New Gaming PC Build - What do you think?

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hey guys I'm new to these forums. Seems like a great place! Well, I've decided on these components. I priced this all out on newegg. If you guys have any ideas on how I could save some bucks let me know. I definitely plan on overclocking the CPU.

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM
eVGA GeForce 8800GTS
LITE-ON Black DVD-ROM (Don't need a burner)
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF 750W PS (buying big so I can expand)
G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400
EVGA 680i SLI MOBO
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler

I already have a soundblaster xtreme music edition x-fi card. I plan on running a second 8800GTS in SLI in another month. Will I be able to fit my x-fi sound card in the other PCI slot with two 8800's in the case? I know they are pretty big.

asusman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Looks great.

Get the DVD Burner, they don't cost much more.
Probably get the 1 GTX instead of two GTS's, SLI still buggy.

Media Center 2005 for the OS.

Maybe a P965 board + 8800 GTX .

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Yeah if I can get the extra cash for a single GTX then I'll go for it. Right now I'm not sure I can afford the extra money. Maybe if my paycheck next friday is big enough :twisted:

Why would you suggest the P965 mobo over the 680i?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
No storage hard drives?

Go with a Seagate Barracuda 320 mg (minimum) 7200.10 w/16 mb cache. Don't bother using a Raptor for storage.....WASTE.

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm planning on adding another hard drive if I need it down the road. As it is I'm only using around 40 gigs anyways with my 80 gig 7200 RPM. I don't download music or movies - I just worry about space for around 4 games. Would it really be a waste to buy the raptor if all I need right now is 74 gigs?

With that MSI board I've read some good and bad things. If I'm new to overclocking will I have any trouble with it?

Should I stick with a 750 Watt PS if I go with a single GTX?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Raptor isn't really necessary, but if you got the money, hey....it's nice to have!

MSI mobo? huh? 965 mobos generally overclock much better......Gigabyte 965P-DS3 and the Biostar 965 as well are great on the cheap. A few deluxe ASUS boards are great, but cost more money. Sounds like you don't need the 680i for SLI..........

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I think I just Put P965 into a newegg search and saw the MSI First lol. I'm not opposed to using a different P965 Board. What is the most stable P965 and easiest to overclock for a newb clocker?

Here is a possible revised list:

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX
LITE-ON Black DVD-ROM
OCZ GameXStream 600W
P965 Board
ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler

asusman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The Raptor is great for rippin/burning DVD's.

Otherwise..meh...

I'm glad I have one, but I use it alot.

OCZ psu's fit any case (bonus), some other's are too wide.

I like the Gigabyte boards myself, cheap and fast.

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Yeah if that raptor isin't going to increase game performance then screw it - I'll just get a seagate. I've had good luck with them in the past. Which hard drive would you guys recommend then?

I'll take a look at the gigabyte boards.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
skyguy, you're talking about the SATA barracuda right? I've read some negative stuff about connecting the drive cables on that gigabyte. They say that since the connections are at the bottom you need longer cables. So would I just buy a longer SATA cable? I'm concerned because that thermaltek case is so large I think it will be a stretch to connect the hard drive and dvd rom to the mobo. I guess I'll need long IDE cables for the DVD drive as well - I wonder how many inches I'll need for both the HD and DVD in that thermaltek case.

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to make sure I have everything I need when I order it. I don't want to buy all the components then wait a week longer because I forget something stupid haha.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
MSI mobo? huh? 965 mobos generally overclock much better......
Huh? Much better than what ?? I must have missed something here. The original post is talking about an EVGA 680i mother board. Now it seems that we're comparing p965 motherboards to MSI motherboards... which doesn't even make sense.

By all accounts I've read so far, the 680i is far superior to the p965 boards. That includes it's ability to overclock as well as the extensive feature set. But accrodingly, it costs a lot more.

As far as I can tell, the MSI is still vapor. If you want 680i, you are really looking at either the EVGA, or the Asus Striker.

p965 is a really good platform, 680i is better. You get what you pay for.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Not a problem. Look at my sig. I have both a Seagate Barracuda and a Western Digital Caviar.

The Gigabtye S3 (or DS3, same layout) have the SATA connectors near the bottom of the mobo. Most mobo's do. They'll have no problem reaching your hard drives. In fact, the cables provided in the mobo box are quite long and I had extra to spare that I had to tuck away behind the drive cage.

Now, the Optical drive is another story. It uses IDE cables, not SATA. The IDE cable on that mobo is lower, yes, but I have no problems again. However, if you have a Thermaltake then you'll have no problem positioning the optical in one of the lower drive bays and the IDE cable will reach no problem. But I'm anal about my cable management, so I bought a rounded IDE cable and it's alot better than the standard ribbon one they include with the mobo.

One last thing: a Cardinal rule of PC Building - GET IT WORKING FIRST, then worry about cable management and drive positioning. Seriously, get it up and running smoothly. Then spend time tying things down, tweaking the cables and whatnot. It'll save you lots of headaches ;)

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
So my cases dimensions are: 20.87" x 8.66" x 22.05" (H x W xD)

Since it's so large what other cables might I need to buy for it? Do you think an 18 inch round IDE cable would do the job if I put the DVD rom at the top of the case? I'm sure all of the products I'm buying come with cables but I'm just worried they might not reach in such a large case. I'm wondering if the supplied power cable/sata cables that come with the seagate barracuda will be long enough.

Is there anything I might be forgetting?

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Yes, 18 inches will be fine. Your ATA socket will be about half way up the case, and only a few lateral inches toward the drive.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah if that raptor isin't going to increase game performance then screw it - I'll just get a seagate. I've had good luck with them in the past. Which hard drive would you guys recommend then?

I'll take a look at the gigabyte boards.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

If you go seagate (I have 6 altogether), be sure it's 7200.10, from what I've read.

The comparisons show the seagate 7200.10s have crept up closer to the raptor performance, and the difference is less than it used to be, especially on just big file reads, like loading a game level. But the raptor is still distinctly faster. If you use your computer constantly and love extra quick responses, the raptor is attractive, if you don't mind the cost and extra noise. For me, I balance everything, and I have 7200.10s and no raptor.

makethemsuffer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Ordered everything from newegg today. Here is what I went with:

Seagate Barracuda Perpendicular 7200.10 250 gig
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 600W
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
ZALMAN 9700 CPU Cooler
LITE-ON Black DVD-ROM
18 inch link depot round ide cable with copper meshing

I just hope that the motherboard or RAM doesn't come Dead!