Tape Backup Problem

bill

I'm trying to use NTBackup on my W2k SP4 server. When I run NTBackup, my
"Backup Destination" option is gray'ed out and only allows me to backup to a
file.

I have the Yosemite 7.0 SP4 installed and working fine. Device manager
see's my Seagate STT20000A just fine.
Removable Storage Manager is also running.

I have this almost identical hardware & software configuration running on a
test server with no problems. Yosemite & NTBackup are playing nicely
together there.

The server this is running correctly has SATA hard drives and in IDE
interface for the tape drive.

The problem server has a SCSI RAID for the hard drives and an IDE tape
drive, just like the test unit.

The tape drive was not installed at the time the OS was loaded if that
matters to anyone.

Is there something in the registry that needs or can be tweek'ed to correct
this? I've searched on-line for answers to this issue and can not find
anything relating to it.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you!

Bill fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> I'm trying to use NTBackup on my W2k SP4 server. When I run
> NTBackup, my "Backup Destination" option is gray'ed out and only
> allows me to backup to a file.
>
> I have the Yosemite 7.0 SP4 installed and working fine. Device
> manager see's my Seagate STT20000A just fine.
> Removable Storage Manager is also running.
>
> I have this almost identical hardware & software configuration
> running on a test server with no problems. Yosemite & NTBackup are
> playing nicely together there.
>
> The server this is running correctly has SATA hard drives and in IDE
> interface for the tape drive.
>
> The problem server has a SCSI RAID for the hard drives and an IDE tape
> drive, just like the test unit.
>
> The tape drive was not installed at the time the OS was loaded if that
> matters to anyone.
>
> Is there something in the registry that needs or can be tweek'ed to
> correct this? I've searched on-line for answers to this issue and
> can not find anything relating to it.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> Thank you!

I've had this happen with Backup exec. If I stop the BackUp Exec
services it releases the drive for use by NT backup ...

Are you using the default driver for your tape drive or one that came
with your backup software?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

bill

"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> > I'm trying to use NTBackup on my W2k SP4 server. When I run
> > NTBackup, my "Backup Destination" option is gray'ed out and only
> > allows me to backup to a file.
> >
> > I have the Yosemite 7.0 SP4 installed and working fine. Device
> > manager see's my Seagate STT20000A just fine.
> > Removable Storage Manager is also running.
> >
> > I have this almost identical hardware & software configuration
> > running on a test server with no problems. Yosemite & NTBackup are
> > playing nicely together there.
> >
> > The server this is running correctly has SATA hard drives and in IDE
> > interface for the tape drive.
> >
> > The problem server has a SCSI RAID for the hard drives and an IDE tape
> > drive, just like the test unit.
> >
> > The tape drive was not installed at the time the OS was loaded if that
> > matters to anyone.
> >
> > Is there something in the registry that needs or can be tweek'ed to
> > correct this? I've searched on-line for answers to this issue and
> > can not find anything relating to it.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated!
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> I've had this happen with Backup exec. If I stop the BackUp Exec
> services it releases the drive for use by NT backup ...
>
> Are you using the default driver for your tape drive or one that came
> with your backup software?
>

> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Hi Steve,

I didn't load any specific drivers from Yosemite. It's using the device
drivers that came with Windows.

I'll try stopping the Yosemite service to see if it helps. It would be
great if it was that simple! On my test server both NTBackup & Yosemite are
working fine.

Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know what happens!
Bill

bill

Steve,

As you suggested, I tried disabeling the Yosemite "tapeware" service &
re-booting, that did not help.

I still can not see my Seagate tape drive in NTBackup.

I really don't like the Yosemite although it is working and want to use
NTBackup.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!
Bill