Sign in with
Your question

Need to know how to change ports.

Last response: in Networking
October 4, 2003 12:39:30 AM

I am running a Westell Wirespeed throug Bellsouth. When trying to play Battlefield, all the ping times come up to 9999 when I click on them. I have read many faqs that tell me to change various port numbers, enable this, disable that, but I have no clue where to begin doing these. Here is what I am supposed to do. Could someone give me some pointers?

Next make sure that any firewall software is disabled and if using a hardware firewall or router that it is properly configured and is not preventing outgoing requests from your network.

You need to enable port 14567 on your router, and DMZ hosting. This should allow you to view games online.

Allow UDP Port 14567
Allow UDP Port 14690
Allow UDP 22000 (This is only for LAN games, and used by computers on the same network)
Allow UDP range 23000-23009
# GameSpy Master Server UDP Heartbeat:
Allow UDP Port 27900
# GameSpy Master Server List Request:
Allow TCP Port 28900

I have no clue how to do any of this.

Tech Support: "Hello, tech support, may I help you?"
Customer: (in a thick Russian accent) "Yes. Monitor is working fine but has sparks and smoke flying out back. Is ok?"

More about : change ports

October 4, 2003 5:51:35 AM

Its telling you to allow certain ports on your router so the game can transfer the information it needs. Those ports are virtual lines that the client/server transfers on to communicate specific kinds of data. If you've done what they asked and disable any firewalls you have, then you shouldn't have an issue. (Disable Norton etc.) If the problem still happens then see if you're connected using a cable modem that has a firewall built in. If this is the case then you'll have to connect to its ip address and maybe there will be an easy interface to disable firewall features. IF that doesn't work call your isp and ask them if the filter ports and see if they filter those listed.

Will work IT for food. Seriously.
!