Windows Auto reconnect - disabling?

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a 2 hour disconnect and at the end of this time 8/10 times i get windows asking me if i want to reconnect, i was wondering if there was a registry entry to remove this as it means that none of my dial-up software then works as windows has kept the port to the modem open, any ideas/suggestions as to other workarounds are also welcome

Thanks

A Life, where can i download one of those from?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
It sounds like your ISP server is detecting an inactive connection with your PC. I know a workaround for that type problem, especially AOL is well known for disconnects. So, if you open a chat window or something that continually scrolls your IP server will leave you connected. You didn't mention who your ISP was therefore, I am guessing that it could be AOL?

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nope i use BT Internet, and the disconnect isnt for inactivity but every 2 hours as its part of the contract, i cant get around it, but i want to stop the pop-up boxes that stop my dialing software from working
thx anyway
Chris

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try this ... maybe it will work.

Double-click on My Computer, and go to the Dial-up Networking folder. Double-click to open it. On the Toolbar, select Connections-Settings. Clear the Redial box. Next, where it says "When establishing a network connection" ... change the selection to: "Don't prompt to use Dial-Up Networking".

This won't stop third-party programs from attempting to dial-out, includin the browser, but it should stop the automatic redial.

As for as I know, the only way to unlock the COM port is to reboot. Or upgrade to Win2k, which doesn't seem to have the glitch.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Thats BT's dum ass software doing it, What I would do is make a new dialiup network account with your bt details in, then remove the existing one and delete bt's dum dialer.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i should have mentioned that i already used a dial up networking customisation, i never used the BT program as it sucks, but their server still severs the connection at 2 hours
:(
KK