Is it advisable to load three operating systems on diff dr..

hi,
I wanted to load three opeerating systems on my system on single
machine on differnt drives. I have already loaded Windows98 and windows 2000
server, now i want to load windows professional too on my system. Is it
possible...Do i need to take any precautions for it. Just let me know is it
advisable...if its possible them do let me know the precautions to be taken.

Thanks
Rama
3 answers Last reply
More about advisable load operating systems diff

    Ram wrote:
    > hi,
    > I wanted to load three opeerating systems on my system on single
    > machine on differnt drives. I have already loaded Windows98 and windows 2000
    > server, now i want to load windows professional too on my system. Is it
    > possible...Do i need to take any precautions for it. Just let me know is it
    > advisable...if its possible them do let me know the precautions to be taken.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rama

    It's both possible and easily done.

    The simplest way I've found to multi-boot between Win9x/Me, Win2K &
    WinXP would be to partition your drive roughly as follows:

    Primary Partition:
    C: FAT32 Win9x

    Extended Partition:

    1st Logical Drive D: NTFS Win2K
    2nd Logical Drive E: NTFS WinXP

    Adjust the partition sizes according to your actual hard drive(s)
    size and the amount of space you'd like to allocate to each OS and its
    applications.

    Create the partitions using Win9x's FDISK so you can enable large
    disk support (FAT32). (No need for 3rd party partitioning
    utilities/boot managers and their occasional complications.) You need
    only format the Win9x partition at this time, the Win2K/XP installations
    can format their own respective partitions as part of their setup routines.

    Install Win9x first, being sure to select "C:\Windows" when asked
    for the default Windows directory. When you subsequently install
    Win2K/XP, be sure to specify "D:\Winnt" and E:\Windows," as
    preferred/applicable) when asked for the default Windows directory, to
    place them on the other partitions. The Win2K/XP installation routines
    will automatically set up the Multi-boot menu for you. The default
    settings for this menu can be readily edited from within Win2K/XP.

    This method can be adapted to using 2 physical hard drives by
    placing the boot partition (C:, which still must be FAT32) and either of
    the operating systems on the Primary Master hard drive, and the second
    and/or third operating system(s) on the second hard drive. Just remember
    to keep each OS in its own partition.

    It is also possible to have a 4th partition for shared
    applications, but it would be necessary for such a partition to be
    formatted in the common file format (FAT32). The applications would
    also have to be installed into each OS (to ensure proper system file
    placement and registry updates), one at a time, but the bulk of the
    program files could be located on this common partition. I do not,
    however, actually recommend doing this as, if you were to uninstall such
    an application from one OS, you may not be able to gracefully uninstall
    it from the second/third OS, having already deleted crucial installation
    data during the first uninstall action.

    Just about everything you need to know (URLs may wrap):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gettingstarted/multiboot.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Bruce,
    Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion and
    solution.

    Ram

    Ram wrote:
    > Hi Bruce,
    > Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion and
    > solution.
    >
    > Ram
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    You're welcome.