodoo 5 that is. I cant remember who made my voodoo 3 3000, but I remember the box. I wish I could find a lot of that old tech still in the original package... I would kill for a 486dx2 upgrade chip still sealed.
December 22, 2006 5:49:34 PM

Quote:

I don't think I want you coming to my house. Mother said to never let strangers in... wait a minute, don't think she ever actually said that. Still, no thanks.

I was going to ship it lol!
December 22, 2006 5:51:52 PM

Hay, I will build you a computer... Just fly out to my dungon, ... ur.. mot.... um.... Street corner... and I will help you ste.... ro... build it.
December 22, 2006 5:57:49 PM

Quote:

I was going to ship it lol!

Quote:
as well as leaving my place to go to where ever you live

:razz:

Comptia,

"What in the sphincter of hell are you getting at?"

:lol: 

I understood well enough.
December 22, 2006 6:05:16 PM

I was referring to the package. Sorry for the confusion :oops:  I don't like going to other people's houses, so no worries.

My comfort zone is in my room, behind my desk, in front of my computer monitor :D 

Anywhere else... give me a straight jacket :tongue:
December 22, 2006 6:07:30 PM

Ah, that explains it then. Thanks. :lol: 
December 23, 2006 5:46:22 AM

hey, go FU=K yourself. how about that.

comptia rep is a noob troll that talks out of his ass.
the guy that i just responded to is a dumass of comptia rep proportions.

Quote:
2 Raptors

ok....

Quote:
eVGA 680i

ok...

Quote:
eVGA 8800GTX

evga powns your soul

Quote:
C2D 6600 @3.2

nice processor

Quote:
X-FI Platinum

yeah, i have one too

Quote:
2 DVD burners

congrats....do you want a cookie?

Quote:
a 100 dollar keyboard

really? who cares how much you spent on it. i have a Logitech G15...what do you have?

Quote:
a 50 dollar mouse

again, who cares how much you spent. i have a logitech mx1000? and you?

Quote:
a 15 dollar joystick

i have a saitek x45, a gravis gamepad pro, and a logitech momo racing wheel.

Quote:
like 30 billion fans

yeah, sure. i have 7, 120mm thunderblades, one 80mm top fan, and an aerocool extreme turbine. wanna see pics?

oh and i was running my system off of a 500 watt and it was choking, so im pretty sure if comptia's system exists, it is too. especially wtih an 8800gtx. mabie not by much, but it is.
!