Anyone have these Half Life Problems??

G

For several months I have had very bad HL problems. This may get long so bear with me. About half the time I try to play something based on HL(Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, any mod) I get a blue screen with a message about a fatal error in some memory address at VxD VMM(+) or somthing similar. The numbers are always different btw. Sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del out to my desktop. Sometimes I can't and have to reboot the hard way. SOMETIMES I dont get the blue screen but just a black screen. Either way, nothing seems to fix the problem except time. If I manage to reboot safely and try to play CS again, I get an error saying I need directx 6 or greater installed. Like I said, this happens only after I have already recieved the blue screen and rebooted. And like I said, the only thing that fixes this is time with the pc off.

This error occurs about half the time I try to play. The rest of the time I have no problems booting up HL or any mod. And this error only seems to happen with HL mods. I have reinstalled everything. I have even reformatted my HD twice. This problem happened with new drivers and old drivers and a new vid card(hercules geforce2 mx) and old vid card(diamond viper550). Right now my system has the latest everything I believe. Its hard to say exactly when this started too. I did many things around the same time. New CS and HL patches, new vid drivers, new mobo/processor.

These are my specs right now:
Asus mobo(not sure about specifics)
athlon 900mhz
128megs ram
geforce2mx vid card
20gig hd

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
What OS are you running? A similar thing happens to me sometimes (I run Win2K). It never used to happen to me until I patched CS to V1.1 . Now it happens once in a while on its own, and every time I try to alt-tab out.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Maybe a problem with a weak power supply? I know mine is more than a bit anemic; I pulled a card and switched USB mouse to a self powered hub and crash frequency decreased.

Weak power supplies can be the cause of blue screens of death.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it very well could be a bad power supply (usually the black screens are tell-tale signs of ps problems). also, it isnt that likely, but you could be using some very cheap ram and therefore losing some info when its written. Does this happen in any other applications that require a lot of memory writing? (i.e. cd burning, divx ripping/playing...)

I don't have the time to procrastinate.

G

Well, until a few days ago this only happened with HL. Now it has happened a couple times with simple web surfing. It has never happened with cd buring or anything like that.

And I thought about the power supply. I went from a 230w to a 300 and still have the problems. I just tried to run a memory test yesterday and for some reason my whole system is messed up now. It was one of those overnight memory testers using a boot up floppy running in dos. I never ran one before so when I heard it was an overnight deal, I assumed 8-10 hours. Well after 20 hours, it was still going. I had to stop it because I wanted to use my pc. At that point no errors popped up. BUT(big but here) now windows wont load right. It hangs half the time on startup(all I get it a blinking cursor), I am forced to reboot and then it loads in safe mode only. It wont load in anything but 640x480 with 16 colors. I can change the settings but when I reboot, it hangs. I dont understand why all this crap keeps happening ever since I got the new asus board and processor.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
post your complete system specs including all driver versions and bios flashes and well be able to do a lot more for you.

I don't have the time to procrastinate.

G

This just in...DScott79 is an alien spy from AMD - He is out to destroy anything Intel.......

"Ever park your bike in an airplane hanger..."